It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OS Technology Video:Ubuntu 6.10 with XGL & Kiba-Dock

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4ghz) with 1GB ram. ATI Radeon 9800 Pro card. Although my old machine could run XGL perfectly, it was an AMD Athlon XP 1700+ (1.4ghz). Its really the graphics card that matters.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.ubuntu.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
woo... I did'nt thought Compiz was doing such cool things! One more proof that the future is GNU/Linux!

openSUSE also has the 3d desktop functions installed by default. And I think Ubuntu 6.10 should not be promoted so much, as it has many bugs and video issues. There are many other good GNU/Linux OSs out there.. like PClinuxOS, Zenwalk and BLAG that are both very stable and wondefully advanced in their own way.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
just built a dual core Intel 2x3.0gig CPUs 2gig of ram. I am a long time user of Debian which is what Ubuntu is based on. Cant wait to try some of those features out.

How about some linux wallpaper?

Linux fueled Wallpapers

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   
VERY COOL.
I'm currently using Ubuntu 6.06 with X11 as my display, and 3ddesktop as my desktop switcher... I had no idea it had gotten that far.

As for visual problems with ubuntu 6.10, I was not aware of this. I've never had a video issue with my copy of 6.06... but then again, it may be subject to the video card you are using.

By the way... I'm currently editing my corg.conf file every time I want to switch to TV display... anyone know of a small program that can do that for me, so I dont have to edit the conf file every time and restart the X system?

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
VERY COOL.
I'm currently using Ubuntu 6.06 with X11 as my display, and 3ddesktop as my desktop switcher... I had no idea it had gotten that far.

As for visual problems with ubuntu 6.10, I was not aware of this. I've never had a video issue with my copy of 6.06... but then again, it may be subject to the video card you are using.

By the way... I'm currently editing my corg.conf file every time I want to switch to TV display... anyone know of a small program that can do that for me, so I dont have to edit the conf file every time and restart the X system?

Ask to the pros on the Ubuntu forums!

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   
That's pretty cool.

However, why someone would get an E6600 and pair it up with a 9800 pro is really weird.

jra

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   
One of my friends is running Ubuntu with XGL, plus using Wine (a windows emulator) He rarely needs to boot up windows anymore. I'm thinking of switching over in the near future as well.

apc

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
ATI... ick...

ATI + Linux = headache.

I just wiped debian and loaded XP. I'm moving my workstation to be a part-time HTPC and MythTV didn't meet my needs, so MCE it is. Crossover (wine) and VMWare could provide most, but not all of the windows functionality needed.

Windows will always be playing catchup as far as pretty looking GUIs. Linux will always be hands down the way to go for total system and hardware control.

>
or O/N/FBSD

[edit on 27-2-2007 by apc]

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Don't get me wrong... cool video and all and I certainly support the open-source movement... but how is any of that useful?

I only watched five minutes or so, but it certainly looks like Ubuntu can do all manner of spinning and stretching and bouncing and what have you. But i guess that's mostly to distract you from the fact that you can't play any fricking games on it. Application software and basic games like NetHack see a lot of use around here, but my computer-gaming hobby barely edges out my rewriting-the-source-of-my-own-OS hobby, for some crazy reason. Until Linux gets its gaming-compatibility panties out of a bunch I'm gonna be stuck over here staring out of the Windows.

[edit on 27-2-2007 by The Parallelogram]

top topics

join