It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois Senate OKs Stem Cell Research

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   

The Illinois Senate voted Friday to spend state tax dollars on embryonic stem cell research, despite objections from those who argue the research destroys human life.
The measure passed 35-23 and now goes to the Illinois House.

Democratic Gov. Rod Blagojevich has already used his executive powers to fund stem cell research.
He created the Illinois Regenerative Medicine Institute, which has awarded $15 million in grants.
The Senate legislation would make the institute and its grants a part of state law.

Supporters say embryonic stem cells could yield treatments for a wide variety of diseases, including diabetes and Alzheimer's.
They argue the cells are taken only from embryos created for in vitro fertilization that would otherwise be discarded.

SOURCE:
Physorg.com

I'm glad to see this kind of thing hapening.

Hopefully more states will pass similiar legislation.

Ever seince President Bush's idiotic and hindering banning of federal
funding for Stem Cell research do to his misguided religious beliefs,
I've been worried that private corporations would be the only ones
doing the research, and would subsequently not be as honest.
However, seeing the states pass this kind of things gives me hope
that it won't be as bad as I'd previously thought.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   
While I agree with you completely that this is a positive step, I just thought it would be good to point out that President Bush hasn't banned federal funding for stem cell research, he has banned federal funding for the creation of new lines of embyronic stem cells. There are still many viable (albeit for a short time) lines of embryonic stem cells that enjoy full federal funding.

new topics

join