It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New X-Ray Machine "Strips You Naked" At Airports

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   

New X-Ray Machine "Strips You Naked" At Airports

Source Link: www.msnbc.msn.com

A new X-ray machine for detecting weapons and explosives on airline passengers makes its debut today in Phoenix.

The so-called “backscatter” device will be used at one checkpoint in one terminal at Sky Harbor International Airport.

The machine visually strips off clothing, although a Transportation Security Administration spokesman says the image it projects looks more like a chalk drawing than a real person.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Now that's some technology! Would make the screening process much quicker and alot more thorough I would think. I wonder which group will be crying foul first?

When I was a kid I ordered those X-Ray Specs from an ad in the back of a comic book. It promised that I could see right through peoples clothes without them knowing it. What I got was a pair of sunglasses with cardboard covering most of the lenses. There were just two little pinholes in each of the lenses. The cardboard had a lightning bolt design printed on it. Yep, those glasses were real subtle. Things didn't work at all. Now they have this! I wonder if I can get me one of these super X-Ray machines?
Man that would be cool!

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
sounds good.

Only thing is though, wouldnt this put a limit on a persons travel per year? you only can have a certain ammount of x-rays a year before it becomes dangerous to your body.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Quite the piece of equipment. Doesn't quite make people look naked, but it's very effective.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
sounds good.

Only thing is though, wouldnt this put a limit on a persons travel per year? you only can have a certain ammount of x-rays a year before it becomes dangerous to your body.

That's actually a very good point. I wonder how that would work if it was instituted at every airport?

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
It's not actually an X-Ray machine. It used millimetre wave frequencies to penetrate certain layers. Nevertheless, I wonder what repeated exposure of the body to such high frequencies will be, as I doubt that there has been any long term testing data available.

Hey Miss, can you step through the detector again please? Hold it, backup and go through again.... and again....

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
The xrays used with this device are far less than the normal xray used to see bones. This barely can get through clothing.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Those who choose not to go through the backscatter will be given a standard pat-down instead.

If people want to cry foul then they can just have the 'standard pat down'

No one will be forced through the machine, so no one can cry foul over it.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
The xrays used with this device are far less than the normal xray used to see bones. This barely can get through clothing.

I assume that would make it less hazardous then? Would there be a limit before it became dangerous? Like the business man who flies 100 times a year. Would he be in danger? Like BritGuy said there is probably no long term testing.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Well then, they'll probably have a punch card or something. after 100 times or something, you just get the pat down for 6 months.

I dunno, either way, its a great idea. It keeps the security safe, the lines flowing, and a definitive look at the suspects posessions.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar

I dunno, either way, its a great idea. It keeps the security safe, the lines flowing, and a definitive look at the suspects posessions.

I agree with you fully Wolf. Sounds like a great plan, at least on paper.

top topics

join