It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Talk about White Privilege

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley
Well if you go back a page you'll see thats what I had the problem with. It's universally used as a racial slur.. you needed to be told that we are not all alike. Now apparently you just think that all american whites are alike.. in hich case I'd but in anyway because I don't like racism.

Well, then...

All those forms that ask you for your race must be abolished, as they are racist. You see, these forms have a bubble called "White." This is clearly racist, according to you.

We better notify the Federal Census Bureau...

Thats not what the TOPIC and OP say. It speaks of both so yes we have enough reason to give our 2c.

No, you keep referencing Australia to derail this topic. Again, thanks for the laughs.

Thats not what I meant.. your personality was different. We're not suspecting you.. we are just telling you that you got caught out.

Riiight.

Again.. completely different style than the OP. Yours is more layed back yet the other was rigid and patronising.
Perhaps when people shop for ghost writers they should actually get someone that sounds like them.

[It gave me a laugh anyway..]

Riiight. I am incapable of commenting on articles. OK.

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury to know that my race had nothing to do with this incapability...

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Pardon me for going off-topic for a moment, but....

I could swear that I have seen this exact same quote posted in another thread here at PTS sometime in the past few months...

Which tells me what? The same person authored both posts? Or is it just coincidence?

I'll have to do a little digging...

Here's what white privilege sounds like:

I am sitting in my University of Texas office, talking to a very bright and very conservative white student about affirmative action in college admissions, which he opposes and I support.

The student says he wants a level playing field with no unearned advantages for anyone. I ask him whether he thinks that in the United States being white has advantages. Have either of us, I ask, ever benefited from being white in a world run mostly by white people? Yes, he concedes, there is something real and tangible we could call white privilege.

So, if we live in a world of white privilege--unearned white privilege--how does that affect your notion of a level playing field? I ask.

He paused for a moment and said, "That really doesn't matter."

That statement, I suggested to him, reveals the ultimate white privilege: the privilege to acknowledge you have unearned privilege but ignore what it means.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Welcome to life!

Race priviledge was not begun by whites. Whites at one time were not the 'rulers' of the planet. So race priviledge ebbs and flows with time.

If one is not in a position to make the rules of the game, one must play the game as it is.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Yes, Ceci has used that source/quote before. If some posters are trying to insinuate that Ceci wrote the OP, come right out and say it.

Personally, I don't think that is true.

So hows about that topic? Am I the only white person who thinks that there may be some truth to the concept of white privilege?

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by nextguyinline
Welcome to life!

Race priviledge was not begun by whites. Whites at one time were not the 'rulers' of the planet. So race priviledge ebbs and flows with time.

If one is not in a position to make the rules of the game, one must play the game as it is.

Well...

Thanks for your honesty on white privilege.

Just know I REFUSE to assimilate, though I must be subjected to the negative consequences stemming from white privilege, likely for the rest of my days.

But again, thanks for your honesty.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
NOTE...

The title and topic of discussion IS

Real Talk about White Privilege » Post Reply

... with NO stated restriction as to geographic location nor circumstance.

PLEASE avoid the personal attacks or character associations, and perhaps just stick to the Actual topic of discussion.

Real Talk about White Privilege » Post Reply

Do carry on
... in accordance with the T&C, mind you.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
Yes, Ceci has used that source/quote before. If some posters are trying to insinuate that Ceci wrote the OP, come right out and say it.

Personally, I don't think that is true.

So hows about that topic? Am I the only white person who thinks that there may be some truth to the concept of white privilege?

THANK YOU, Duzey.

I noted what you said in your last sentence there earlier.

I also would like these posters to come out and say this. Just know that Ceci is currently on a posting ban longer than the usual one. But hey, if she's my ghost writer, she can pop into my head and control my fingers, right? Ghosts can do a lot of things, I hear...

Affirmative action, Australia's similarities to America, civilization being unknown to people of African descent, my incapability of putting together a well-thought out, intellectual post...

ANYTHING will be discussed except white privilege.

Just know that the denial/avoidance of white privilege is an integral part of white privilege...

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Today's version of white privilege is probably nothing more than "circling the wagons" in response to the advantages being given to non-whites.

I see nothing wrong with white privilege, as long as it doesn't break any laws.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Today's version of white privilege is probably nothing more than "circling the wagons" in response to the advantages being given to non-whites.

I see nothing wrong with white privilege, as long as it doesn't break any laws.

Again, thanks for your honesty.

You DO know that white privilege breaks a NUMBER of laws, not to mention exposes the lie of America as "the country with the most freedom and equality in the world."

At least you will say out loud what others will not. Thanks for that.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
TS..

You can't refuse to assimilate. Because you can't see it.

The next time you have to apply for a job, and are accepted, be sure to ask if their were any black applicants, and ask if their credentials were on par or above par of yours. Then ask why you were hired and not the other.

Rhetorical I know, but I hope the point was made.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
I also would like these posters to come out and say this. Just know that Ceci is currently on a posting ban longer than the usual one. But hey, if she's my ghost writer, she can pop into my head and control my fingers, right? Ghosts can do a lot of things, I hear...

Thanks for that info, truthseeka. I was wondering where ceci was - haven't heard from her in a few days. Is there a list somewhere of who is currently on a posting ban?

Well, I guess there's always email, eh?

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Lets all stick to the topic at hand. None of us came here to discuss each other's personalities or communication styles.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   

TS..

You can't refuse to assimilate. Because you can't see it.

The next time you have to apply for a job, and are accepted, be sure to ask if their were any black applicants, and ask if their credentials were on par or above par of yours. Then ask why you were hired and not the other.

Rhetorical I know, but I hope the point was made.

Sure I can.

I currently work with mostly white people (there's an Asian and Indian girl in one of the labs I work in
). And, guess what; NO ASSIMILATION. When I finish school, I'll be working with mostly white people. WILL NOT BE ASSIMILATING WHITE CULTURE THEN, EITHER.

I'll stay true to myself, true to my fam, true to my people. You see, I can have non-black friends/co-workers/acquaintances, without assimilating white culture. I can even enjoy some aspects of white culture (well, music's probably the only one, though most white music came from black music...) without assimilating.

I STILL can/do go back to the hood. And, unlike a common assertion, the peeps in the hood don't hate me because I'm successful; they give me big ups for getting that "white folks money" (though I won't be paid as much if I would be for being a white male).

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   
My fault, Nygdan.

Didn't see your post until now. I'll keep it on top now...

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
lol, I have to admit, I'm confused.
I don't know if your a black man or white man. Not terribly important, but it would help me understand your positions. Haha, forgive me.

If your a white man, do you accept your full salary as it is, or did you negotiate lower, as not to take advantage of the priviledge?

If your a black man, nevermind, my last post was with a white man in mind. Again, sorry.

I also assumed 'assimilate', was regarding accepting the priviledge, not the culture.

Thanks for your honesty.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
White privlege is a term invented by academics once most of societys great wrongs with regard to discrimination, had been corrected.

I was born in the 1950s. Back then it was legal to discriminate against minorities with regard to housing, loans, jobs, schools etc.

The laws have all been changed. You can no longer discriminate based on race etc. That means you can attend any school that you can get into. You can buy any house that you can afford. You can start a business. Basically in the US you can do anything legally that you want.

Except only about 1/3 of the African Americans have made it into the middle class. In my town, skin color means little. It's an upper middle class area with great schools. Kids in these schools go on to some of the best colleges in the US. Oppertunities about for everyone if they care to take advantage of those oppertunities.

Teachers bend over backwards to make sure that everyone is included yet some people still lag behind. Why?

If you don't value education don't try to blame those people whose family's have place a high value on education.

So now, academics have to come up with a reason for failure. They have to explain why under represented minorities continue to fail or succeed at a lower rate. Instead of placing the blame on families of children who are failing they have come up wih "White Privlege". In other words you can't succeed unless you are white. But that doesn't explain the black middle class. How on earth did they succeed.

And, it especially doesn't explain how immigrants of color do better than native born people of color.

It also doesn't explain how CHineese, Japaneese Koreans, and people from India do so well here in the US despite all the "White Privlege" that is holding them back.

From my own experience, I'm working too hard to hold someone else back. I've raised a family, put myself through college and grad school, and just don't buy into the premise that I have some special privialege because of the color of my skin.

People need to take responsibility for themselves and stop looking for an excuse for failure.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   

lol, I have to admit, I'm confused.
I don't know if your a black man or white man. Not terribly important, but it would help me understand your positions. Haha, forgive me.

If your a white man, do you accept your full salary as it is, or did you negotiate lower, as not to take advantage of the priviledge?

If your a black man, nevermind, my last post was with a white man in mind. Again, sorry.

I also assumed 'assimilate', was regarding accepting the priviledge, not the culture.

Thanks for your honesty.

I won't say what I'm thinking, but I'll say this...

What part of I won't make as much money if it was a WHITE MALE did you miss?

Wow...just, wow...:shk:

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Wildbob, you obviously didn't read the articles.

Though you likely have worked hard for what you have, you've also had white privilege helping you, whether you like it or not. Dr. Jensen's article would make things clearer for you.

I could post figures showing that white males make more money than anyone else with their same qualifications, but I doubt you would believe that. And that's just ONE example.

Like it or not, white privilege has helped you get to where you are now. AND, the flipside is that white privilege helps keep minorities where they are. It's an ugly fact of American society; you can choose to ignore it or not, but you will still benefit from it.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Well it was an honest mistake.

And your salary?

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I really don't understand the point of this thread. What exactly is the point?

Are you trying to prove that white privelege exists?

Like it or not, white privilege has helped you get to where you are now. AND, the flipside is that white privilege helps keep minorities where they are. It's an ugly fact of American society; you can choose to ignore it or not, but you will still benefit from it.

Or are you just trying to get people to admit that they benefit from it?

Whatever the case, I would think that all the recent "racism" threads would show you that you are obviously milking a dry well here.

[edit on 23-2-2007 by phoenixhasrisin]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join