It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Talk about White Privilege

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Of course I'm not denying such laws have been created. However, these laws (besides when they're broken) do LITTLE to counter the historical privileges whites in America have received.

Do you believe these laws were written to counter historical attrocities or to make things equal after the laws were enacted?

Prime examples of laws created to help non-whites that have been broken:

Do you want me to post examples of the reverse? They are there and I think we both know this is not a perfect world.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by shooterbrody
Do you believe these laws were written to counter historical attrocities or to make things equal after the laws were enacted?

And there lies the rub.

These laws created in the last 40 years only "ended" discrimination, lynchings, etc. They were NOT created to address the past legacy of white privilege.

I'm GLAD you pointed that out. This makes the furor over AA THAT much more ridiculous. AA was supposedly designed to "even the playing field for everyone." Yet, not only is it vehemently opposed, white privilege (which STILL exists after AA is created) is swept under the rug, or, more appropriately, put back into the knapsack.

The problem here is that laws have been enacted with non-whites in mind only. They have NOT been created with the abolishment of white privilege in mind. Of course, I have my opinions on why this is so...

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   

past legacy of white privilege

I don't think you will get much arguement in a discussion about past wrongs done to minorities. Do you intend to hold the son, grandson ect.. responsible for the sins of the father? The area you will find arguement in is what remidies will be made. Whites still make up almost 70% of the population. I don't think minorities will ever see financial restitution. The state of Virginia did apologize for slavery and exploiting native americans.
www.ajc.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   

past legacy of white privilege

I don't think you will get much arguement in a discussion about past wrongs done to minorities. Do you intend to hold the son, grandson ect.. responsible for the sins of the father? The area you will find arguement in is what remidies will be made. Whites still make up almost 70% of the population. I don't think minorities will ever see financial restitution. The state of Virginia did apologize for slavery and exploiting native americans.
www.ajc.com...

I'm noticing something, here.

It's quite EASY for some of the white posters in here who disagree with my evidence to relent that whites have been historically privileged in America. However, when I point out that white privilege STILL exists, they do NOT want to accept that. Why do you think that is?

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
And, I APPLAUD government officials in Virginia making this apology for both slavery and the atrocities committed against Native Americans.
Thanks for that info...really.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
The problem here is that laws have been enacted with non-whites in mind only. They have NOT been created with the abolishment of white privilege in mind. Of course, I have my opinions on why this is so...

Well, how would "white privilege" be abolished, since it is only a state of mind? Write up a draft law, ceec, and present it to us; don't worry, we won't hold you to spelling or grammar, since you're (did I get that right?) in the top 3%.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
When It is stated...

The concrete benefits of access to resources and social rewards and the power to shape the norms and values of society which Whites receive, unconsciously or consciously, by virtue of their skin color in a racist society

I told you I don't believe we live in a racist society. I haven't experienced some secret society which pushes whites forward. I haven't had any help or special treatment. There has been no wealth passed along in my family.
Show me how those in my generation have had any less opportunity. Public school high school diploma, some college due to military service, then a job at a utility due to military experience. How is that any different than what someone else could expect?

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Well, how would "white privilege" be abolished, since it is only a state of mind? Write up a draft law, ceec, and present it to us; don't worry, we won't hold you to spelling or grammar, since you're (did I get that right?) in the top 3%.

Becky, becky, becky...

You seem to be preoccupied with my intellect. Let it go. You have brought this up in the last few posts of yours I've seen (seriously). Are you upset because of this? TOO BAD.

Based on the quality of the MAJORITY of your posts I've seen, I have my own ideas about your motivation to harp on this...

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Well since the rational posts have no influence to this thread and it is based off of one persons "OPINION" I am done .... Thank GOODNESS ONCE AGAIN HE SHOWS US HIS/HER OPINION ... WOOHOOOO ... Gotta love the opinions .... HAHAHAHA

Originally posted by jsobecky

Becky, becky, becky...

You seem to be preoccupied with my intellect. Let it go. You have brought this up in the last few posts of yours I've seen (seriously). Are you upset because of this? TOO BAD.

Based on the quality of the MAJORITY of your posts I've seen, I have my own ideas about your motivation to harp on this...

[edit on 10-3-2007 by Deus_Brandon]

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I think Obama Had something to tell you bro ... HAHAHAHA

Funny Thing is Hillary brought her SECRET weapon of a husband .. WHICH .. QUOTE -- UN QUOTE has a very strong tie to the BLACKS HAHAHAHAHHA !!!!!!!!!!!! Dangit sorry about that I had to get up off of the GROUND .. APOLOGIES for laughing so hard.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I told you I don't believe we live in a racist society.

That's fine; you're entitled to your beliefs, as is anyone else.

But, when you consider that whites dominate the political arena, the media (try this little experiment: flip through all of your TV channels and see which race is most highly represented), positions of power/management positions in jobs, the educational arena, etc., you can see why some people disagree.

Public school high school diploma, some college due to military service, then a job at a utility due to military experience. How is that any different than what someone else could expect?

Many people don't make it past your first step, getting a high school diploma.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Am I on GLobal Ignore ... LOL ...HAHAHAHAHA .. Te blacks are so mistreated ... That must be the reason Hillary and Barrack Obama are goign out of their way to go to the black neighborhoods and try and get them to vote for them. Hmmmmmmmmm ... Yes they are totally left out of the Loop ... Man Where are you living at !?!??

I told you I don't believe we live in a racist society.

That's fine; you're entitled to your beliefs, as is anyone else.

But, when you consider that whites dominate the political arena, the media (try this little experiment: flip through all of your TV channels and see which race is most highly represented), positions of power/management positions in jobs, the educational arena, etc., you can see why some people disagree.

Public school high school diploma, some college due to military service, then a job at a utility due to military experience. How is that any different than what someone else could expect?

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deus_Brandon
Well since the rational posts have no affluence to this thread and it is based off of one persons "OPINION" I am done .... Thank GOODNESS ONCE AGAIN HE SHOWS US HIS/HER OPINION ... WOOHOOOO ... Gotta love the opinions .... HAHAHAHA

Well, at least this post was readable. Too bad it still doesn't make much sense.

Do you mean rational posts such as yours, Deus? I DO know you mean "influence" instead of "affluence," though your posts are always quite rich.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Do you consider that almost 70% of the population is white? Shouldn't society in general be a reflection of the percentage of each race? All races are represented on television these days. On my cable system there are black channels,latino channels,and asian channels. Those are race exclusive channels in addition to representation on the "broadcast" channels.

That is not due to a lack of opportunity. I am all for education for EVERYONE. You can't make someone do what they don't want to do. Are educational values stressed in the black community? Are these children shown the impact of having an education?

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Do you consider that almost 70% of the population is white? Shouldn't society in general be a reflection of the percentage of each race? All races are represented on television these days. On my cable system there are black channels,latino channels,and asian channels. Those are race exclusive channels in addition to representation on the "broadcast" channels.

Ah, the old lie of majority rule in America.

We have a republic, NOT mob rule (democracy) in America.

That is not due to a lack of opportunity. I am all for education for EVERYONE. You can't make someone do what they don't want to do. Are educational values stressed in the black community? Are these children shown the impact of having an education?

I beg to differ.

Before I discuss the black community, consider the Native American community, the invisible minority. There's a special term for dropping out of school at it pertains to them: kickout, or pushout. This refers to their tendency to leave the school system because it does not address their special needs.

The primary need here is education in their own language/customs. When they are instructed in their native tongues, their educational performance is comparable to that of white students. However, when they have to go through school in English, their performance in schools plummets. This is called the crossover effect.

Now, for the black community. There is a significant correlation between being black and being poor in America. Combine this with the continued segregation in America (through such means as projects in inner-cities, redlining, racial gerrymandering, and zoning laws), and you have the poor blacks concentrated in certain neighborhoods.

The wealth of neighborhoods highly correlates with the quality of the educational facilities in said neighborhood. So, more affluent neighborhoods have higher quality schools, and vice versa for poorer neighborhoods. Higher quality schools lead to higher quality education, which leads to higher high school graduation rates. And of course, vice versa.

As you can see, this is NOT a cut and dry situation here; it is quite complex.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   

We have a republic, NOT mob rule (democracy) in America.

Isn't it a representitive republic? ie..the rep is elected by a majority of votes in his/her district.
#of reps determined by population, and equal # of senators?
So with 70% of the population wouldn't you expect a similar percentage of representation?

The primary need here is education in their own language/customs. When they are instructed in their native tongues

How many native americans frequently communicate in their native tongue? I have spent a decent amount of time around native americans and NEVER heard them speak anything but english. If you have sources to cite use of native languages I would be happy to check them out but IMOHO that is wrong.

Now, for the black community. There is a significant correlation between being black and being poor in America.

I was poor and 60% of my high school was black. Being poor has nothing to do with being able to learn.

Higher quality schools lead to higher quality education, which leads to higher high school graduation rates.

Again I disagree. The town in which I currently reside has a 45% dropout rate, much higher than the high school I attended, and it has MUCH better facilities and programs. Oh and it is less than 10% black.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Isn't it a representitive republic? ie..the rep is elected by a majority of votes in his/her district.
#of reps determined by population, and equal # of senators?
So with 70% of the population wouldn't you expect a similar percentage of representation?

Sure, when you have various measures to minimize the effects of minority voting.

How many native americans frequently communicate in their native tongue? I have spent a decent amount of time around native americans and NEVER heard them speak anything but english. If you have sources to cite use of native languages I would be happy to check them out but IMOHO that is wrong.

Did you go to their houses? And of course, the sociologists are just flat out WRONG AGAIN with their terminology, i.e. the crossover effect (glad I'm not a sociologist
)

I was poor and 60% of my high school was black. Being poor has nothing to do with being able to learn.

I didn't say it did. I said being poor means you are more likely to not have access to a quality education.

Again I disagree. The town in which I currently reside has a 45% dropout rate, much higher than the high school I attended, and it has MUCH better facilities and programs. Oh and it is less than 10% black.

I said there's a correlation, not an absolute guarantee of all outcomes.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Now, for the black community. There is a significant correlation between being black and being poor in America. Combine this with the continued segregation in America (through such means as projects in inner-cities, redlining, racial gerrymandering, and zoning laws), and you have the poor blacks concentrated in certain neighborhoods.

Show me a dmeographic area ANYWHERE in the world where the white people on the other side of the street are in better shape then the Black people living across the road. Oh, thats right you can't show it to me.

The wealth of neighborhoods highly correlates with the quality of the educational facilities in said neighborhood. So, more affluent neighborhoods have higher quality schools, and vice versa for poorer neighborhoods. Higher quality schools lead to higher quality education, which leads to higher high school graduation rates. And of course, vice versa.

And what does this have to do with Black people ? Are you saying that the black people tend stay together and not seperate into different neighborhoods. If you are saying this then why aren't there any white people moving into the neighborhood ? Do you think it is because they feel unsafe or possibly feel as if they are not being treated the same as all of the other black members of the neighborhood ?? Hmmm , That could be a thread in itself. BTW, there are not but one neighborhood that I can think of that is PREDOMINATELY black where I live other than the neighborhood that I am referring too that I used to go get pot from whenever I used to smoke in which there are some white's and Mexicans even in these neighborhoods. Yet, the only reason that they feel or are left unaffiliated with the violence that the other Whites and Mexicans is because they do not stoop to selling drugs or doing DRUGS. Whether it be Cocaine, Marijuana, Exctasy, Meth,(which by the way where I am from is PREDOMINATEY a WHITE DRUG)

As you can see, this is NOT a cut and dry situation here; it is quite complex.

As you should be able to open your eyes up and stop saying this is happening to these neighborhoods when you are grouping together a neighborhood that is 70% black 10% white and 20% Mexican. THIS IS NOT SHOUTING about WHITE'S Having privledges ... This is a precentage ... I wonder why those White are in that situation ??? Could it possibly be the lifestyle they are living !?!?!?? Hmmm .... Like Carlos Mencia says Duuuueeerrrrr der derrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I can find Correlations in just about eveyrthing in life ... When you start taking Correlation and using them as FACTS and basing your opinions on such things ... Then you are thinking how should I say ... So you COULD UNDERSTAND such a under educated person as myself ..."THE GLASS IS HALF EMPTY" in stead of verse visa ...

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
OBAMA Has something to tell you ... Or maybe you will take it better from CLinton ... as he is the "Blacks" favorite as it said in a News article .... HAHAHAH ... Hey how do you get all the blacks to like you while you are in the OVAL Office ?? HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHH .......... You woulda thought George Would have already figured this one out ...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join