It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Global Warming is like smoking...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Can you guys comment on the quote from the article I posted? I mean, if we, as Canadians specifically are doing all these things to prevent GHG's from being emitted, what is the point if China will just replace them in a matter of months? It makes our sacrifices completely irrelevant. I am not saying we should stop limiting our emissions, but it seems pointless.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by LuDaCrIs
Can you guys comment on the quote from the article I posted? I mean, if we, as Canadians specifically are doing all these things to prevent GHG's from being emitted, what is the point if China will just replace them in a matter of months? It makes our sacrifices completely irrelevant. I am not saying we should stop limiting our emissions, but it seems pointless.

Yes, that is a good point, although "Global warming is not like smoking".

The scientists who claim global Warming is being caused by man say the main cause is CO2, but CO2 is not a pollutant.

Like what you said above, we are given plans such as "the Kyoto protocol" where meanwhile nations like the U.S. Canada, the U.K. and such have to cut their emissions, meanwhile countries like China, India and others would be allowed not only to maintain their greenhouse gas emissions, but to increase them.

Some people will claim that because these countries have more people, they should be allowed to have more emissions....but then again isn't the whole idea about implementing plans such as the Kyoto protocol about cutting down greenhouse global emissions to stop Climate Change?

If that was really the goal, then why allow countries like China to increase their emissions when we know that by 2009 China alone will surpass the U.S. in greenhouse gas emissions?.... and we know that 7 out of the 10 most polluted cities in the world are in China, and the Chinese have the most polluted rivers in the world also....

Plans like the "Kyoto protocol", are nothing more than a way to squeeze money from developed nations, meanwhile countries like China and India increase their greenhouse gas emissions...

[edit on 24-2-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LuDaCrIs
what is the point if China will just replace them in a matter of months?

I'm all for persoanl decisions to recycle and place whatever limits one wishes on energy consumption.
We do what we can at home.

But, as long as corporations send manufacturing to countries like China so that they can avoid the EPA, I have no use for politicians/scientists trying to sell me on their version of global warming.
How can we worry about hat the US or any industrialized country is doing to the earth when China's rivers are turning into cesspools?

I don't think this thread is about whether or not there is Global Warmning, that is for another topic.
But whether we should deal with the hypocrisy about cleaning "our" air while "their" air is allowed to get dirtier.
There is no us vs them---the planet is one unit.

BTW, I liked your analogy to giving up smoking.
I just don't think I want to give up smoking my low tar filter lite ciggies when others are allowed to smoke Camels.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I believe when it comes to the debate over global warming, and its causes, be it man-made, or natural cycles, or a combination of both. Many have already made their minds up, which if you will pardon my saying so, is quite arrogant and ignorant.

If you really want to take an analytical look into the subject and actually research the topic you'll find enough to support just about all theories related to global warming, and if you have a particular stance or leaning, perhaps political motive, you will find and present information that supports your argument. In the end this does little to get to the actual unbiased data. So it is a debate no one can win.

If you have an open mind, and are not subject or preconceived motivating factors, and do some actual real research... You may be surprised where the data leads you.

Rather than try to predict an unknown future, why not just look at the trends in global temperature and weather anomalies over the last several decades. There are many ups and downs, but the overall trend (like the stock market) is up... as in global average temperatures are increasing, and in the last few years that upward trend seems to be accelerating. Something is causing it. Glaciers are melting, and some are already gone, many were there for thousands of years and are now a small fraction of what they once were. Polar ice is melting at a rapid rate... Etc.

No good will come from a debate with many key players basing their arguments on preconceived notions. Critical thinking and real research are what this topic requires, and deserves. Lets go where the data takes us, and not where someone wants us to look. The truth no matter what the cause or ultimate effect, will be revealed at some point.

Just my thoughts.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join