It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer Help Line

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Do you have problems that you need answers to? Ask me, JeanLucPicard!

[Edited on 20-12-2003 by JeanLucPicard]

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Why can't I log into ATS or BTS with internet explorer. When I try it just take we right back to the main form page, it doesn't even say my password is incorrect or user name. I have reset my password, changed the setting back to normal, and I have restored my computer. The only way I can log into ATS now is with Netscape. So if you have any answer to this question that would be great.

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I just installed Windows XP Pro in my computer not too long ago. I was running Windows 2000 Pro but decided it to be outdated. So I upgraded.

I was browsing the internet and came accross on of those annoying sites which pop open a million windows. I soon after noticed two short cuts on my desk top and my start page changed.

I've had these problems before and are easily fixed with Search Bot S & D. I ran it, it found something and removed. I thought it was case closed.

After using the internet for 10 min after it was installed again ran Spy bot, removed the same adware! So I ran a virus scanner. I found a DSO exploit on my computer. Removed it, thought it was case closed. 10 mins later it was back again!

I went on web attack to look for some more adware/spyware removal tools, install 2 high rated one. Found them but it just some how reinstalled again.

I put a firewall on the computer Nortans Firewall, with the newest rule set downloaded. I blocked all Active X and Java scripts on the computer. This seemed to solved the problem but with a side effect. Flash wouldn't work. So I turned that off. Ther problem continued.

I tried updating windows to the latest service packs and critical updates. Still the problom continue. I decided to install dfifernt browsers on the computer to replace IE. I was relized it only happened while running IE. Since then the problem hasn't continued as long as I don't use IE. But for me, it's still annoying that I can't slove this problem.

It redirects my start page, but that part of the problem is easily fixed. Maybe the name of the start page would help. Quicksearchgenealogy.com (DON't GO THERE!)

Do you guys have any ideas?

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I had that same problem once and I used the same software you used to try to get rid of it. The only way I got rid of it was to use windows restore, and that fixed it for me. But when my computer got back to normal I installed Search bot S & D and some ad blocking software, and a firewall and nothing has happen seen then.

I was also told it could of been a virus. So I tried a virus scan software found nothing, so then went on the web and found a page how to manual take it off but it was to late then.

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Yea I was getting so annoyed with it I almost was going to reinstall XP from scratch. But I'll try a system restore like you mentioned first.

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by deathdragon
Why can't I log into ATS or BTS with internet explorer. When I try it just take we right back to the main form page, it doesn't even say my password is incorrect or user name. I have reset my password, changed the setting back to normal, and I have restored my computer. The only way I can log into ATS now is with Netscape. So if you have any answer to this question that would be great.

Make sure you are allowing Cookies to be saved on your computer. Check the security setting in IE and make sure they aren't set too high.

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 07:13 AM
link   
deathdragon

Do you have cookies enabled?

oconnection

I had the same problem. And, I still do. They implant there information on your registry I belive. SO, I got rid of it by removing it's registry keys. Do you have any Gator software installed?

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Now it work, but I didn't do anything to it. But before it started to work I had cookies enabled. I went in a couple of time to make sure they were. I also didn't have any Gator software installed, and when I do have it in a program I just delete it on of the registry.

Thank for your help.

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 12:29 PM
link   
No problem, happy that I could help...

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Thanks for the help of getting my Avatar up and running.

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 08:59 PM
link   
No problem Global. Happy I could help you!

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Our current Members are

JeanLucPicard, dreamlandmafia, Dmsoldier, mOjOm, Nightwalker, QueenoftheInnocent

[Edited on 21-12-2003 by JeanLucPicard]

[Edited on 23-12-2003 by JeanLucPicard]

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 01:22 PM
link   
deathdragon i find the best spyware removel software to be adaware download.com.com...

i find the best way is to scan ALL files and folders

I came acrose that typ of virus/spyware when going to some "xxx" sites

PS:what free anti virus you guys find the best, iv been using AVG 6

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by oconnection
I just installed Windows XP Pro in my computer not too long ago. I was running Windows 2000 Pro but decided it to be outdated. So I upgraded.

I was browsing the internet and came accross on of those annoying sites which pop open a million windows. I soon after noticed two short cuts on my desk top and my start page changed.

I've had these problems before and are easily fixed with Search Bot S & D. I ran it, it found something and removed. I thought it was case closed.

After using the internet for 10 min after it was installed again ran Spy bot, removed the same adware! So I ran a virus scanner. I found a DSO exploit on my computer. Removed it, thought it was case closed. 10 mins later it was back again!

I went on web attack to look for some more adware/spyware removal tools, install 2 high rated one. Found them but it just some how reinstalled again.

I put a firewall on the computer Nortans Firewall, with the newest rule set downloaded. I blocked all Active X and Java scripts on the computer. This seemed to solved the problem but with a side effect. Flash wouldn't work. So I turned that off. Ther problem continued.

I tried updating windows to the latest service packs and critical updates. Still the problom continue. I decided to install dfifernt browsers on the computer to replace IE. I was relized it only happened while running IE. Since then the problem hasn't continued as long as I don't use IE. But for me, it's still annoying that I can't slove this problem.

It redirects my start page, but that part of the problem is easily fixed. Maybe the name of the start page would help. Quicksearchgenealogy.com (DON't GO THERE!)

Do you guys have any ideas?

Goto Start click on run type in "regedit" goto
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\windows\current version\run
if you uninstall, or delete something and it continues to re-install check out that path and see if it's in there if it is delete it. IF YOU DELETE SOMETHING IN THE REGISTRY YOU CAN SERIOUSLY HARM YOUR COMPUTER.

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Sounds like you still have spyware installed. Try resetting your homepage to what you want it. Go here run this little box of magic to see if it picks anything yours missed. If it finds anything, then you need a better checker than you have. this one will clean it if you buy it. but i use it as a back up for mine to be on the safe side.

If that doesn't work, run a trojan checker as it points to one of them.

Do NOT play with the registery unless you know exactly what you are doing.

[Edited on 23-12-2003 by QueenoftheInnocent]

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Adware solution !

I finally solved my problem with that pesky adware problem I was having. While adware removal programs detected what it installed it never uncovered the source of the problem.

I was using avant browser because every time I use Internet Explorer. This adware would automatically install. Just today I was complaining to my friend about my problem. He simply told me to do this. First go into Tools> Internet Options > Temp Internet - The Settings Button > Click on View Objects. I looked through the different objects and found something called "WSDownloader control". I then removed that. Then my friend sent a program called xcleaner_free. This program scans for BHO (browser help objects) It found a lot of these objects. Not all of them are bad. I had to sort through the ones I didnt want. This removed the problem!

top topics

join