It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WTF is going on? Why do the Marines keep calling me?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
You people have it all wrong. Like scumbag telemarketers there's only one answer here: airhorn!

Nothing like a good dose of aural pain to shut the idiot up on the other side. Trust me they will NOT call back. When you start seeing lots of people with bandaged ears then it might be time to let up.

I'm kinda surprised the militarys at the college/university level, I would think lower grade schools would be a better pool of possibilities given that most are just learning how to read.

brill

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 01:13 AM
link   
tell them you have mental problems

Im not even lying to you when I say I got medically disqualified from the ROTC scholarship because, this is what is seriously said: "have taken anti-depressants at one point in lifetime" so apparently because I have had a down spell and took some drugs prescribed to me to help me out Im all of a sudden DQ'd from military service.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 02:19 AM
link   
For the love of all that is holy people...

Don't lie to them, there's no need. Just tell them again that you aren't interested and ask for them to put you on their don't call list. You may have to say it a few times, but they will stop eventually. Is it even the same recruiter?

My husband is a recruiter for the National Guard and trust me, they don't want to waste their time on someone who isn't interested and has no intentions of joining. They are salesmen. Their job is to sell the military life to you. They have some really great tuition stuff, and bonuses just for joining, but if you aren't into it just tell them that.

They are required to call a certain number of people every day by the higher ups, that is why they are calling you. I had one call my cell phone one day, I have no clue how he got the number because I'd only had it a few months. But I made it perfectly clear that I wasn't interested, and he hasn't called back. If you lead them to believe that you are even the slightest bit interested they will continue to call because they are required to enlist a certain number of people a month.

The number of people my husband is supposed to enlist each month hasn't changed in two years, so there's no conspiracy to enlist more people for a war with Iran, the current one in Iraq, or any other war for that matter. These guys are just doing their job. Just be perfectly honest and clearly state you are not interested in the least bit. That's all it takes.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
But if you DO want to lie, just tell them you took Ritalin!

www.freenewmexican.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Yeah, those guys never stop. They do their job well because sitting behind a desk and harassing kids is better that getting their face blown off in a war.

Peace

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Yeah, those guys never stop. They do their job well because sitting behind a desk and harassing kids is better that getting their face blown off in a war.

Peace

That comment is very unfair. Almost everyone who is currently working as a recruiter that I personally know (and I know quite a few) has already been overseas at least once, multiple times in most cases, and the ones who haven't want to go. At least two of the recruiters I know are actively searching for ways to get out of being a recruiter and units to transfer to so they can go when the units in my area get called up this year.

To even suggest that they'd rather sit behind a desk and do nothing shows how little you know about what recruiters do and what they want. My recommendation is to get to know one outside the office before you make generalizations that are completely unfounded. They don't want to be sitting behind a desk and they definitely don't like calling people out of the blue. They don't like cold calling and avoid it when they can.

If they call you more than once then you didn't say "I'm not interested." you said "Oh, man.. I don't know..." and that tells them that you are thinking about it. And if they call you at all, you either took a test at school to see what jobs you'd be good at, or you checked the little box when filling out something that said you were interested in all forms of financial aid.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
They were looking for a "Few Good Men", and your name came up.

The recruiters get bonuses for signups. They need alot of fresh blood for the current war, and ones they have planned, and once you join they can always recall you should they feel like it.

If you are going to join the military the only place is the marines anyway.

Airforce-Officers-treated like gods/ People who work for a living- treated like crap but with the best facilities in the military

Navy- Same officer vs. NonComs feeling. But at least on a boat you don't have to worry about erupting into a firefight. But there is the whole sinking in inclosed metal

Army-
I have a couple of relative who were drafted into. They have about a 2 day training before they throw you into a firefight on the roadside

Marines- Will train you how to stay alive on any place on the planet. Will train you how to kill anything on the planet. Will train you on how to nail any thing on the planet. You may die but at least you will be remembered as a good Marine, who can ask for more

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
The recruiters get bonuses for signups. They need alot of fresh blood for the current war, and ones they have planned, and once you join they can always recall you should they feel like it.

Untrue. Recruiters don't get bonuses, the new recruits get bonuses in certain jobs and certain units.

Army-
I have a couple of relative who were drafted into. They have about a 2 day training before they throw you into a firefight on the roadside

Untrue. Basic training last for 2 months, then AT can last anywhere from 6 weeks to 18 months depending on what job you have. As for your relatives, if they were actually drafted then that was an awfully long time ago to say that that is how things are still done now. If they joined since the draft took place, then they were not "drafted" they joined, and know that training lasts more than two days.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
It's not strange, in the sense that Bush needs 21,000 troops, and colleges are a good way to provide that.

Tell them to quit calling you.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Airforce-Officers-treated like gods/ People who work for a living- treated like crap but with the best facilities in the military

You're an idiot, the enlisted men in the Air Force are treated far better than any other branch. Stop making generalizations, without the Navy we'd all be speaking German and/or Japanese right now.

Army-I have a couple of relative who were drafted into. They have about a 2 day training before they throw you into a firefight on the roadside

More stupidity and ignorance. Basic training is, I think, eight weeks, and advanced training after that can take several months.

[edit on 1-3-2007 by Johnmike]

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
OK, let me start out by saying I am a college student, and for some reason these past couple of weeks, the Marines have been calling me like madmen.

I have already spoke to them like 2 times and told them I'm in college and not interested, but they still keep bugging me.

Lo and behold, today I found out from some friends that the Marines have been calling them too, bugging them just like me.

WTF is going on? they never used to bug like this before, especially when they know you're in college.

I think something strange is going on and the U.S. is trying to recruit as much soldiers as they can, maybe before a possible attack on Iran. What else could be the reason? This seems more likely after reading today's news. SOURCE

And now with the British pulling out of Iraq, the U.S. soldiers are gonna be hurting.

Could this be the reason why the Marines are bugging me and my friends?

[edit on 22-2-2007 by thehumbleone]

idiot american government.....sounds like ur retarded government.....freakin start a war by military buildup...you guys havent had a sensible adminastration since that uhh....WW1 prez dude.....

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I do believe that last post was a very unnecessary one as it failed to accomplish the following:

1)Promote a healthy and safe environment for intelligent discussion
2)Prove any point put forth

As in WWI you mean President Woodrow Wilson and his 14 points? Technically, the entire history of the US government has been filled with lies and deceit, but it was all for the betterment of the people and the country. I challenge anyone person on this planet to put forth the ideal government or a Utopian society that has succeeded.

I do believe there is no such thing as a Utopia, but we can come damn close can't we? Perhaps as of this moment in time the United States is not as close to that Utopia as some would like it to be, but people are being naive if they think it was once a perfect society and now went down the drain because of one single man or administration. This is beaurocracy, which means everything went wrong in order for us to get here. There's a lot of people to blame.

Are you still getting phone calls from the Marine recruiters and what have you done to have those phone calls stop?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies

Are you still getting phone calls from the Marine recruiters and what have you done to have those phone calls stop?

Shattered OUT...

Hello shatteredskies, it has been about 2 weeks since a marine recruiter has called me.

Hopefully it stays that way.

Peace

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join