page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Iranian Official Claims they Desire the US for an Ally

Source Link: www.cnn.com

By Christiane Amanpour
CNN

Editor's note: In our Behind the Scenes series, CNN correspondents share their experiences in covering news and analyze the stories behind the events. CNN chief international correspondent Christiane Amanpour recently traveled in Iran, and here she recaps a conversation with a top government official.

TEHRAN, Iran (CNN) -- As I sat down recently with a senior Iranian government official, he urgently waved a column by Thomas Friedman of The New York Times in my face, one about how the United States and Iran need to engage each other.

''Natural allies,'' this official said.

It was a surprising choice of words considering the barbs Washington and Tehran have been trading of late.

"We are not after conflict. We are not after crisis. We are not after war," said this official, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "But we don't know whether the same is true in the U.S. or not. If the same is true on the U.S. side, the first step must be to end this vicious cycle that can lead to dangerous action -- war."

He confided that what he was telling me was not shared by all in the Iranian government, but it was endorsed so high up in the religious leadership that he felt confident spelling out the rationale.

"This view is not off the streets. It's not the reformist view and it's not even the view of the whole government," he replied.

But he insisted he was describing the thinking at the highest levels of the religious leadership -- the center of decision-making power in Iran.

I asked whether he meant Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei himself.

"Yes," he said.

Indeed, this senior government official told me the first step between Iran and the United States must be for each side to accept that the other is secure, and to say so.

"We are natural allies. Why?" he said. "Because now the major threat for both Iran and the U.S.A. is al Qaeda."

He said al Qaeda had attacked the "symbol of our faith" when it struck the Golden Dome mosque -- the Al-Askariya Mosque -- in the Iraqi city of Samarra last February, setting off much of the sectarian violence that has plagued the war-torn nation over the last year. Similarly, he said, al Qaeda struck the "symbols of American power" on 9/11.

"Why is the U.S. forcing us to enter a struggle with them that is only in al Qaeda's interest?" he said.

I pressed him about Iran's sudden interest in extending an olive branch. "Why now? What's motivating you?" I asked.

"Peace for the Iranian people," he said. "But not only peace, peace with security. Peace based on mutual respect, mutual benefit and mutual security."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

Well this is interesting. When you look at the bush administration's rhetoric about Iran, they make it sound like Iran & the Shiite's are the source of the majority of the violence against US forces there but, when it is looked at the exact opposite is true; it is the Sunni and their backers including probably Saudi Arabia are the source of most of the violence. That is not to say that the Sada army, a Shiite force with links to Iran are not responsible for violence against the US occupation forces, they are but are nothing compared to the Sunni insurgency. Why is this unnamed official urging cooperation now? The drumbeats of another war is one but, if the reports are accurate, they approached the US with offers of cooperation prior to the 2003 invasion and were snubbed.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have known many Iranians and to a person they love Americans, but like so much of the rest of the world, it is our government that they are fearful of.

www.truthout.org

[edit on 22-2-2007 by grover]

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I think the U.S. and Iran actually should have a lot of interests in common. However, until Iran stops its illegal nuclear program and, more importantly, stop funding terrorism and become a partner for ME peace, the U.S. can't deal with them.

PS: How did you get such a big quote into a news submission?

[edit on 2/22/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I don't know...blew them kisses maybe.
Perhaps because its important.

[edit on 22-2-2007 by grover]

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
What, exactly, is illegal about the Iranian nuclear programme? They are adhering to the NPT. The US accuses them of building a bomb, but naff all evidence has presented itself.

In fact, didn't recently the IAEA say US "evidence" is seriously suspect?

And again, you accuse them of funding terrorist's, but exactly who are they funding? Hezbollah? Not exactly a terrorist organisation (and most of the world agree's), but rather a Guerilla army. Big difference. Hasn't the US funded and supported many freedom fighter's and Geurilla's in recent years? I think so...

Time to get some perspective, I think, and not view everything in black and white.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
If you go to such international news and opinion clearinghouses such as www.watchingamerica.com one thing sticks out and that is the Israeli news and op-ed pieces pushing hard for the US to attack Iran, calling it inevitable and the like. Considering the bush administration has totally tuned out the Arab voice since it came to power (with of course the exception of our Iraqi puppet) the only voice we hear in the mid East is Israel's. Take that and the fact that we have a totally ineffectual Sec. of State who is still looking at the world through cold war eyes, then add an idiot of a president and a belligerent vice president and you have the possiblity of an A#1 disaster in the works.

And why should Israel push for this? Hey they have nothing to lose and much to gain if they can convince us to do their dirty work for them. And bush minor is enough of a fool to go along with it as well.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The road to peace in Iraq goes through Teheran, the Baker commission stated. That's why George double trouble don't listen, because he's not only in the pockets of big oil. He is in the pockets of Zionism.

If he can't resist invading, it's another ME country he has to deal with. A non-Muslim country.

But it'll take alotta of taboo breaking down before we can get there.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon
The road to peace in Iraq goes through Teheran, the Baker commission stated. That's why George double trouble don't listen, because he's not only in the pockets of big oil. He is in the pockets of Zionism.

If he can't resist invading, it's another ME country he has to deal with. A non-Muslim country.

But it'll take alotta of taboo breaking down before we can get there.

????? A Non-Muslim Country????? Iran is Shiia Islam.... the minority Muslim sect in most Islamic countries EXCEPT Iraq and Iran (One of only three non-Arab state in the region besides Israel and Turkey) but if I am reading you correctly you are suggesting he invade Israel??? Explain yourself more clearly please.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
but if I am reading you correctly you are suggesting he invade Israel??? Explain yourself more clearly please.

That's what I read it as.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
With the risk of (wrongfully) being labeled "anti-Semitic",
-- Yes, that's what I'm talking about ...merely utopia, I know.

Dealing with the cause instead of the symptoms is the only way to get out of 60 years of ME quagmire.

The creation of the state of Israel was an attempt by European powers to redeem themselves from 400 years persecution with the culmination of the Holocaust.

Now it comes back to haunt us, because the victim becomes like the perpetrator after all those centuries of persecution.

The cause of all our ME troubles is NOT Muslim.

Just remember the progroms didn't start before Christian powers had conquered the Cordoba caliphat.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Unfortuantlely that is not correct...there are plenty of recorded pograms in Europe before the fall of moorish Spain. If you mean in the Islamic world...as far as i know Arab/Jewish problems didn't start until the zionist movement started "settling" Palestine.

There will be no Israel by the end of this century. The Jews are rapidly becoming a minority in their own land as the Arabs are out breeding them 2 to 1 and sooner or later, it will merge with the west bank and become what it should have been all along... a joint Jewish/Arab state.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   
This is an off-topic question:

grover, how did you manage to enter this as Breaking News? It doesn't follow the new format.

Just curious..

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Well, there's an edit function, js, it becomes handy when you cannot sqeese a meaningfull snippet into 500 char ...or want to add comments in the opening post ...I don't know what the mods say though. I picked up the habit myself for my last submission as I saw how groover did. Bad habit? Dunno. Heard nothing from any mod.

Back to topic to reply to groovers response to my last post.

I know progroms has been going since the crusades in Europe. Sorry for not making it clear in my answer, but as you yourself conclude

If you mean in the Islamic world...as far as i know Arab/Jewish problems didn't start until the zionist movement started "settling" Palestine.

Exactly what I mean. The caliphat of the Moores was reknown for given not only religious freedom, but freedom to trade to the Jews, as the Osmans sultan did in Byzans.

Sadly enough the persecution of Jews is historically a pure European thing, which the Arabs picked up due to the repression the zionist settlement in Palestine caused.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I think the U.S. and Iran actually should have a lot of interests in common. However, until Iran stops its illegal nuclear program and, more importantly, stop funding terrorism and become a partner for ME peace, the U.S. can't deal with them.

Nuclear Energy is afforded to Iran in the NPT. But its not so clear that that is their intention judging by their actions in dealing with the IAEA. Throwing out 38 inspectors and inveiling a plan for 58k centrifuges for enrichment doesnt point toward a peaceful program. I'm all for Iranians having nuclear energy, its a clean source that the whole world should be after.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Well that's the problem with conflicts in general... when you accuse others of your own delusional theories, there's no place for reconciliation.

How the hell can Iran answer to these accusations if they have no illegal nuclear program and are not funding terrorism? it,s more like the time for the US to abandon its illusions and recognize that other non-aligned countries have the same right to nuclear energy than the US and its allies.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
EXACTLY... The same is true when Saddam sent all the documentation the US demanded to account for his WMD program... we barely looked at it and called it bogus...Then when he did let the inspectors back in bush minor just couldn't stand it that they were holding up his splendid little war and dismissed them every chance he could.

And people don't know who the real warmongers are?

new topics
top topics

join