It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian defence minister compare Iraq to the Kokoda Track

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Australian defence minister compare Iraq to the Kokoda Track

Source Link: www.news.com.au

DEFENCE Minister Brendan Nelson has declared Australia's involvement in Iraq is as important as the Kokoda Track campaign that turned back invading Japanese forces in World War II.

Dr Nelson has also conceded there will be no swift victory in Iraq and that the strife-torn nation will never adopt a Western-style democracy.

In a highly charged speech delivered at a defence conference, the minister also warned yesterday of a looming "do or die" offensive in Afghanistan by the Islamic Taliban militia that would put Australia's 550 troops in Oruzgan province in greater peril.

And he savaged Opposition Leader Kevin Rudd as not understanding the gravity of Australia's Iraqi involvement.

"Today we face something which is no less a risk to our culture, our values, our freedoms, our way of life than was presented to us in 1942," Dr Nelson said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I hope that I haven't put to much of the article into the submission.

For every correct thing that Nelson has said he has said something that is so off base I wonder what he is on.
How can any reasonable person compare Iraq to the Kokoda Track ?
Remember that these are the people that go nuts when Iraq is compared to Vietnam.

Nelson is right about the battle values which with the expectation of Northern Iraq has been lost. So now that a member of the coalition is finally willing to admit that Iraq will never be a Western-style democracy I have a question.

Why in the world is the coalition still trying to hold Iraq together ?
As Rommel said. "Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."

The only sane option is to partition Iraq along tribal lines .
Why should the Kurds lose all the progress and be ruled by Islamic nut jobs because of the coalitions failings ?

new topics

join