It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skynet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I searched for this and did not turn up anything, if I missed it feel free to delete.

I just read on the European Space Agency that the UK is set on March 9th to launch a secret military/government telecommunications satellite. Dubbed Skynet 5A. Terminator series.....Communications.....Skynet. Now of course I am not expecting the first strike when SkyNet becomes self aware on March 10, 2007 at 17:43 GMT. (Imagine in an Arnold voice.)

I know the U.S. has a similar system, but the name definitely peeked my interest.

1. The contract, signed at the end of December 2004, also includes an option for an additional launch, according to EADS Astrium. Europe's Ariane launcher has already orbited the Skynet 4B, 4C, 4E and 4F satellites for the British Ministry of Defense.

2. After the launch of Skynet 5A and 5B, EADS Astrium will deliver the satellites in orbit to the commercial organization Paradigm Secure Communications. Paradigm is contracted to provide secure communications services for the British armed forces, NATO and a number of other countries.

3. Paradigm Secure Communications, part of EADS Space Services, signed a £2.5 billion contract with the MOD UK in October 2003 for the provision of military satellite communications services up to 2018. The program, procured as a Private Finance Initiative, includes the funding for the next generation of UK Milsatcom capability.

Link

Just thought some of you Brit's and paranoia prone people might be interested in this.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Well I'm not sure that the name has any significance... these satellites (there have been a series of them) have been named 'Skynet' since the late 1960s/early 1970s (Way before Arnie said "I'll be back"
) so basically the makers of the Terminator series stole the name from the Ministry of Defence.

However, I hadn't heard about this. Very interesting, thanks for posting.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Check out the folowing movie -

informationclearinghouse.info...

titled - "They want your soul"

Towards the end, there is the only reference I have found to date regarding a US Government, Internet 2 and NASA and NSA's AI supercomputer going online in 2010 to gather, store and process all info on each and every being.

Interesting yet scary, will post more as I come across it. Very interesting thrad topic, I hope more people have something to contribute

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ste2652
Well I'm not sure that the name has any significance... these satellites (there have been a series of them) have been named 'Skynet' since the late 1960s/early 1970s (Way before Arnie said "I'll be back"
) so basically the makers of the Terminator series stole the name from the Ministry of Defence.

However, I hadn't heard about this. Very interesting, thanks for posting.

Oh I did not realize the UK's military satellite system has been named that since the 60's. My apologies (just an ignorant American over here). Arnie, stealing something; that I can not accept! Shame on you Ste!

(Anyone else think he would be a very entertaining American President? I might live here but I'd just love to see what would transpire over those 4 years.)

[edit on 24-2-2007 by Baphomet79]

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Interesting thread even though it predates the Terminator movie. This also made me think of the "They want your soul" video and the reference to the AI supercomputer storing and processing information on everyone.
It would be something crazy if all hell did break loose.

And, as entertaining as it sounds, (I could see the SNL and DailyShow having a field day) Arnold will never be Prez simply because he wasn't born here.

I'd like to see some more info about Internet2 and the AI..

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Is not skynet from the terminator? Did you know that OJ Simpson was going to be the original terminator but he wasn't scary enough.
I beg to differ.
Any African guy around a white girl is dangerous! OOps did I say that?

I'm just joking! Don't freak out & ban me! I'm a brown guy myself on way to much sauce!

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Hi,

Thanks for the post Baphomet!

Skynet 5 and paradigm have several facilities across the UK, with operations being based in Corsham, Wilts.

Now here is something interesting. The Skynet facility in Corsham is an underground secure complex built in extreme proximity to the former 'Burlington' nuclear bunker. The bunker is simply massive and many details can be found with a simple search on ATS or Google. Burlington has now been declassified, but the Corsham area still contains many secrets.

Located very near to this bunker is another underground complex called the Corsham Computer Center. I have details on CCC but I'm waiting for feedback from forum staff before posting this. Needless to say the CCC is a focal point of many conspiracy theorists!
The DCSA are also based in Corsham.
The whole area is riddled with underground workings, some going back hundreds of years, some so large that during WWII they were used as underground aircraft factories!!! (Burlington)

Corsham is definately our version of Dulce, Groom or Mount Weather in terms of secret facilities!

Fortunately Skynet 5 has nothing in Common with Terminator!

Cheers

Rob

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I read this thread and started thinking about what we know and don't know about technology. Do we know enough about machines and energy to trust them. I mean we're energy. Do we know the pros and cons of leaving it all up to a super computer to protect us. It's a scary thought to me. I think we humans are babies compared to the technology of the future. We always think we know it all. We once thought the world was flat and the sun orbited around the earth. We thought the titanic was an unsinkable ship. I mean history has shown that we have learned from our mistakes and corrected some of them. I wonder if there's more power in these computers than we ever imagined. Maybe the aliens are waiting for the right time to zap our computers with some kind of self awareness energy so that we will destroy ourselves and the aliens take over the earth. In the end you see two aliens talking when one of them says " silly humans they thought they new it all." Remind you all, I'm just thinking.

[edit on 3/5/2007 by Solarskye]

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I think this thread is looking like it's going to go off topic! The OP was talking about the Skynet communications system in operation in the UK. Nothing to do with the skynet of Terminator fame.
I don't get your comment

Do we know enough about machines and energy to trust them. I mean we're energy.

What do you mean, we are energy?

For questions about AI you should probably direct them to the
Science and Technology Forum

Questions about Skynet please carry on!

Cheers

Rob

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Maybe an AI named skynet run by idiots who run the world will still destory the world as the story goes.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Yahoo stock board for satellite manufacturer.

I spent a few hours reading about satellite systems, however the
original for this one in now LOR as some how it was reissued stock
after bankruptcy.

Reading those boards was the only time I heard the name Skynet.

Sorry do not know more than that, there was great banter at one time
and some technical experts happening by at times.

Most if the posters are moved on to other pickings.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by stratsys-sws

Skynet 5 and paradigm have several facilities across the UK, with operations being based in Corsham, Wilts.

Now here is something interesting. The Skynet facility in Corsham is an underground secure complex built in extreme proximity to the former 'Burlington' nuclear bunker. The bunker is simply massive and many details can be found with a simple search on ATS or Google. Burlington has now been declassified, but the Corsham area still contains many secrets.

Located very near to this bunker is another underground complex called the Corsham Computer Center. I have details on CCC but I'm waiting for feedback from forum staff before posting this. Needless to say the CCC is a focal point of many conspiracy theorists!
The DCSA are also based in Corsham.
The whole area is riddled with underground workings, some going back hundreds of years, some so large that during WWII they were used as underground aircraft factories!!! (Burlington)

Corsham is definately our version of Dulce, Groom or Mount Weather in terms of secret facilities!

Surprisingly, you can download a pdf which contains details of the UK Global Operations and Security Control Centre (GOSCC) facility at Corsham. The pdf was produced by the comms company Christie Digital.

Corsham pdf

Alternatively, you can go to their relevant webpage www.christiedigital.co.uk...

zero lift

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Nice links Zero lift.

The rumours in the job are that the DCSA wanted and expected something more in keeping with movie style command and control rooms! That's certainly what they got :-)

If anyone is interested in having a look why not check out these links to some aerial shots of the corsham area.

Skynet Bunker

Skynet Drive and Offices

Notice in
this link you can see the skynet bunker top left, then also the above ground portion of the Burlington bunker and various vents, inlets, lift shafts etc.

Slightly to the east you will find the Corsham Computer Center Still an active MOD site tasked with support of the UK nuclear strategic weapons system.

Have a browse around the Corsham area, I'm sure you'll find some very interesting facilities!

Cheers

Rob

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Nice one Rob.

Slightly to the east you will find the Corsham Computer Center Still an active MOD site tasked with support of the UK nuclear strategic weapons system.

If you happen to notice that the nearby car park (the one with three cars in it) ever fills right up - head for the hills.

Its a bit of a giveway having a car park so close to the facility, especially as one of its predecessors main functions was that it was to be covertly brought into operation, up to 30 days prior to any official Transition To War.

Bit of a giveaway if the bl**dy car park suddenly fills with coaches

zero lift

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Imagine what it would have been like at time a crisis when Burlington was active as well. Over 1000 people suddenly arriving by train plane and automobile to staff the Burlington (site 3) bunker, extra staff being called in to man the CCC, Skynet and PNCC bunkers and other areas of Tunnel quarry.

I think you are right, the people of Corsham would have been the first to start taping up their windows! :-) And probably some of the first to get vapourised :-(

Cheers

Rob

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Just out of interest, the BBC posted up a story about the new Skynet system on their website, detailing the system's purpose, cost and some technical specs - the story can be found here.

top topics

join