It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Colossal squid caught"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by The time lord
It's not that big really and it's very jelly like anyway. The mouth won't eat you and I bet a shark could eat it. It's long but it's floppy what is the point.
It's still no monster once one is found to be like 100 foot I might get serious.

I assume your either joking or know very little about these beast's. It would rip either you or a shark apart if it was that way inclined and would do it easily.

Far smaller squid, humboldts, beat the hell out of divers, the drag divers down into the deep to drown them. They have beaks, They are intelligent and they hunt in packs and use diversion, the squid in front of you backs away from you while another hits you from behind. Humboldt squid will drag dogs in from the shoreline and eat them. FYI

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 07:10 AM
link   

It's not that big really and it's very jelly like anyway. The mouth won't eat you and I bet a shark could eat it. It's long but it's floppy what is the point.

ummm.... What?

Floppy? Jelly? You seriously need to do some research. Octopi and squids aren't jellyfish. If aything you should compare them to one big muscle. They are strong, fast and very dangerous. And in addition to their immense physical strength, they are also one of the smartest underwater creatures too. Their brains are hugely developed, and when controlling eight or ten appendages what can you expect?

Let me give you an idea of their power...

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   
there was an article in the NY Times several years ago about a guy with two fish tanks on opposite ends of the same room. One tank was fresh water, containing cichlids (ok, brakish water) and the other was a salt water tank with an octopus. The guy was losing one fish in the cichlid tank every few days. He couldn't figure it out so he set up a video camera to monitor the tank while he slept. What he found was that the octopus was exiting its tank, walking across the room, snagging a fish and heading back to its home tank.

Now, anyone who tries to house an octopus knows the first rule of keeping them is seal that tank in every way as they can slip thru the tiniest of openings and will, invariably, be found dried up on the floor. This octopus found a flaw in the guy's system and exploited it most incredibly.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Jack of Blades and Crakeur,

Great additions and stories to the thread, the video is outstanding.
I have read countless accounts of octopi figuring out how to get into corked bottles and the like as well. I have also heard that for the timeframe that it lives, the octopus is among the smartest creatures on the earth, it only lives for a short time compared to other intelligent creatures is all.

Peace, great posts.........Mondo

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mondogiwa
Jack of Blades and Crakeur,

Great additions and stories to the thread, the video is outstanding.
I have read countless accounts of octopi figuring out how to get into corked bottles and the like as well. I have also heard that for the timeframe that it lives, the octopus is among the smartest creatures on the earth, it only lives for a short time compared to other intelligent creatures is all.

Peace, great posts.........Mondo

I know the ones found in people's reef tanks live about a year. I wouldn't spend the money (they're not cheap) on something that only lives a year but then again, I spend tons more on things that should live for many years and then die in a week so maybe I shouldn't be so selective.

I find octopus and squid to be the most amazing creatures. This past December I was in Jamaica and there was a reef (of sorts) behind the house we stayed at and I spent a solid hour and a half watching and playing with a large squid/cuttlefish. It was about a foot and a half long and it was just hovering there, changing colors with the surroundings as I swam at it. It never fled, simply moved a few feet away and for the life of my I couldn't get it to ink me.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
It's not the squid, it IS us. Commercial fishing boats cast nets on the ocean's floor to catch fish, but it also destroys the top layer of the ocean's floor. This method destroys plant life for fish and it also greatly disrupts the ocean, destroying all life on the ocean's floor. I'm probably not explaining it very well, but it's one of the worst things you can do to the ocean and all life that lives in the ocean. I'm sure that's what is driving these creatures into more shallow waters. They can get up to 100 feet long, are one of the most intelligent life forms, have huge beaks that are very powerful and can rip things apart quite well. When a squid like this comes up against a whale, usually the squid wins and you can see suction cup marks on some whales who managed to get away. Their tentacles are very powerful.
They are fascinating creatures and we are only now beginning to find out about them. Up until now, not much was known about these giant squid types.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
The Krakken lives........

That 39ft 990lb squid would tear open a 750lb bull shark and a 1000lb great white.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by greatpiino

Anyway time for me to log off. But was wondering if octopussies get that big or bigger like the myths of old. Which one would win in a battle I WONDER. But even so they are nice in water but quite ugly things close up, very alien like with big heads, maybe aliens evolved from squids after man dies off on earth so we get time travelling aliens comming back.

I just got back from the bar, and reading that completely blew my mind
That squid is totally rad though, and even totally radder that it's alive. I hope it stays alive forever and becomes a celebrity so it can give interviews.

I did not even have drink.
I like my imagination at 4am it's quite a breakthrough and even now its 4:40am UK time.

Yo! people calm down, don't take it so seriously, it was late and could not be bothered to access my logics that time. Read the quotes I even amuse my self. But the shark was killed by an octopus in this youtube link. But what do Squids do and eat they are a bit of a different species? Yes they are powerful if in scale but if attacked first I am not sure it's wiggly muscle stands a chance in a first time bite but it has another 7 legs left if one fails.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
It would depend on the size of the squid. They range from the Colossal Squid to some that are as big as your hand, and obviously that one couldn't eat a shark. But one that was big enough could easily hold a shark and eat it.

I don't think you actually understand how strong their arms can be.... and squid are worse than octopi because their suckers (about a hundred on each tentacle) has a very long, sharp barb in it.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackofBlades

ummm.... What?

Floppy? Jelly? You seriously need to do some research. Octopi and squids aren't jellyfish. If aything you should compare them to one big muscle. They are strong, fast and very dangerous. And in addition to their immense physical strength, they are also one of the smartest underwater creatures too. Their brains are hugely developed, and when controlling eight or ten appendages what can you expect?

Let me give you an idea of their power...

And a squid's cups have TEETH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here is the business end of the "tentacle club"

the entire length of all of the arms, tentacles, and tentacle clubs are all lined with either saw tooth or swiveling hooks

I don't want to even imagine the beak on that thing !!!!!

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valorian
Can you imagine the calamari you could get from that thing....yum yum

Actually, Colossal Squid and Giant Squid don't taste at all good. Their flesh has large amounts of ammonia in it, making it taste bitter. The ammonia, if I remember correctly, keeps the squid relatively buoyant. That makes it easier for the squid to travel and/or move at all.

I'm somewhat of a Giant Squid enthusiast/expert, ever since I did a report on them in the third grade. 'Course, back then Colossal Squids hadn't been found out yet, but I've kept up on the news.

Yes, a Colossal Squid could rip a human being and a Great White to shreds, if it ever felt so inclined. They aren't creatures to be trifled with lightly.

[edit on 25-2-2007 by Voidmaster]

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voidmaster

Yes, a Colossal Squid could rip a human being and a Great White to shreds, if it ever felt so inclined. They aren't creatures to be trifled with lightly.

[edit on 25-2-2007 by Voidmaster]

I disagree. I think you would be so much less than shreds. More like scraps, scraps of meat that would be pulled up towards their huge beak and fed into their gaping maw...

NICE!

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I've heard that suction marks the size if dinner plates have been noted on some whales. Imagine the size some of these squid must grow!!
That would be just like the legendary 'Kraken'.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeros
I've heard that suction marks the size if dinner plates have been noted on some whales. Imagine the size some of these squid must grow!!

Yes, that is indeed true. Such large suction cup scars are indicative of the squids that made them being 200 feet or longer.

Of course, a lot of these scars were probably made early on in the whale's life, and as the whale grew, the scar stretched. However, you can't discount all of them that way.

This is one of the reasons I never learned how to swim. I don't like deep water, and if I don't know how to swim, I can't be allowed to go there.

I had too many water-based nightmares when I was a child. It was either drowning, or being eaten by something; neither of which have a good effect on someone 2-3 years old.

But enough about myself, these squids are fascinating creatures, and I would love to be able to study them in person.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xeros

The suction cups marks on whales is almost always sperm whales. Sperm whales eat giant squid so I would imagine they would eat colossal squid to. I don't think squids stand much of a chance against sperm whales. They have very tough skin. The marks are from the squid trying to save itself. Just the same as marks around the white shark mouth from seals.

This is one way scientist use to try and find large squids. When sperm whales dive deep they are usually hunting large squids. By finding the whales you can find the squid.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Just in case any one here gets attacked buy this monster here’s what you do!

(Video) How to Wrestle An Octopus

AlBeMeT

[edit on 6-3-2007 by AlBeMet]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
The link does not work anymore. Does soemone have it cached somewhere?

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by scoobdude
The link does not work anymore. Does soemone have it cached somewhere?

Here you go scoobdude 990 pound squid

AlBeMeT

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Information on the extraterrestrials who colonize us.
Those who incorporate us.
An extraterrestrial race has embodied us for several millennia to colonize Earth.

Our planet has been invaded by what is probably an octopoidal race.

They arrived here at least 10 000 years ago.

Religions were organized by them. Earthlings were kept unaware of the real goals for the invasive race: the colonization of this planet.

Historically, this race has always controlled the security services of powerful countries. It has done so for the empires of Persia, Egypt, Greece, Rome, Medieval Europe, 18th century France, 20th century Russia, Germany and the United States.

Current nations with power found a way to resist them, and are trying to chase them.

This race uses other dimensions to enter our world. They use positronic (anti-electromagnetic) frequencies to influence our behavior. Concepts like mind-control, scare-mongering, bluff, and provoking agents were used by them from the beginning. They don't like to take lives, unless they can manipulate others in doing so.
Incorporation is their fundamental tactic. With this they can influence our thoughts and behavior. Their embodiment is also dimensional.

They made their occupation disbelievable through propaganda outlets such as Barbapapa, Pac Man, Galaxy Quest, The Matrix, Half Life 2.

The result of their presence was the infliction of unimaginable harm on Earthlings, especially under the religion of Satanism (popularly called Masonry). For the planet, ultimately, it meant a high output of atmospheric carbon dioxide and resulting climatic change.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join