It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia may increase its military contribution to the war in Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Australia may increase its military contribution to the war in Afghanistan

Source Link: www.news.com.au

The result could be the deployment of up to 450 extra personnel and new capabilities, possibly including Black Hawk helicopters and an air defence radar team.

The Defence Minister Brendan Nelson has today refused to confirm the report, but admitted that a small scoping group would be sent to Afghanistan to determine if a larger commitment is needed to curtail a resurgent Taliban.

"I won't speak in any details about reports I've seen in the newspapers today," Dr Nelson said on Channel 7 this mo
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.smh.com.au

[edit on 21-2-2007 by xpert11]

[edit on 21-2-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I can only see this as a good move after all NATO has been calling for extra troops for a while now. In terms of the overall picture nothing will change until the coalition goes on the offensive in the tribal regions of Pakistan and prevents the enemy from regrouping and retraining in winter.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Probably has more to do with John Howard dissing the Democrat presidential hopeful and then being called on to commit more troops instead of sticking his nose in where it doesnt belong. Not an australian govt decision i bet.
Its allright johnny, not your kids your sending off to die,

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Well, what do you know, just in time for the opium harvest. Last time around, I guess they got there a little too late. I used to think the harvest was in the fall, but I recently learned they harvest in the spring and transport through the fall.

Australian Government to Consider Afghanistan Troop Deployment.

The West's involvement in Afghanistan is all about oil pipelines and opium production, imo.

Does anybody still believe it is about liberating people from oppression and spreading democracy?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
People only started to claim that the war in Afghanistan wasn't about spreading democracy when the US and its allies failed to capture Bin Laden and defeat the enemy in the region. Afghanistan despite its premises is proving to be another half hearted limited war.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Thank you Australia! Always nice to know we're not completely alone.

[edit on 21-2-2007 by Johnmike]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
sorry...

I would rather burn in hell than see my sons go to war for the USA's bogus WOT

[edit on 21-2-2007 by resistancia]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
The USA started this crap...let them deal with it.

They are always trumpeting off about how great they are, what fantastic stuff they have and how they can whoop everyone's butt. Well this is their chance to put their money where their mouth is....ALONE.

And as for Dick Cheney...I would like to see him cop a face load of rotten vegetables this afternoon. He has a huge hide even coming here with his armed henchmen. See how everyone accomodates American politicians ?

makes me wanna PUKE

[edit on 21-2-2007 by resistancia]

top topics

join