It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terriost Groups using UAV's to deliver weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Here is a collection of UAV's that are supposedly being used by Hezbollah (according to them) to fly over Israel. Supposedly capable of carrying explosives - passably other weapons.

One was reported back in Nov 2004 Here so this is old news really, but It bothers me that the likes of AQ or others may be able use similar UAV's in attacks in the UK / US.
I imagine smaller ones could easily be assembled and launched from skyscraper roofs / fields or barges on a river for instance. And would also be suited to the simultaneous attacks they favour – any comments?

They are said to be capable of carrying 40-50 kg of explosives, or to be used as recon, as such would be attractive to terrorists as a way to deploy chemical or biological weapons, or as an alternative to suicide attacks. They could gain access to places prev out of reach.

According to Israeli sources, "Mirsad 1" is an Iranian "Mheger 4" drone,2 powered by a 10 hp engine and capable to fly at 2 km altitude with a maximum speed of 120 km/hr. According to the same source, Iran supplied Hezbollah with 8 such drones, and over the past two years some 30 Lebanese operatives have undergone training at Revolutionary Guards' bases near Isfahan to fly similar aircraft. Israeli press also reported that the wingspan of "Mirsad 1" UAV is about 3 m, and its fuselage length is 2.9 m.

Any feelings on this subject? Thanks for reading.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
In addition to last post. Don't know how worried we should be!! that link provides parts for devolopment of home made UAVs - note the discount for purchasing 100 or more units! - p.s potential terriosts nothing to see here!

Another point, wouldn't a fleet of these things make a rather conveint way of smuggling drugs?! Does any one else have any more 'devient' proposals for these little robots?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
First time I've heard this, but I'm not too suprised really. Not too hard to build if you know what your done (these ones only need to fly and maybe land, they don't need to transmit lots od data like military ones), or you can just buy them.

Don't really see the point though, if terrorists can continue to detonate car bombs & use suicide bombers as weapons, their is little point in investing in UAVs, especially when these terrorists can walk across most borders.

Quick point on drug smuggling. I can't imagine they're too useful, I doubt they can carry enough to make it worthwhile, especially when you can cross borders on foot and not get caught.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I think that to your 'pro am' terrorist (for want of a better way of putting it!) this sort of thing could provide an alternative to car/truck bombs, if the target was specific and that was the best way to do it. Also if the little
wanted to send his mother a card next mothers day he wouldn't need to write it in advance.

The technology is there for basic, almost unguided crude types in hobby shops. And it really isn't a huge leap up to GPS, with the processing power from a laptop, a simple up/down link would be little more than a GSM mobile. Airframe the size of a coffee table costing something like £3k detonating a dirty bomb, Monday morning 100 foot over London’s square mile. Not a good way to start the week. Almost said that would make a good premise for a book - till I remembered all the ways the twin towers had been used in fiction!

Also, the Independent gives Heroin street value £30-£100 a gram, making a KG £30,000 - £100,000 a gram. But if that were my game, prob wouldn't trust me stash to an air cadet’s substitute for a social life!

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
Does any one else have any more 'devient' proposals for these little robots?

What about assasination? Security wouldn't be able to tell where the controller was (unlike gunshot) and nobody looks up. What if one of these was loaded with explosives and flown straight down onto a motorcade or something? Is there any defense?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
*puts on terrorist's bobble-hat*

If I were a big bad mullah i'd forget UAV's and order a bunch of microlights...excluding pilot, they can carry up to 300kg of 'cargo', can be broken-down takeoff from scrubland fields and roads, electronics can be jammed, but a determined jihadi martyr could deliver a substantial payload by air and meet his 72virgins and still take the enemy unawares

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I hope this ain't gonna turn into a how to guide!!

Micro lights! your wasted on the peaceful side - luke.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
I hope this ain't gonna turn into a how to guide!!

Micro lights! your wasted on the peaceful side - luke.

I'll be keeping my ideas under my turban for the time being...no worries there

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I could post many ideas on how to circumvent the current half-arsed carte-blanche security measures introduced, with not much cash and a little know-how, but I won't because I love my little corner of this green and pleasant land...however, should anyone wish to intrude on my little plot...they'll be sorry they did

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Dont get paranoid but this is the first page of an interesting idea.

This talks about how mutiple UAV's would track a person "under Communiciation Constraints in an Adversarial Enviroment" i.e wen u ain't supposed to!

I'm thinking pretty small robots following you!

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 03:15 AM
link   
MZ man builds a cruise missle for $5000

www.interestingprojects.com...

so if they can be built in the garden shed anyone can do it - anyway toe cia think teh next big attack will be from domestic terrorists.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Sweet, cruise missiles, UAVs and a convient way of removing annoying politicians.

(Maniacal grin!)

Where next for my robot army?

new topics

top topics

join