It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother of Three Gets 2 Years in Prision For Throwing Ice

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Mother of Three Gets 2 Years in Prision For Throwing Ice

Source Link: news.aol.com

Jessica Hall, a North Carolina mother, drove down I-95 on a hot, sticky and gridlocked day with three kids whimpering in the back of the car, a pregnant sister in the front of the car and her husband serving his third tour of duty in Iraq .

Suddenly, the same car cut in front of Hall twice, and it was more than she could take. She snapped.

She tossed a large McDonald's cup filled with ice into the other car.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
This is ridiculous.

They're going to ruin a woman's life, destroy her family, and likely create a career criminal out of her (what else is there to do in prison but learn new criminal techniques and join a gang for protection?)... all for throwing ice. No harm was done to any person, or even the vehicle.

Jeez... How close was she to getting declared a terrorist and being sent to Gitmo for questioning, I wonder.

This makes me livid.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
The woman didn't just throw ice. She threw a drink with ice in it. The other people had sticky mess all over themselves and their vehicle. She could have caused a wreck.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I agree that the sentence was too harsh, however, what is she teaching her children? It's OK to throw an object at a moving car from another moving car if you are mad at them?

Nothing happened this time, but what about next time? What about when her children are old enough to drive? Is it OK for them or anyone else to throw objects at vehicles if no one is hurt? Where is the line drawn? Is it OK to throw ice and not a rock?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
this is F**king stupid two years if this happened 50 years ago she probably would have had to stay in the county jail for what 2 days???

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Again as a European i am amazed what is possible in the US, if it wasnt so tragic for the kids i would really be laughing at this.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent samurai
this is F**king stupid two years if this happened 50 years ago she probably would have had to stay in the county jail for what 2 days???

Well, she was black, so 50 years ago they'd have probably lynched her. But, assuming 50 years ago minus our country's history of racism, they wouldn't have even put her in the county jail. It'd be one of those things where the officer made sure no one got into a fist fight and send them both home. That evening it'd be the humorous story of the evening.

As for the car that got "victimized", they should be down on their hands and knees thanking God they didn't try cutting someone off twice in Texas, because here it doesn't get you a cup of ice in the face, it gets you shot. They should be grateful all they got was an icy sticky mess, as opposed to a bloody sticky mess and severe case of lead poisoning.

[edit on 2/21/2007 by thelibra]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
As for the car that got "victimized", they should be down on their hands and knees thanking God they didn't try cutting someone off twice in Texas, because here it doesn't get you a cup of ice in the face, it gets you shot. They should be grateful all they got was an icy sticky mess, as opposed to a bloody sticky mess and severe case of lead poisoning.

[edit on 2/21/2007 by thelibra]

Are you serious? Shoot and kill someone for cutting you off in traffic? Another reason to stay out of Texas.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa
The woman didn't just throw ice. She threw a drink with ice in it. The other people had sticky mess all over themselves and their vehicle. She could have caused a wreck.

It still shouldn't be 2 years in prision. The children already don't see the father, now the mother will be away for two years. It's ice, big deal. The woman could have easily just apologized and maybe even given the other driver a few bucks to clean up the mess. No way should it be 2 years in prison.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyarlathotep
Are you serious? Shoot and kill someone for cutting you off in traffic? Another reason to stay out of Texas.

No, just think of it as a real good reason to drive friendly and not be an arse on the road. We don't take kindly to rude behavior on the road.

If you wanna know why, just read up on Texas Mentality. Shooting people who assaulted you on the road used to be a survival technique around here.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Shooting people who assaulted you on the road used to be a survival technique around here.

Somehow, I am not surprised. This is the same state that leads the Union in executions. Do you also drag black people behind trucks if they "drive like an arse on the road"?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Do you also drag black people behind trucks if they "drive like an arse on the road"?

WTF? why did you have to go there? I don't cut people off so that makes me what to drive in texas

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
As ridiculous as it is, I'm thinking its more for show rather than anything else.

"But I'm sure prosecutors want to send a message by saying acts of road rage are unacceptable," Bloom said. "They're violent, they cause injuries and it's going to stop right here with this case."

Its some places, as already mentioned, 'road rage' is a very serious problem that is not getting any better.

This could be used as an example case for future violators, and in-turn a possible deterrent.

It also stated in the article that the Judge 'can still reduce the sentence'.
I believe this is more than likely what will occur. Possibly, probation with community service.

If not, don't take your kids to McDonald's

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   

This is the same state that leads the Union in executions.

maybe I should move to texas like Ron White said "in texas if you kill someone we will kill you back"

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Somehow, I am not surprised. This is the same state that leads the Union in executions.

Meh... I still think it's justified in Texas. Maybe not elsewhere, but we breed some of the worst hardened criminals in the world, and the ones we didn't breed are usually trying to pass through in crossing international borders to escape from either U.S. or Mexican federal authorities. It's a harsh state, I'm not gonna lie.

Do you also drag black people behind trucks if they "drive like an arse on the road"?

Now that's the dumbest damn thing I've heard in a week. We may be violent, but we're not racists. What the hell are you going on about?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
This is a perfect example of what not to do. Acts of road rage are stupid. I feel its much more rewarding to stalk my victims. Revenge is so much better when the victim has no idea why "it is happening to them."

Don't get mad, Don't get even... Take revenge. It's a lot more fun. Trust me.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Somehow, I am not surprised. This is the same state that leads the Union in executions.

Meh... I still think it's justified in Texas. Maybe not elsewhere, but we breed some of the worst hardened criminals in the world, and the ones we didn't breed are usually trying to pass through in crossing international borders to escape from either U.S. or Mexican federal authorities. It's a harsh state, I'm not gonna lie.

Now that's the dumbest damn thing I've heard in a week. We may be violent, but we're not racists. What the hell are you going on about?

No, Texans aren't racist at all[/sarcasm]

www.texasnaacp.org...

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Perplexed
Don't get mad, Don't get even... Take revenge. It's a lot more fun. Trust me.

how can one not get even and take revenge at the same time I'm confused

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grailkeeper
Its some places, as already mentioned, 'road rage' is a very serious problem that is not getting any better.

This could be used as an example case for future violators, and in-turn a possible deterrent.

I have no illusions about the wrongness of what the lady did. However, the punishment was extremely out of scale from the crime. Tossing a soda at someone is NOT worth destroying a family, jailing a woman in an already overcrowded system for 2 years, and causing her to lose her kids, home, job, and life in the process.

If the crime didn't cause injury or siginificant property damage, federal prison shouldn't even be an option. A hefty fine, sure. Mandatory anger management classes, sure. Maybe even a few days in the county jail to let her cool down and let the weight of what she did sink in.

But the destruction of a woman's home, career, and family, and making her a federal felon... that's just ridiculous overkill.

So what if she "could" have caused an accident. Are we going to start making federal felons out of people who run stoplights?

There's a HUGE risk of causing a fatal accident by running stoplights. It's almost always a premeditated act, and carries an enormous risk of a side-collision, which unless you have side-airbags, is the most letal sort that cars are least protected against.

Hell, even the person that cut her off TWICE in traffic stood a good chance of causing an accident.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   

No, Texans aren't racist at all[/sarcasm]

Is it your goal to piss off every texan here or what.. I hope they just deny your ignorance

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join