It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Church: we'll make gay rights martyrs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Church: we'll make gay rights martyrs

Source Link: scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com

THE Catholic Church is to go to war over new legislation on rights for homosexuals, vowing to create "gay rights martyrs" if the laws are passed.

In a change of tactics, Church officials now say they will not close down adoption agencies as a result of new laws forcing them to deal with applications from gay couples.

Instead, they will deliberately break the law in order to bring a case to court.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I'm glad they've got the balls to stand up for their religious rights.

The fallout from this activity and the inevitable following lawsuits will most likely set precedent for a long time to come.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 04:41 AM
link   

THE Catholic Church is to go to war over new legislation on rights for homosexuals, vowing to create "gay rights martyrs" if the laws are passed.

Gay right martyrs... so do they plan to take some nutjob christian and make him kill those advocating gay rights? Kill me first. Equality for everyone, including gays, so STFU middle-age religion.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I'm glad they've got the balls to stand up for their religious rights.

How are their religious rights being effected when they're trying to take away rights of others? Adopting to gay parents has nothing to do with "religious rights." If the Church feels that they should ban gays from being parents, then what is to stop them from controling the lives of others?

[edit on 21-2-2007 by DJMessiah]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Jesus did not discriminate. The Catholic church (and all churches) should try to be more like the savior they worship instead of preaching hatred and exclusion.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The Catholic church is out of date and out of touch with reality.
The Church stance on Gay adoption can put with the church dealings with Sexual abuse scandals and the use of condoms in Africa to combat Aids in Africa.

So in the year 2007 the Catholic Church discriminates against Gays , has been soft on Sexual abuse and is indirectly contributing to Aids related deaths which ought to be criminal.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
The rules set on gay adoptions have nothing to do with Christianity, but rather man made laws created by churches. The Bible forbids sodomy, and yet its teaching has no relevance to whether a homosexual man or woman should have the right to adopt. While these baseless laws are made, hundreds of thousands of children all over the world will grow to adulthood without having parents or any form of parental influence. This is getting ridiculous and seriously needs to change.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
The rules set on gay adoptions have nothing to do with Christianity, but rather man made laws created by churches.

Now you have lost me.
Don't the churches represent Christianity ?
Isn't that like that saying a politician passes a bill that he/she sponsored but the government didn't create the bill ?

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 02:36 AM
link   
The church is a channel for spreading Christianity, but it does not represent Christianity, for the simple fact that it doesn't represent every Christian.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 05:18 AM
link   
the church has a problem with gay adoptions because of their religious doctrines. right or wrong, prejudice or not, well, their doctrines are protected under religious freedom. if not, well, can we force them to allow women priestesses? or maybe force them to donate some of their charity monies for abortions?

I believe that the church's should have the freedom not to compromise their doctrines.. so instead of forcing the church on this issue, maybe it would be better if they provided more alternatives to church sponsored adoption centers instead?

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The problem isn't focused with the Church banning gay Catholics from adopting, the problem is with them trying to ban all gays from adopting, not just Catholics. They're focused on stopping laws that would give homosexuals the same freedoms as everyone else. Laws pertaining to religion should not matter because this isn't a religious issue.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
First of all, I believe that an adoption agency (whether run by the church or the state) is a government facility, not a religious one. If they want to call the freedom of religion card, have them run the adoptions from church and have the orphans housed in the church. Not in a government sanctioned facility that the tax payer pays for. If you are housed by the government, you have to follow their rules not outdated doctrin.

I could be wrong though about the orphanages.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
If theyre going to be buddhist martyrs, i.e. kill themselves and nobody else, I'm all for it.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
And we allow the Catholic church to exist why again?

Seriously though, if the church decides to break the laws, than anyone
who is involved in the law breaking should be sent to prison for life on
charges of crimes against humanity, that is trying to take the rights of
others away.

[edit on 2/22/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I'm kind of confused as to the story here. But it sounds like the church is going to refuse to adopt to gays. Do churches have adoption agencies??? I thought the government ran adoption agencies...

And for those who consider refusing to adopt to gays a religious right? Aren't you the same people who thought the following about the teacher who wanted to wear her burka in the classroom: If she cannot properly do her job, she should get another job...

If the church cannot properly do its job according to the LAW, then they shouldn't be in the business of adopting.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   
They have no place to say who can and can't adopt. They can say who can and cant be a member of their church or have a position in the church, but they cannot take away some one elses right. Plain and simple really. If they break the law, send them to jail for proper sentencing. I dont know what the broken law would be, or how much the fine or jail time is, but if its broken, then it should be done.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   

You have voted Benevolent Heretic for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have used all of your votes for this month.

You've been deserving a WATS from me for a while now, so I finally gave you one for these statements.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
And for those who consider refusing to adopt to gays a religious right? Aren't you the same people who thought the following about the teacher who wanted to wear her burka in the classroom: If she cannot properly do her job, she should get another job...

If the church cannot properly do its job according to the LAW, then they shouldn't be in the business of adopting.

You put it way more eloquently than I could have.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Ok, here is my problem with this. If these children are beiong taken care of by the church, paid for by the church, etc. Then the government cannot force them to deal with gay parents.

Now, if its an adoption agency paid for by the government, then yes they have to abide by the ruling.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
So then, it is ok for children to be taught to be gay, and seek same sex relationships, with the likeliness of being encouraged or pressed to find a good gay partner in middle school, or even younger?

Because that is what will happen. It is already happening no doubt. I sure hope all you who support this have middle school aged children that all turn gay, so you can see the sickness it will bring to the world.

I am fine with allowing homosexuals to marry, and even teach and hold political jobs. I will be damned if we allow them to adopt children, and then they will raise gay children that will try and turn my own kids in school. Argue the issue all you want, thats what will happen.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
thats what will happen.

Maybe in your small mind. Not in the real world.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join