It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much do black holes control/effect time?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I am fascinated with black holes and how they distort the fabric of space/time. My question is are black holes the clocks of galaxies, that is do black holes facilitate the speed of time in its neighborhood.
Light comes from, stars and the sun, where does time come from? What I guess I am trying to ask is; is there a way to break "time as we know it," or would destroying a black hole slow down or speed up time drastically. You can destroy light by destroying the source of the light, is there a way to destroy the source of time(without destroying myself of course)?

If it does facilitate the speed of time in its neighborhood might this one day lead to a new more efficient way of space travel? If we could mimic the effects of a black hole on a smaller level?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Low Orbit
If we could mimic the effects of a black hole on a smaller level?

If the effect of a black hole could be observed at the smallest scale....

perhaps matter itself is a byproduct of what is occuring beyond the event horizon, at the point of the singularity ...

perhaps matter itself is in fact an inverted singularity??

perhaps gravity is nothing more than matter's inheritance from the singularity??

concerning time: Everything i can witness throughout reality that is used as a bases for measuring time is based upon systems in nature that are round and circular. The only variable that says time is linear may be our opinions.

If i could shrink down small enough to be able to reach out with my hand and grab an electron, a proton, or a neutron, could i physically grab what is not physical?

quantum physics seems to be telling us that matter is not solid, but rather condensed energy, condensed light.

So, what observable phenomenon in nature has the gravitational cause which results in light being condensed to the point where it would appear to be physical matter?

my best response thus far: The singularity, a black hole.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Not even a spek of light can escape. That pretty much has them in control over a lot of things.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   
what if light is not being "sucked" in so much as it may be attracted to the black hole?

Honestly, if the light wasn't happy there, surely more of it would be leaving it if it could, right?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
supposedly the universe is always expanding. blackholes suck everything in... maybe they're there to sort of regulate the expansion?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
For me it's all about gravity.

Without gravity you ain't got diddily....which I think is the title of an old oakridge boys song.

I also like Well's idea about black holes being some sort of statusquo device...interesting and fun little noodle to play with...but I digress.

Gravity affects time in lots of different ways. I believe time slows down the closer you get to the center of the blackhole (before you're completely atomized) because the gravity is so dense.

Without gravity life would never form, let alon orbits or the chemical reactions that form stars in the first place.

Gravity is the key to it all.

IMO of course.

Spiderj

PS also never underestimate the metaphysical healing properties of a nice slice of pie.

So I guess in the end the key to it all is gravity and pie.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Low Orbit
My question is are black holes the clocks of galaxies, that is do black holes facilitate the speed of time in its neighborhood.

Light comes from, stars and the sun, where does time come from?

What I guess I am trying to ask is; is there a way to break "time as we know it," or would destroying a black hole slow down or speed up time drastically.

You can destroy light by destroying the source of the light, is there a way to destroy the source of time(without destroying myself of course)?

If it does facilitate the speed of time in its neighborhood might this one day lead to a new more efficient way of space travel? If we could mimic the effects of a black hole on a smaller level?

Current quantum theory predict that time slows down as you approach the event horizon and stops at it. There is no theory that predicts any kind of 'regulation' to time.

Time is mostly an illusion brought about by movement. Time travels at the speed of light at least according to special relativity. Which is how the whole idea of time travel comes about(in a physics sense). According to SR information can't travel faster than light, but given the nature of a Black hole (or wormhole or other exotic matter) it might theoretically be possible to get information faster than light can convey it.

Destroying a black hole is (according to current theory) normal...they decay over time (granted a LONG time) but quantum uncertainty allows for particles to tunnel out of the event horizon. If the black hole has 'cleaned' up the area around it...ie no more matter falling into it then it would eventually dissipate. That wouldn't have any effect on time.

I recall reading about some theory (that arose from a sci-fi book) about using a controlled singularity as a means to bypass SR, the math at the time concluded that it would require 3-4x all the energy in the universe to make it work. (Talk about a gas guzzler!)

Of course most of this is based on todays SM (standard model) and I think that is likely to change drastically in the next few decades.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Time is a man-made notion and I believe the only reason it is a standard in our world is due to the inability to disprove it in our current physical form. Time as we know it is merely from our perspective. Gravity is what makes it possible. I believe it to be the true building blocks of life. Gravity formed our sun, planets and other various satelites. It causes the Earth to orbit the sun, providing us with cycles; and we manipulate and mold them into something our minds understand.

There have been numerous misconceptions throughout human history where the original observations of unexplainable every day occurances are completely false..

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Could the big bang and black holes be two examples of sources of gravity. How do we know there was such thing as "gravity" before the big bang.

Could the big bang and black holes "electrically/magnetically charge" the universe around it and that is the actual reason of both the movement throuout the universe and the reason why objects of mass are attracted to each other.

Could an electric/magnetic explosion of cosmic proportions be the reason for our current understanding of gravity.

The argument said another way, if you take out the electric/magnetic currents in an object can you make it lose some of it's gravitational qualities?

top topics

join