It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to know why you believe in GOD?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I believe in GOD, its kind of hard to explain why. Its strange but I just know he exist. I don't believe in the rhetoric that all the religions have told me. I don't subscribe to their interpretations of the past. I've seen several post about this or that and I wanted to get a feel for what you all feel.

Its ok to post if you don't believe in god, but you must back up you answer.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76

I want to know why you believe in GOD?

I believe i have exhausted all other avenues of thought and of reason. And God is the only remaining logical recourse, the only remaining path since all others seem to lead to a deep seeded yearning and desire for comprehension of truth and compliance with truth, yet fall short of explaining all contradictions. Truth must reside where we have not gone, yet.

I believe in GOD, its kind of hard to explain why.

You are not alone. The failure may be ours, or it may be due to the lack of words to describe it.

Its strange but I just know he exist.

You are not alone.

I don't believe in the rhetoric that all the religions have told me.

Perhaps God wants us to learn compassion and tolerance. Perhaps the Truth of what God is can be depicted as a jigsaw puzzle, with each faith, each religion having a peice of the puzzle, hidden away within them?

I don't subscribe to their interpretations of the past. I've seen several post about this or that and I wanted to get a feel for what you all feel.

Religion, spirituality, theology, philosophy, all disciplines seem to be centered upon the same concerted effort. They all strive to comprehend and understand how all feel about this or that. So, in effect your goal is the same goal that all religions have, i believe.

Its ok to post if you don't believe in god, but you must back up you answer.

I, a mere staff sergeant and fire fighter in the united states air force ....
I, john paul peter goede believe in god because there is no other thing to believe in that has not failed to live up to it's expectations.

thanks,
john

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Well, i believe in God because i always have.

people that don't believe are usually quick to tell me that the only way possible to have such a belief is to have been given it by other tangible mortals early in life.

but they haven't lived my life so that is an assumption which tends to be on the condescending side; however i try to ignore it personally.

i remember when my parents and i moved to where we live now from Tuscon Arizona...i was around 2. The memory i have of the house we left wasn't given to me by anyone - and my mom confirmed my description of the kitchen of which we have no photographs.

the reason i relate that is because my first trip to any church of any sort was after that...and i know that Jesus was not a new idea to me then...in fact i remember thinking it was neat that they knew him, too.

So i was just born that way. why? i know not. I just know in whom i have believed and am persuaded that HE is able...you know!

and HE HAS proven Himself to me...i cannot explain to an unbeliever but that is because they don't believe. it is what it is.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Hello Friends,

I believe in G-d because of the numerous religious experiences that I have had throughout my life. You know its interesting, because like Queen Annie suggests, it like i've always known him as she has. He makes me weep often and I know he is with me and loves me. He is the most beautiful conception my mind has ever beheld and the very thought of him within me makes me cry tears of joy!
Its time to love like never before friends, change is in the wind.

Regards

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I was baptised as a Luthran. I went to biblr camp's and outing for catycism's. I have a brother inlaw who is Musilm and the rest of my family are going to a local church called 'Celebrate' (Nondenominational) my mother believe's in 'Jesus' and his way to 'God' but choose's not to 'Have to go to a plce of 'Worship' because it is too commercialized. I was also baptized by the before mention church on an outing, and 'Yes' , I was a member for a short period of time.
I have a friend who is now in his 60's and has studied religion during his college year's and was a very strong 'Agnostic' up until recently, he has found out , even though he has led a good clean life, "he's afraid of death." Now he is venturing back into the community of the church and does find companionship there with both his aged of people and another newly discovered younger crowd. It makes him happier with where he is in his world, there for, being's he is my 'Good Friend' it makes me happy for him as well.
The thing that throw's me off kilter with my friend's decision is that he can talk circle's with the best of reverands and pastor's, but yet he has seeked them out for comfort. I have had a chance to discuss this with him and I could'nt avoid the question "Why all of a sudden now Jon?" (My friends name) He told me that he knew it is a bunch of hogwash for people to having being munipulated for soooo many centuries by the pulpit. The places you will go and the thing's that can 'Suposedly' happen to you if you deny or go against 'Almighty God' and is very adiment in the fact that there is something out there after here, a different plain of 'Being' for lack of a better word. He has came to a conclusion with discussion's with me and other's that "We are all like an Ice cube, we started from a vaporice state, became a liquid, became a solid. And just like that, we become a liquid state again and then we slowly evaporate to back to the exact thing we had started from,a vapor." Though it kind of blew me away, I fully understood. So I asked him about his thought's on 'God' as a singular 'All Powerful Deity' and what was his response for the conclusion to what it meant to hear or admit that after so many year's of struggling with his belief's? He went into an indepth biblical history lesson with this question, much to long to put hear, but to summerize his statement, "God is what ever you want it to be, and if it makes your mind at ease, releaves the stressess for the time being but most importantly, makes you Happy? Well I have to admit, thats my god to me."
He also has admitted that there is a 'God Delusion' that comes from the days of religion, but it usually were the people of oppression and unhappiness, that is until the richer folk's figured out how to munipulate it into what it has become today.
I personally am with my friend as far as it goes with the actual 'Existance' of god, "It's a play of the programming that has lasted for millenia's."

IMHO......:bnghd:

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I believe in GOD because I want to.

I could choose to be an Atheist, I could choose to be a Christian, I could choose to be Buddhist, Islamic, B'Hai, Hindu - what ever.

What I chose was to come up with my own concept of GOD and believe in it.

I think that's what it comes down to for most of us. We choose what to believe.
I made a conscious decision to believe in GOD. Seems simple to me.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Initiation is my reason

curerntly some of us think that change could very well be non linear in parts of our universal environment and this can explain various things but with our current knowledge I think that existance needs to be intitiated regardless of any motion of change (i.e. linear, spherical or any other objective motion). Therfore I think a being what we tend to call "God" must be responsible for this and not necessarily wanting or requiring devotion in return.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I believe in God because I do not believe that humans are capable of being perfect and creating a utopia by their own power. Therefore, I seek to find a source that is capable and I found that in God.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I believe in God because I came to understand thats where good comes from and originated.

Shame I had to come face to face with evil to realize and see I was batting for the wrong team first.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Having been raised up in a strict church environment, I believed in church more than God and had the two confused. In my late 20's God would show me that HE is not about legalsims and catch phrases but real and desiring fellowship with mankind. Blows my mind. I couldn't possible type down a lifetime of experiences that God has spared me from, provided for me, and held me in the palm of His Hand through so much and even when I wasn't deserving. This kind of LOVE grace and mercy was way beyond my comprehension.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I believe in god but not because anyone told me too but because it makes sense and i feel there is something special about the whole god scenario and i've had some strange experiences so for me god is almost a sure thing but i am confused as to who god is.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by reaper2

...i am confused as to who god is.

As you should be. God is a mystery. Not even those who think they know know for sure? For example, I have caught myself writing on one subject yet when I look more closely at what I have written it actually contained instructions that only certain people could recognize. What this means is that even God himself, in the flesh, may be unaware of who he actually is? The reason for this is protective. Thoughts are broadcasts that can be received and interpreted and relayed to those incapable of capturing the thoughts themselves. Hence, YHWH does not make all revelation available to his annointed as function of illumination. If he did then his plans could be thwarted due to interception of thought transmissions through the spirit.

As an example, one of my writings, detailing a spiritual experience used letters and numbers to secretly convey the digits 666. At the time of my writing I did not understand why I chose to describe a sheet of paper in the way I did, I was simply writing and describe an actual occurrence.

The number of the beast thus appeared as follows, ...

6" by 6" sheet of paper.
Only God knows why I chose to utilize those specific characters to describe the message on a sheet of paper that read as follows, "...For we walk by faith not by sight." All I can say with certainty friends is "...Thy Blessed Kingdom Will Come!" and only LOVE is TRUE so trust no one, because everything is potentially a lie except the ONE thing.

Regards

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Is because I have heard, and seen way too many miracles: Like the man who prayed to god to get better before his surgery. When the surgeons opened him up they found that the cancer cells were gone. Or a blind man who wakes up and is able to see after years with out, etc.

www.mcn.org...

There are miracles that happen everyday. Wheiter we notice our not.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   

www.mcn.org...

i looked over the website
i don't see any skeptical evaluation of these supposed miracles that verifies that they were unexplainable

actually, i've yet to see anyone who claims a miracle be open to true skeptical analysis

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Is because I have heard, and seen way too many miracles: Like the man who prayed to god to get better before his surgery. When the surgeons opened him up they found that the cancer cells were gone. Or a blind man who wakes up and is able to see after years with out, etc.

www.mcn.org...

*I'm with you on this one.....true confirmed story is.....

My brother was only 9 months old when doctors discovered he had a bone overlapping his heart and as his heart would grow, it would be sufocated. This was in the 60's so modern medicine wasn't as accurate. The surgery for open heart was discussed with my mom and dad and he had very SMALL percent chance of survivng the heart surgery at such a fragile age.

The day of surgery came. The prep people placed my then lil brother in his surgical attire and ran the tests again for exact locations and such when SUDDENLY!!!....They could NOT believe their eyes, the bone had TOTALLY DISAPPEARED! GONE!! The doctors and all involved were so astounded!

Now my brother is in his 40's and ironically an ordained pastor~!

This is one of so many miracles that are unexplainable that happened in our family. Of course the greatest to me is His Love and salvation.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   
madnessinmysoul.
Going off the last two posts regarding miracles, there are only two real conclusions you can come to.
1, there was an illness and they were healed or
2, they made a mistake and nothing was wrong with them in the first place.
now any sceptic would probbley go with No2 because No1 is to hard to comprehend. but a person who has faith in God would know that this sort of thing happens. At least I do.
You may wonder, if it is true why don't people shout it from the rooftops, why isn't it on the news? The answer is that there are to many people waiting in the sidelines to try and make them look like fools, that there is a logical reason for the healing as miracles don't happen in todays modern world.
You know what makes me angry when I read posts here on ATS like, Jesus didn' exist, prove there is a God and other similar threads, its the belief that God is just in the mind. Faith is something we have because we need to believe in something.
NO. My faith comes from things like this, God actually doing things in peoples lives, making a difference in the world. Once you have experienced this for yourself nothing, no matter what anyone says will ever make me NOT believe in God.
The amount of healings that take place in the world may seem like a drop in the ocean, but for the people that do recieve it, it is truely a miracle.
I just thank God for being there for these people.
Jon1.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Thank you Jon:-) God has used my brother in so many peoples lives, he is one the rare true ones around my area as far as a Minister.

God Bless~
Lisa

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 12:17 AM
link   
jon1, ok, let's just say that god does in fact allow faith healing miracles to occur

i just want to ask you 1 question: why doesn't god heal amputees?

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Good question.
As you must be aware, praying for someone to be healed requires faith, that can be from the person praying, the person recieving or a third party praying with you. I know this from past experience.
I know quite a few people that pray for healing and come to think of it, I don't think any one of them has enough faith to ask God to grow a new leg in front of thier eyes. including me. Boy, that would be cool, next thing you know I'd be trying to raise the dead.
God can be confusing at times and I wish I knew how he worked but no one does. He does say though that his thoughts are not our thoughts and his ways are not our ways. No wonder we are confused sometimes and don't have all the answers for you.
I'll let you into another little gem. Look up "fruits of the spirit". God has loads of gifts for us when he wants us to help others and I have had my fair share over the years.
Quite exciting this Christian thing isn't it. Who says its all in our head. maybe thats why there are 2.1 billion of us,
Hope this answers your question.
All the best.
Jon1.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Well God aparently believes in me so I might as well return the favor right?

I met god on a bus one time. She told me the meaning of life and gave me a pretzel, I should have wrote it down but that was one good pretzel...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join