It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Urban Life Can Keep You Fit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   

People who live in the densest, pedestrian-friendly parts of New York City have a significantly lower body mass index (BMI) compared to other New Yorkers, a new study finds.
Lower BMI indicates less body fat.

The researchers say placing shops, restaurants and public transit near residences may promote walking and independence from private automobiles.

"There are relatively strong associations between built environment and BMI, even in population-dense New York City," said the study's lead author Andrew Rundle of the Mailman School of Public Health.

In the new study, Rundle and colleagues looked at data from 13,102 adults from New York City’s five boroughs.
Matching information on education, income, height, weight and home address with census data and geographic records, they determined access to public transit, proximity to commercial goods and services and BMI, a measure of weight in relation to height.

City dwellers living in areas evenly balanced between residences and commercial use had significantly lower BMIs compared to New Yorkers who lived in mostly residential or commercial areas.

SOURCE:
LiveScience.com

This was sort of something I always sort of suspected, as I notice
that people who live in more populated urban environments tend
to walk more than drive.

I personally live in a semi-urban environment, and I walk pretty
much everywhere.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Depends on the urban culture. Here in Texas, we have no mass transport (same as many other western states) and we's gettin' just a bit plump.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
It really doesn't come as a shock to anyone I guess... Moving around instead of using means of transportation = Exercise.

What I find more interesting, is what they eat.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
here in Canada due to the cold, walking is not a pleasant option over driving...reason why I take advantage in the summer, in which dalily walks to the park or grocery store are more pleasant.

top topics

join