It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Portal discovered

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
One question that I want to ask..

What exactly is time, other than our perception of it?

Can this be manipulated at all?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by one_small_step

Hey Melbourne, I'm not sure I agree, and at the same time I don't want to de rail this thread, but the constant in the above post is 5 years... so he'll be five years older regardless where his bro has been.... he's come back after 5 earth years period.

just my 2 cents, but its all theory isn't.

The assumption that the 5 years is the constant is precisely the error. Brother A on earth experiences 5 years, while brother B in the spaceship experiences almost no time passage. This phenomena is referred to as time dilation and is predicted and explained by the Lorentz transformation. The fundamental assumption made is that the two observers will always observe light as traveling at the same speed, and as a consequence it is their observation of the passage of time that must change to make the numbers work out right.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
One question that I want to ask..
What exactly is time, other than our perception of it?
Can this be manipulated at all?

I am not exactly sure, but I do know you need one of these time machine's to figure it out....

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Time portal discovered? What is a time portal? Were you reffering to a stargate? I have read/heard of two possible stargates. One is allegedly in Antartica and the other perhaps in Iraq or Egypt!

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
get of that weed yall just 2 dumb if yall belive in everything i know the government is lyin all the time but seriously we cant travel in time i dont belive that # be4 i c it.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Sure you can travel in time, but it takes equipment you can't get.

1) You can do it with an infinitely long cylinder, if the cylinder is rotating at a very high rate of speed so that the surface is moving at a relativistic velocity. IIRC you need about 1/2C. You can do it with a less than infinite cylinder if it's significantly longer than your ship, and very very massive.

2) You can spin a black hole very quickly and form a toroid. There are solutions to the approach that allow for you to enter the aperture in such a way that you can survive the tidal forces (Kerr metric), and inside the "bag", time and space reverse. You can navigate the hole in such a way that you reemerge in the past.

3) There's a trick with a naked singularity that might work, but it's pretty iffy.

4) If you have a working Mach decoupler, you can push the decoupling angle all the way to 90 degrees and you'll leave the known universe. No one's ever come back, but theoretically, you have a set of time-like solutions to re-entry that would return you to a past universe. But most of the solutions just dice you up like chutney, not to mention that no-one's really sure what happens if you completely decouple.

Well, maybe I'm kidding about #4. whistles, looks up

DCP

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
ummm, this must be my USA public school education again. So a balloon goes up and somehow knows it's in 1965. What is on a weather balloon that lets it tell the date? Then it comes back in time but somehow the instraments still think it's 1965, interesting

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Bedlam
Sure you can travel in time, but it takes equipment you can't get.

1) You can do it with an infinitely long cylinder, if the cylinder is rotating at a very high rate of speed so that the surface is moving at a relativistic velocity. IIRC you need about 1/2C. You can do it with a less than infinite cylinder if it's significantly longer than your ship, and very very massive.

2) You can spin a black hole very quickly and form a toroid. There are solutions to the approach that allow for you to enter the aperture in such a way that you can survive the tidal forces (Kerr metric), and inside the "bag", time and space reverse. You can navigate the hole in such a way that you reemerge in the past.

3) There's a trick with a naked singularity that might work, but it's pretty iffy.

4) If you have a working Mach decoupler, you can push the decoupling angle all the way to 90 degrees and you'll leave the known universe. No one's ever come back, but theoretically, you have a set of time-like solutions to re-entry that would return you to a past universe. But most of the solutions just dice you up like chutney, not to mention that no-one's really sure what happens if you completely decouple.

Well, maybe I'm kidding about #4. whistles, looks up

Tom, I knew you were holding back...

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo

Tom, I knew you were holding back...

The first one was from Frank Tipler's "Rotating Cylinders and the Possibility of Global Causality Violation". I looked for a copy that you guys can access for free but can't find one.

The Kerr metric trick is sort of a version of it but smaller. Of course, it takes a black hole you can spin up until it turns into a doughnut. That might be a bit tough.

I told you that it was hard to do.

And of course, there's Mach decouplers.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   

the best I have for you is I know there is projection of energy that manifests to become the portal and there is something spinning extremely fast, perhaps faster than the speed of light, perhaps on the cusp of hyper speed or hyper space and perhaps there is more than one frequecy to consider within the machines different moving parts that give results

MMP

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar_Chi
This timeline sux anyway I'm all for ppl going back to medieval with pepsi cans etc

Maybe it's already happened and that's why this timeline sucks so bad.

Like some of the posters in this thread, I am weary of accepting some of that site's claims.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be cool if it were true? This is the kind of news that will never get picked up by the real media because they are affraid to find out.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Not to beat a dead horse but MelborneMilitia's theory is correct. his explaination of timelines and his thought experiment on C travel.

the reason 50 years passes on earth is becuase thats how long the boy in the ship has traveled. as was mentioned earlier time dilation occurs. the boy in the ship travels 5 years worth of dilated time= 50 standard years.

of course the numbers are fictitious the equation suggest that 1 lightyear = 10 standard years.

now if the boy in the ship would not travel under the altered time of dilation and travel 5 years, when he came back it would be 5 years passed. but due to the theoretical nature of traveling at the speed of light, it is not known how to avoid dilation.

the only way around this problem is to go through it. if 5 dilated years = 50 standard years, then in order to stay on time with a schedule you must convert 1/5 of a dilated year = 1 standard year, so one and so forth. a compensation must take place in order to keep time.

[edit on 21/2/07 by Glyph_D]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
This is probably a Pravda hoax... As DCP pointed out earlier - Why is the clock changed when returned - unless someone adjusted it while in 1965 to display that time.

No matter what happened to the clock - it would still display the time it's set too.

J

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Originally posted by one_small_step

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia

Heres an example - if 2 twin brothers of 20 years old, one stays on earth and the other travels in a craft into space. The craft travels at light speed for say 5 years and returns to earth, where the remaining twin has always been. Thou the remaining twin is now 50 years old.

This theory occurs because time slows when traveling at the speed of light so the twin in the space craft's time was much slower whilst the twins on earth was at normal pace, and when he returned the diverging timelines rejoined.

Does that make sense? I tried as much as I can, hopefully others can contribute.

Hey Melbourne, I'm not sure I agree, and at the same time I don't want to de rail this thread, but the constant in the above post is 5 years... so he'll be five years older regardless where his bro has been.... he's come back after 5 earth years period.

just my 2 cents, but its all theory isn't.

[edit on 21-2-2007 by one_small_step]

Aigh, I will disagree with him as well..

While in theory though hard to prove, going at the speed of light AGANIST the Earths orbit or gravitational force will make time on Earth pass faster then the Craft, or the Craft goes slower. With theoretical test they have been able to go back in time by the nano seconds to seconds but nothing more. The problem is you would have to be in a huge craft and going that fast against Earth rotation will bring you out of orbit.

hmmm its true though....when you are out in space at the speed of light you do age slower than here on earth. most scifi movies and shows refer to this. in most scifi shows they have to be put in some kind of stasis (dont count star trek)

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Isn't time relative to the observer? I thought if you were in a ship moving at 95% the SOL, time would still seem to progress at a normal rate by your observation.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Glyph_D
of course the numbers are fictitious the equation suggest that 1 lightyear = 10 standard years.

1 lightyear = 1 year... no-one can change that. 1 lightyear is the distance of light travelling in a year. so if you were to travel at the speed of light for a year... you would be 1 lightyear away (duh). You can do the maths if you want...

now if the boy in the ship would not travel under the altered time of dilation and travel 5 years, when he came back it would be 5 years passed. but due to the theoretical nature of traveling at the speed of light, it is not known how to avoid dilation.

Hmm.

the only way around this problem is to go through it. if 5 dilated years = 50 standard years, then in order to stay on time with a schedule you must convert 1/5 of a dilated year = 1 standard year, so one and so forth. a compensation must take place in order to keep time.

Speed of light aside. Explain to me why do astronauts come back from space stations in a matter of months? They experience it in a period of months, as we do on earth.

And for people who think that going through a blackhole will send you back in time... well I'll tell you one thing, it'll send you back as radiation. There is only 1 thing that can go faster than the speed of light and that is the radiation the blackhole throws out (after devouring a star, or something else). I don't believe in time travel. Because NO-ONE can reverse time, time travel (to me) is only a scientific fantasy. Though I do believe in parallel time (or dimensions if you will. Quantum mechanics is weird).

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Hey everyone great discussion.

Something I have always wondered though (of course I can't prove it):

Lets say for example sake there was 2 other dimensions (X and Y) we discovered:

If time in dimension X was going faster somehow then our time
and
Dimension Y was going slower then our time. If we could enter either dimension at any time wouldn't that constitute a sort of time travel?

I believe in other dimensions but one thing of course we don't know is how time moves in those dimensions as compared to ours. Maybe those dimensions have an entirely new set of physics that are different then ours. Only thing I can grasp is actually travelling backwards the instant you want to. Even though one of my time zones would be slower you would only be sitting there for a certain amount of time until our dimension goes faster and then come back.

Maybe those aliens have found a way to bounce back and forth using dimensions . Any one think this is possible?

[edit on 25-2-2007 by leafer]

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Here is a basic question:

What is the clock syncing up with? A wireless time server which transmits the current time would have been required in January 27, 1965.

A clock can't accurately reset by itself without an external source of information so I must consider the story as BS.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar_Chi
This timeline sux anyway I'm all for ppl going back to medieval with pepsi cans etc

Hah, oddly enough that's totally what I want.

On topic though, I find this story very hard to believe. It just seems to have too many holes in it. Though I do think that time travel of sorts is possible. And I do believe in the theory of multiple time lines.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join