It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC: Blair to announce troop pullout from Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   

BBC: Blair to announce troop pullout from Iraq

Source Link: www.msnbc.msn.com

Prime Minister Tony Blair on Wednesday will announce a new timetable for the withdrawal of British troops from Iraq, with 1,500 to return home in several weeks, the BBC reported.

Blair will also say during his weekly appearance at the House of Commons that a total of about 3,000 British soldiers will have left southern Iraq by the end of 2007, if security there is sufficient, the British Broadcasting Corp. said Tuesday, quoting unidentified government sources.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Well, I guess Prince Harry was just lucky eh?

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Awake and All Seeing
Well, I guess Prince Harry was just lucky eh?

Exactly what I was thinking. I smell a rat.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
so transparent it's sad.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 04:02 AM
link   

They're pulling troops to save Prince Harry the trouble?

You people seriously need to get a clue.

The princes' uncle, Prince Andrew, fought in the Falklands War and his grandfather, Prince Philip, saw service during World War II...

William and Harry's father, the Prince of Wales, took up his first service appointment in 1969 as colonel-in-chief of the Royal Regiment of Wales...

William and Harry's grandfather, the Duke of Edinburgh, had a distinguished military career, serving during World War II...

Source.

Elizabeth and her younger sister Margaret were educated at home. On the outbreak of war in 1939, they were evacuated to Windsor Castle. In 1945, Elizabeth joined the war effort, training as a driver in the Women's Auxiliary Territorial Service (WATS).

Source.

Just a few examples.

They provide a nice contrast to this:

Democratic military veterans in the US Senate lashed out yesterday at Governor George W. Bush of Texas for failing to explain his apparent extended absence during his tenure in the Texas Air National Guard.

Source.

[edit on 21/2/07 by Implosion]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion

They're pulling troops to save Prince Harry the trouble?

You got it wrong, it was a PR stunt with foreknowledge.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Rubbish. Indeed, Prince Harry's deployment does not even seem to have been confirmed by any offical sources.

Royal officials say no decisions have been made — but that's not stopping the buzz over reports that Prince Harry will soon be deployed to Iraq...

The Ministry of Defense calls the reports "entirely speculative."

Source.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Ahahaha, if Haryy doesn't go to Iraq, he will be shipped off to Afghanistan, betcah thats where half or even all of those troops who are with drawn from Iraq will end up.

So technically if you look at it Harry is still going out there (maybe not Iraq though).

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Rubbish. Indeed, Prince Harry's deployment does not even seem to have been confirmed by any offical sources.

Royal officials say no decisions have been made — but that's not stopping the buzz over reports that Prince Harry will soon be deployed to Iraq...

The Ministry of Defense calls the reports "entirely speculative."

Source.

That's because it is an operational matter. The MoD never confirms anything until it has done them. Harry is a soldier and will go where he is told. All you twitchy peeps here will be eating humble pie when he does.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I guess stu, what I was trying to ask, is how could this be interpreted as a PR exercise, when the story never originated from an official source?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   

I guess stu, what I was trying to ask, is how could this be interpreted as a PR exercise, when the story never originated from an official source?

Indeed, I see your point. However, he is in the HC and he goes where they go. It's not hard for the inquisative journalist to find out rough details of deployments of any unit. Just go hang out near they're home base, go to a few local pubs or make enquiries and you can get a jist of what is going down, so there is probably truth in the rumour.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Prince Harry will almost certainly be deployed to carry out a tour of duty in Iraq, according to Whitehall sources.

The Prince would be the first senior Royal to serve on the front line since Prince Andrew in the Falklands in 1982.

His regiment is expected to be told it will serve in Iraq as part of the latest round of UK troop deployments.

Source.

That may well settle that one, I guess we'll find out for sure tomorrow.

[edit on 21/2/07 by Implosion]

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Just in case you missed it:

Prince Harry's regiment will be deployed to Iraq, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) and Clarence House have confirmed in a joint statement.
His Blues and Royals regiment will serve in Iraq for six months as part of the latest deployments.

The prince will be the first senior royal to serve on the front line since Prince Andrew in the Falklands in 1982.

While in Iraq, the prince will carry out "a normal troop commander's role", the statement said.

Source.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Mmmmm... I wonder just how the people of the UK would react to the death of a royal in Iraq A surge or patriotism and a need for vengeance giving the green light for a surge deployment? More so if the finger of guilt could be pointed at Iran as having ordered / carried out the attack.

I'm sure there are factions behind the scenes of our own government who would certainly have Prince Harry offed to further their own agendas.
I hope I am wrong but I just have a sneaking suspicion about his presence in Iraq, like he is being set up for a fall. It's not like he's the popular good looking one

top topics

join