It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Americans are Skeptical of Their Role in Global Warming

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   

According to the common perception, the temperature over the 20th century has been warming, and it is mostly anthropogenic in origin, with greenhouse gases (GHGs) being the dominant driver. Others, usually called "skeptics", challenge this view and instead claim that the temperature variations are all part of natural variability. As I try to demonstrate below, the truth is probably somewhere in between, with natural causes probably being more important over the past century, whereas anthropogenic causes will probably be more dominant over the next century. Following empirical evidence I describe below, about 2/3's (give or take a third or so) of the warming should be attributed to increased solar activity and the remaining to anthropogenic causes.

This being the authority you base your claims on? This person starts out the claim "2/3's (give or take a third or so).
Give or take a third goes on long way! We are not dealing with 8th's or 6'th's so to give or take would not effect the outcome as drastic as "giving or taken a third" would. He presents his information well but fails to deliver with his probablity factors.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaAnuOmega
Global Warming isn't a scam. It's been around since the 70' when the CO2 levels started to rise drastically. The scam has been the government telling us that there is no problem with polluting and that Global Warming is a Hoax. It is now a political issue because the US government was caught in a lie. A CEO would be forced to resign and pay a hefty fine. The US president is allowed to sit back and keep lying to us. Thanks to ignorant Americans we passed the Patriot Act and now have absolutely no rights!

REPLY: Global warming is in fact a reality, and has been around since the birth of the planet.

The air in America is cleaner now then it was before the industrial revolution, thanks to Capitalism, where corporations make enough profit to clean up after themselves.

Over the past 30 years, over 85% of particulate matter in our air has been reduced by 90%.

The main cause of global warming is the same as it always has been: Solar Sun Spot Activity and water vapor in the atmosphere. Hmmmmm I wonder when someone will do a study on what would happen if 100% of the cars were hydrogen powered.

Completely eliminating ALL CO2 in the atmosphere would reduce the average global temperature 1/7th of one degree.

Please list the rights you have lost.... meaning, where the Bill of Rights have actually been changed.

The Kyoto Protocol is nothing more than a way to have a global government (the UN) control our economy. Being on this blog right now is contributing to Global Warming (if the fallacy of CO2 was true) because every single economic activity produces CO2 in one way or another.

Saving money or the earth's resources: From the beginning of it's design to the time it goes to the scrapyard, a Prius (spelling) uses more resources than does a mid-sized Hummer.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
you guys are a joke. To call this a serious discussion is absurd. The majority of you, especially perplexed, are good examples of why the rest of the world joins the words dumb and American together. Knee jerk jingoism may be just the thing at some right wing political rally but it doesn't do anything for constructive and intelligent dialog.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
you guys are a joke. To call this a serious discussion is absurd. The majority of you, especially perplexed, are good examples of why the rest of the world joins the words dumb and American together. Knee jerk jingoism may be just the thing at some right wing political rally but it doesn't do anything for constructive and intelligent dialog.

Name calling and personal attacks....
Typically left wing.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
There's also room for debate about whether or not global warming is necessarily a bad thing. After all, it would increase atmospheric density, freeing a lot of fresh water that's ordinarily locked in ice caps. Additionally, a large portion of the world's land is in acrtic zones, and global warming will open up a lot of that land to agriculture necessary to feed the increased human population.

I personally have no children, and I live in a country that will likely suffer least in any global catastrophe. So I really don't want to change my way of living just so a bunch of people I don't know can have a better life, if that's the option. The world could go to hell in a handbasket for all I care.

Nobody wants to say it, but it's the Chinese and Indians who are tipping the world over the edge when it comes to global warming. They have way too many people, and as their economies get better and they all want to watch TV and eat more beef and pork and drive their kids to school in non-fuel-efficient cars on paved roads, rather than using bicycles, then they pump way more greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere than Americans and Europeans and Japanese, who are working hard to get their pollution and populations under control.

But nobody wants to blame them or limit their growth because that wouldn't be "fair." (Besides, they'd tell you to go fish.) So let's all jump on America.

Well, you know what? Go ahead. America can take it. This world is not a popularity contest. If you don't like America, you're perfectly free to try and knock us off the top of the dungpile.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
From what I have read in text, the earth's atmospheric concentration has changed since the atmosphere first form. It was not N and O when it first formed. Big surprise, the planet is not static.

Waving your hands in the air and yelling 'global warming' does not prove a thing. I sit through hours of this everyday in physics and chemistry, plenty of handing waving to go around, and the hand waving proves nothing outside the shear misery of having to know what someone 'thinks'.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by etotheitheta
From what I have read in text, the earth's atmospheric concentration has changed since the atmosphere first form. It was not N and O when it first formed. Big surprise, the planet is not static.

Waving your hands in the air and yelling 'global warming' does not prove a thing. I sit through hours of this everyday in physics and chemistry, plenty of handing waving to go around, and the hand waving proves nothing outside the shear misery of having to know what someone 'thinks'.

And while you sit in class the oceans continue to rise, ice sheets continue to melt, fish species continue to die, the temputure continues to rise, and food sources, i.e. wheat and grain may begin to suffer as well. Now the changing of the earths atmospheric concentration is starting to affect Humanity in ways never documented. So while global warming may not "prove a thing" are its possible implications enough to allow you to tolerate the "shear misery" of what someone "thinks" as opposed to what you "think"?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 01:58 AM
link   
AlphaAnuOmega WROTE

Kindred you just contradicted yourself by global warming is a crock. Then you stated that the governments got us in this mess. Which one is it?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sorry I'll make myself clearer. What I meant is that I dont personally believe that humanity is totally responsible for global Warming, as our impact is minimal at best. Global Warming - the current meltdown is happening simply because the sun is heating up.

Should we do everything in our power to combat the effects. Yes!, of course we should but dont count on the corrupt governments around the world to do anything about it. To them it's just another reason & excuse to tax us.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone

And while you sit in class the oceans continue to rise, ice sheets continue to melt, fish species continue to die, the temputure continues to rise, and food sources, i.e. wheat and grain may begin to suffer as well. Now the changing of the earths atmospheric concentration is starting to affect Humanity in ways never documented. So while global warming may not "prove a thing" are its possible implications enough to allow you to tolerate the "shear misery" of what someone "thinks" as opposed to what you "think"?

Yeah, like I have no idea what you are talking about because it has been happening for a very long time, all this death and destruction. Longer than the existence of australopethicus. No, it doesn't make me want to tolerate their handwaving, an attention grabbing gesture to pull in money. Global warming has nothing to do with 'saving the environment', it is about money.

By the way, the earth's atmosphere is still about 79% N and 20% O and about 1% argon, hydrogen and then maybe .05% greenhouse gas, whatever it means, take it and run with it.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 02:05 AM
link   
AlphaAnuOmega wrote

The technology is there. In order to use hydrogen we can use the same engines we have now. It's not that hard. I've done it on a small scale. You can make cheap hydrogen, breaking the laws of physics, in your own garage. Why doesn't the government start promoting hydrogen...it's not in it's economic interest. But a $12 trillion war is??

Exactly, the word corrupt springs to mind and these people are going to save us.

Same old story. Governments are always reluctant to spend a penny to save lifes etc, but when it comes to war - there always seems to be an endless supply of money.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 02:08 AM
link   
You don't think that technology in anyway was brought about as a byproduct of these silly old wars? How odd would that be: all modern technology is a product of war.

Most of this is jibberish, what drugs are you people on?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaAnuOmega
Volcanoes produce millions of tons of C02 the US alone produces Billions of tons. That is 1 million million tons. That is a lot.

1 million million is a trillion, not a billion or a million.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Yeah, like I have no idea what you are talking about because it has been happening for a very long time, all this death and destruction. Longer than the existence of australopethicus. No, it doesn't make me want to tolerate their handwaving, an attention grabbing gesture to pull in money. Global warming has nothing to do with 'saving the environment', it is about money.

By the way, the earth's atmosphere is still about 79% N and 20% O and about 1% argon, hydrogen and then maybe .05% greenhouse gas, whatever it means, take it and run with it.

Now if you could just back up your "opinions" as fact such as their "handwaiving, grabbing gesture to pull in money" then I would say that what you present a case. But right now all you have done is spew your opinions as facts and try to throw out some numbers that you have just learned in class so make yourself appear educated on this subject. You go on to break down the percentages of what the earths atmosphere consists of yet gives us no reason why, and just tell us to run with it
You are also aware, i hope, the a swing in the earths temp of just a few degress on average can catastrophic damage to animal and plant life. Why? because the earth does not shift temps thats drastically naturally.

So until you prove to me otherwise, then yes IMHO you have no idea what you are talking about. Please feel free to disprove me and everyone else in here who has been subject to your "opinions"

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
you guys are a joke. The majority of you ... are good examples of why the rest of the world joins the words dumb and American together.

.... and we don't care about your anti-American bigotry or what you think about us. Oh the jealousy ....

Because it has not even been decided for sure that humans are responsible for Global Warming, so why should we accept 'our role' in something that hasn't even been established as a product of humans??

Edited to add - why pick on America when other countries are allowed to get away with massive amounts of pollution just because they are 'developing'? That's just anti-American bias ... to point a finger and blame America for something that may or may not even be the fault of humans .. but to let the 'developing countries' continue on. tsk tsk tsk

[edit on 2/21/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Ah, Global Warming alarmism. Brought to you by the same junk science
and organizations that demanded the ban of DDT in the early 1970s. The result of that bad science is tens of millions of Malaria deaths, mostly in third world countries. I would rather believe a palm reader than those
coming to me with such poor and unconvincing evidence that Global Warming is anything other than a naturally occurring event.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Because it has not even been decided for sure that humans are responsible for Global Warming, so why should we accept 'our role' in something that hasn't even been established as a product of humans??

[edit on 2/21/2007 by FlyersFan]

Because we are supposed to be the leaders of the free world, and Leaders should lead by example! This is a serious issue the could have detrimental effects on humanity. Is this something your are willing to chance? I can tell you that I'm not. Why wouldn't you want to do your part regardless of whose fault it is or isn't? would you agree that all of the smog and endless destruction of the Brazillian rainforest is bad for the earth? It comes down to why do you not care? Laziness? Selfishness? Pick one. Because if you have half the education you claim to have then you would be taking a closer look at this topic instead of just dissmissing the issue as "not the product of humans". Keep that in mind if food stops growing due to drought, and extreme temps. Somehow I feel that "oops" isn't gonna help you when you grandkids ask you how you didn't see this coming? Kinda like a flat earth and the sun revolving and the earth. Two popular accepted by almost every educated person of the time. Thank goodness for people like socrates, and anyone else able to think for themselves.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAvenger
Ah, Global Warming alarmism. Brought to you by the same junk science
and organizations that demanded the ban of DDT in the early 1970s. The result of that bad science is tens of millions of Malaria deaths, mostly in third world countries. I would rather believe a palm reader than those
coming to me with such poor and unconvincing evidence that Global Warming is anything other than a naturally occurring event.

So lets just comeplety dismiss it, ignore it, hope your right and get back to whatever it was we were doing. Everyone except you Avenger, I would like you to go ahead and present your evidence that isn't so poor and unconvincing. If its so black and white then this should be fairly easy for you. Go ahead..... we are all anxious and waiting..

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Because we are supposed to be the leaders of the free world, and Leaders should lead by example!

Sure.

But what YOU said was this .... Why are Americans skeptical of their role in global warming. The ANSWER is .. because they have not been proven to even have a role in it. Humans have not been proven to have a role in global warming. It has not been proven to be anything more than a natural cycle. (so far). THAT is why. THAT is the answer to your question.

It comes down to why do you not care?

Caring is a separate issue than 'accepting our role'. Do you wish to change the topic to discuss who cares and who doesn't care about global warming?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   
In the rest of the world we discuss Global warming more often now adays, as most of us accept it for a fact now. When we've exhausted that topic of conversation we usually discuss 'the Americans' and their ignorance and excess.

Thinking back there was a time when your friends in the world use to defend you, now we usually just keep our mouths shut.

Nobody can ignore your greed, from the information i've been told and seen the United States uses 25% of the worlds resources with only 5% of the global population.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   
[edit on 21-2-2007 by grover]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join