It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupid Mt Hood Climbers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I can always understand a dramatic front page story rescue of someone whoe truly got in a bad predicament on accident. Such as a guy like James Kim who died trying to get help for his family when they got stuck in the snow in Oregon.

And of course I feel bad for anyone who gets in a bad way, and has the potential to die.

But comon people these guys went hiking on Mt Hood, which can be a very trecherous place, they managed to screw up, and were in big trouble. No one told them to go hike on mount hood, nothing necessitated them doing it, they were simply doing it for a thrill.

It sickens me that the news plays this up as if it's some great heroic thing. Oh wow look at how them and their dog survived. The only one I am really happy about getting rescued is that poor dog, because he didn't know any better, and his masters are morons. Hopefully the dog wises up and digs his way under the family fence.

There are so many more important things going on in the world, but the news would much rather throw britney spears shaved head, anna nicoles death, or stupid climbers in oregon on the front page.

It's natural selection...get over it.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Did this make National news again, or are you from Oregon like me?
This happens over, and over constantly! I live on this mountain, and it seem like a weekly event, that a bunch of climbers try to climb this mountain right in the middle of a damn snowstorm! That Mountain is not a place you’d want to mess around with nature!

The thing that irks me most about the climbers, most of them refuse to rent one of the tracking devices. I don’t get it?

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Nope, it made national news. It's also on most the major news sources websites.

I have been to mount hood on a few ocassions, and it seems about the last place I would want to be during a storm. How many rescuers need to be injured or die, or rescue helicopters crash trying to make rescues until people start to wise up.
I say climb at your own risk, and pre-pay in advance for a rescue team

[edit on 20-2-2007 by ReadilyUnavailable]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
well i work for the sar group that brought the 3 down to base camp and to tell the truth mt hood rescues are not a big problem. rescues on mt. hood account for 3.5 percent of all rescues in Oregon and 3 percent are mushroom hunters, yes the climbers get themselves in trouble in places that are more dangerous to themselves and to rescuers but in the big picture more many more people die because they don't wear personal flotation devices ( life jackets). the wilderness is not Disneyland and if you don't do your part to help yourself no one can save you the latest climbers did just that they had equipment and mountain locator's ( devices to locate you if you have a problem) and acted quickly to get help. so is it a problem yes is it a big problem no.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I think all mountain climbers are idiots, especially those bozos that climb mountains with no ropes and you only hear about them when they end up splattered on the rocks below.

So you climbed Mt. Everest......so what!? I wiped my butt by myself.

Peace

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcssar
you the latest climbers did just that they had equipment and mountain locator's ( devices to locate you if you have a problem)

That's great to hear they had those devices. It really is a small amount to pay for a little assurance. You guys do good work

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReadilyUnavailable
The only one I am really happy about getting rescued is that poor dog, because he didn't know any better, and his masters are morons. Hopefully the dog wises up and digs his way under the family fence.

That was a good one.

I think that they should have to pay for the cost of the rescue.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
search and rescue teams are almost unanimously against charging for rescues. it delays the response because people will wait and see if they can handle it them selves ( most can't) and delays are deadly even a few hours add immensely to the tast of finding someone .

on a side light it always amazes me when people ask how much we get paid for doing this. nearly all sar teams are volunteers who spend their own time and money to do this sometimes dangerous job.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
I think all mountain climbers are idiots...

That's why they all rope themselves together...to stop the sensible ones from going home

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith

Originally posted by Dr Love
I think all mountain climbers are idiots...

That's why they all rope themselves together...to stop the sensible ones from going home

LMAO...damn that strikes me funny! I hope that doesn't hurt somebody's feelings.

I Don’t think they are idiots, they really enjoy what they are doing, just the same as anyone else enjoys a hobby. There are times when better judgments should be used. wcssar, your a saint, because I wouldn't climb that mountain even if they paid me to rescue. I do like to go up to the lodge in the summer, and look at the other Mountains from such a great height though.

[edit on 2/21/2007 by jensouth31]

top topics

join