It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soul in a Black Hole?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I thought I would make a little thought experiment here, and I don't want this thread to be hijacked by the debate of whether we have souls or not.

So suppose in the future we are able to be near a black hole, and someone fall in. Now obviously that person will be killed by the gravitational forces of the black hole, but what will happen to his soul? Presumably it will also be sucked in. The soul is normally attached to the body, so it has to be at least partly in the material world, and so unless massless it will fall into the black hole. So the persons soul would be trapped in the black hole/destroyed when it touches the singularity.

Any thoughts?

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Apex, the soul will indeed pass with the body. I think you are asking more along the lines of what will happen to the spirit. Well, the spirit is not confined to the body nor the soulic part of the body...So the spirit will essentially be released from any aspect of trauma that the body or soul may experience in such a situation. If it seems that I differentiate between the soul and spirit, it is because I do.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
well, I am never entirely sure on the differentiation of soul and spirit, so i hadn't thought of that, but you are saying the spirit would escape regardless, why?

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The spirit is not confound to matter. What affect would matter have on the spiritual? How would matter affect the spiritual?

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
the spiritual tends to be removed from the laws of physics in our universe
god is removed from the 4th dimension (time) and is allowed to interfere in our universe, though it is supposed to be a closed system

in theory, i doubt a black hole would stop the soul

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Yes, I see your point, that it isn't of the material world and so is unaffected, which does make sense, but if it was totally unbound to this world then why is it attached to us in the first place?

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The singularity, as i understand it, is SPIRIT. Light amassed into ONE. This would be God. The spirit goes back to whence it came....the singularity.

If you consider the idea of not all black holes being collapsed stars but more like 'in' and 'out' doors...the sun (and other stars) would be the 'out' door whereas as invisible (undetected due to lack of light gathered at the event horizon) black hole would be the 'in' door.

In NDE's, most, if not all, people recount going through a dark tunnel (black hole). Now, consider the possibility that souls come down to materiality to fetuses as rays of light from the sun (unseen due to being light in light) and so that is the 'out'.

There is no 'trapped' or else there would be no reincarnation. I know not everyone believes in reincarnation, but as for me, i now know without a doubt i have lived other lives so i know it is a cycle in all ways and NEVER a 'dead end street.'

Just my .02

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
In NDE's, most, if not all, people recount going through a dark tunnel (black hole).

Interesting idea that one is I must say, it seems a possibility if there were a small enough black hole, or perhaps a wormhole out of this reality. i really hadn't considered it until now.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by apex
I thought I would make a little thought experiment here, and I don't want this thread to be hijacked by the debate of whether we have souls or not.

So suppose in the future we are able to be near a black hole, and someone fall in.

Why think of time as future, past, or present? Everything in reality that the idea of time is based upon says time is circular and round.

So, from the singularity's perspective, would time be linear? I think perhaps not.

And if a soul is immortal and does not cease to exist, what happens to the soul as it passes the event horizon into the singularity? I think this may be a pertanent question.

Now obviously that person will be killed by the gravitational forces of the black hole, but what will happen to his soul?

Maybe it depends upon what the individual is prepared to believe concerning what the soul is. It seems that the definition of what a soul is would have a bearing upon what the soul can do when confronted with the causes and effects of a black hole. I ponder these things myself.

Presumably it will also be sucked in.

Curious. If humanity is wrong in regards to how we perceive time, as well as many other aspects of reality, then are we certain that all things are being "sucked" in?

Take the "Light" for example. How sure are we that the light is being sucked in? Could it be that the light is attracted to the black hole?

The soul is normally attached to the body, so it has to be at least partly in the material world, and so unless massless it would fall into the black hole.

Yes, I would agree. Unless Massless it would fall into the black hole. So, perhaps having knowledge of "alone" and "nothing" would permit knowledge of "massless" prior to confrontation with a black hole.

persons soul would be trapped in the black hole/destroyed when it touches the singularity.

Any thoughts?

The only sure way of knowing if a soul could not withstand being destroyed when it meets the singularity would be knowingly confronting a soul which has already endured reaching the singularity.

And, since from the singularity's perspective time is condensed into one point and time, our being here may be proof to the contrary ... which suggests that souls in existance exist with the singularity's knowledge, to a degree.

Perhaps our physical selves only "trap" a portion of our soul, or at least not all of it ..... which raises even more questions.

[edit on 20-2-2007 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by apex
Yes, I see your point, that it isn't of the material world and so is unaffected, which does make sense, but if it was totally unbound to this world then why is it attached to us in the first place?

Well, it all depends on what you believe. The Gnostics essentialy believed that the creator of the physical world was "evil" and wanted to keep man's spirit bound and chained to it. Many people feel like the spirit's descension into matter came with the "fall of man."

I suspect that assuming that all spirits make a unified whole, the attraction of the spirit to matter is caused by a desire to experience the physical.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
In NDE's, most, if not all, people recount going through a dark tunnel (black hole).

no, most if not all CHRISTIAN near death experiences involve going through a dark tunnel

i've read a few interesting papers that show the sociological and cultural influences on NDEs, sadly, none of the ones i've read are online

but it is quite well known that NDEs vary due to religion and culture

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

I can't argue with... There are some varying experiences in NDE's. It leads me to believe that one's afterlife will probably depend upon what one is expecting for him/herself.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
God has control over all. He can step into a Black hole stop time what ever. You are ignoring the fact that he has control over our souls not space facts.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   

no, most if not all CHRISTIAN near death experiences involve going through a dark tunnel

i've read a few interesting papers that show the sociological and cultural influences on NDEs, sadly, none of the ones i've read are online

Do you know of this site? It has a large selection of examples, something must be useful:

www.near-death.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
God has control over all. He can step into a Black hole stop time what ever.

I like this idea.

What if the singularity is the sum of all souls?

What if the singularity or singulariti is god?

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
I like this idea.

What if the singularity is the sum of all souls?

What if the singularity or singulariti is god?

Well, it is, isn't it? On both counts, that is.

At least that is what i've come to understand, today, right now, so far.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 04:56 AM
link   
In my NDE I felt my body raising up out of my body. I was laying down on the operating table, yet my body from waist up was sitting outside of the rest of me, like half out, sitting up.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 05:02 AM
link   

the spiritual tends to be removed from the laws of physics in our universe
god is removed from the 4th dimension (time) and is allowed to interfere in our universe, though it is supposed to be a closed system

in theory, i doubt a black hole would stop the soul

Totally agree with this. Outside of time and space goes to an astronomical demension. To the @^*&^@^#@^%%!!! power.

top topics

join