It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Forced Out of Her Home by the City

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
I wonder what will happen when they start building that super highway through mexico, usa and canada. what will happen to the homes the road has to go through, will they be given there market value etc...

I have been wondering about that as well. There are going to be a lot of people made homeless to oblige the Mexican invasion.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by BluByWho

Originally posted by jbondo

Who really owns property anyway? People scrimp and save and struggle to pay off a house but there will always be "property taxes" to ensure that they never, EVER stop paying!

Property taxes pay for schools, they don't just charge the tax for the heck of it.

I'm aware of that but what about people that don't have kids?

Also, aren't state lotteries supposed to pay for education? Some areas have property taxes that are absolutely outrageous.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I hear Neil boortz here in Atlanta talk about this a lot.

Know your rights. Know that you can challenge publicly anything the government wants to do with YOUR land.

I would then call every single news agency, radio station, and publication and have them meet at city hall steps where I can ruin any case the city would have for taking someone's land.

The more people know about it, the more people can take action.

The #1 reason I love this site so much!

TE

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   

jbondo, are you suggesting that because you don't have kids the education system is not your responsibility as a citizen? Do you not care about the youth of our society, the future leaders of this country.

Also, aren't state lotteries supposed to pay for education?

Not all states have lotteries you know. In that state, there is no lottery, that is the people's choice.

Some areas have property taxes that are absolutely outrageous.

Yes, I agree. I also don't think the taxes are being used like they should be.

[edit on 2/20/2007 by dirty_underground]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Also, aren't state lotteries supposed to pay for education? Some areas have property taxes that are absolutely outrageous.

My property taxes are $330/mo on a $170,000 condo. Like you said absolutely outrageous!

They also pay for:

-- Public Safety: Fire and Police
-- Public Works
-- City Improvements
-- Community Development
-- Finance and Admin

I'm sure there are more but those are an example of some things.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
You know what they should do?

Cover the legal costs of her buying a new house.
They should give her the "market value" of the house, which can be worked out by the average price given by 5 estate agents.

Thus there's no issue.

The real issue here is "does anyone own land"? The Government of the United State's will not existed forever nor did it forever. But the land was there. The land will outlast us all, so who has the right to claim it as their own?

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I myself look at it as more:

I was educated. I am now paying for that.
My parents were educated. When they worked, they paid for their education.

So on and so fourth. :-)

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
You know the city wants your land for a while before things start. Possibly (we don't know) the woman re financed recently and has a bunch of money in the bank and now expects the city to pay her off. New e way going thru here and a bunch of people paid big money for property they thought was going to be needed only to find out they joggged over a mile to avoid wetlands. The people gambled and lost.

mikell

Does it really matter if the money is in the form of equity, or the proceeds from a second mortgage that she has stashed away? FMV is FMV, and that's where the state is screwing her.

The argument that she over-mortgaged doesn't wash, either. The bank won't loan you $200,000 on a house worth $100,000. They use appraisers more than anyone; they are aware of the FMV of the property.

So if she owes $68,000, then the bank(s) obviously thought the property was worth $68,000. She should be compensated accordingly.

Originally posted by BluByWho
Property taxes pay for schools, they don't just charge the tax for the heck of it.

Just remember, all of us benefit from the results of a well-educated populace, whether or not we have children ourselves.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
voluntary???

Slightly off property tax but every one should know this

voluntary loophole

top topics

<< 1   >>

join