It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Forced Out of Her Home by the City

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Woman Forced Out of Her Home by the City

Source Link: www.knwa.com

A Springdale woman may soon be without a home because the city needs her land to widen Harber Avenue. Officials offered Guadalupe Morales $61,380 for her home, but the mortgage on the house is $69,405. Which means after she sells her house she`ll still owe $8,025.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
These stories make me soooo angry. Just because they need a street bigger they are going to force this lady out of her home and not even give her enough money to pay it off! This is a prime example of Land Nazis at Work! I'm just infuriated by this. And to think this could happen to anyone of us and there is nothing we can do about it!

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Eminent Domain Mutha F*****

Another way of the government saying, "It's yours because we let you have it. It's ours when we say we want it."

It sucks, but it's old news. It definitely shows us that the govt isn't out to help us.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Taking land to widen a road is an appropriate use of eminent domain IMO, but it seems like they're not paying her enough, unless the property values have fallen or she really overleverged the property or something.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
She needs the mortgage balance plus 10% as compensation for the house. Only the government can justify an $8000 loss as "just compensation".

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Another article by CBS about a couple, in Lakewood Ohio, who were trying to be forced out of their home by Eminent Domain to build larger, more expensive condos. Also included in this article are several other stories, one which features stories like the one below.

But in New York City, tenants and owners have been forced off their land so The New York Times can begin building its new headquarters.

Is this an appropriate use of Eminent Domain?

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuietRenegade
She needs the mortgage balance plus 10% as compensation for the house. Only the government can justify an $8000 loss as "just compensation".

You can't make such a broad statement. What if it was a mansion that cost her $10 million and she only had $68,000 left on the mortgage? Would $74,800 be fair compensation then?

The fair market value of the house must be determined. If she can show a court that the property would sell for higher than what the state is offering on the open market, she'll get the price adjusted accordingly.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Is this an appropriate use of Eminent Domain?

I don't feel using eminent domain to take property for other commercial uses is right, nor what was meant by the Constitution. But taking it for a road is exactly what it is for.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I agree with djohnsto77 here. The proper use of Eminent Domain is for the good of the public, not for private economic development.

However, the woman should not have to walk away still owing on the property. The city should realize this, and make sure it doesn't happen. I would also be in favor of giving her at least 10% above the mortgage payoff price, since startup costs for housing can be very expensive.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Land Nazis at Work! I'm just infuriated by this. And to think this could happen to anyone of us and there is nothing we can do about it

Really????

I am with you!!

No one owns land except the government.......

you can "lease" if you want

POWER TO THE PEOPLE

It sounds retro but.............

Humans are Gods/Aliens/Darwins/

FAILURE

All we can do is try to be good to each other and prove me wrong.

PAY IT FORWARD

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   

However, the woman should not have to walk away still owing on the property. The city should realize this, and make sure it doesn't happen. I would also be in favor of giving her at least 10% above the mortgage payoff price, since startup costs for housing can be very expensive.

jsobecky, that is a smart idea, and I feel would atleast serve the situation more justly.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Yeah, she should be happy she got anything at all. They could have taken it completely without even making an offer.

Totally BS though. Again, it's the govt's way of saying

"Everything is ours. You have nothing if we say you have nothing."

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
You know the city wants your land for a while before things start. Possibly (we don't know) the woman re financed recently and has a bunch of money in the bank and now expects the city to pay her off. New e way going thru here and a bunch of people paid big money for property they thought was going to be needed only to find out they joggged over a mile to avoid wetlands. The people gambled and lost.

mikell

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Fair market value is not a valid statement considering the circumstances.

When you force someone out of their house you should be required to pay a substantial gratuity above and beyond the fair value for the privilege.

You can bet your "A" that if it was the other way around it would still favor the city, municipality, gov, etc...

Who really owns property anyway? People scrimp and save and struggle to pay off a house but there will always be "property taxes" to ensure that they never, EVER stop paying!

The little guy always gets stomped on.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo

Who really owns property anyway? People scrimp and save and struggle to pay off a house but there will always be "property taxes" to ensure that they never, EVER stop paying!

Property taxes pay for schools, they don't just charge the tax for the heck of it.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Is this a second, third or fourth mortgage? This is happening right now in Kissimmee in Florida where my inlaws live. They are widening in the road and they are compensating everyone for the loss of land. She also has 2 acres of land so I think there is more to the stroy than is stated. Maybe she held out for more, and then they countered. This can also happen when someone tries to hold out to long, and in the end they get squat.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Here are some pictures I took of a local resident who had this very thing happen to him. He is now making sure his voice is heard in the matter.

I have more but I'm having serious issues with the uploading store not giving me my purchased space........point Nazi's at work.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
So, this woman is basically going to be homeless and owe money for the privilege. Gotta love democracy.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I wonder what the families of some city consul that pulls this on someone who won't take it are going to think when their relatives that make these decisions end up dead?

It is bound to happen one of these days. Some guy is going to go on the nut and mow down an entire city administration because they screwed him out of his land. They will rue the day they screwed with him and it will be a tragedy that could have been avoided.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I wonder what will happen when they start building that super highway through mexico, usa and canada. what will happen to the homes the road has to go through, will they be given there market value etc...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join