It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim Cab Driver Charged for Running Over His Passengers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Muslim Cab Driver Charged for Running Over His Passengers

Source Link: www.foxnews.com

Ibrahim Ahmed, 37, a driver for United Cab, picked up two men near the Vanderbilt campus early Sunday morning, Capt. Mike Alexander of the Nashville Police Department said, referring to the incident report.

The two men, reportedly college students from Ohio who were visiting Nashville, were on their way back to the campus.

A conversation about religion ensued between the driver and his two fares. The local FOX affiliate in Nashville confirmed from a friend and fellow co-worker that Ahmed is a Sunni Muslim from Somalia.
At some point, according to the police, the two men exited the cab, and the cabbie also got out. They paid him his fare, and then they exchanged words.

According to the incident report, Ahmed then returned to his cab as the students fled on foot. Ahmed then allegedly drove across a parking lot, jumped a curb and struck the two men.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
While it's Fox and I'm sure this isn't the full story, i.e. "they exchanged words," this man should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I am sure the college kids were tossing ethnic slurs around, I mean it is Nashville (sorry to generalize) with a huge statue on the interstate of Nathan Forest. That being set aside, anyone who tries to defend this mans "constitutional rights" is an idiot, he deliberately ran two people over, he is going to jail and should.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I must be missing the part where his being Muslim needs to be mentioned.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
There is no story with out that.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

It obviously is relevant to the story since it appears that this was motivated by a religious quarrel.

Even if the people in the cab were horribly rude and offensive, it still doesn't justify trying to run them over. Lock him up and throw away the key!

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I live in Nashville, and I have not seen any buzz about this yet in local news or papers. Will prolly see something tomorrow...

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

It obviously is relevant to the story since it appears that this was motivated by a religious quarrel.

Even if the people in the cab were horribly rude and offensive, it still doesn't justify trying to run them over. Lock him up and throw away the key!

Hmm, but a headline that screams "MUSLIM!!! BAD MAN!!" is a bit OTT. The article could mention he was a Muslim, but there is no need to highlight the fact in the headline. Also, why does it not mention what religion the other two men were, or did I miss that part?

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 03:29 AM
link   
slighly OT : but can the headline be reworded ?

when i read " charged for running over " i leapt to the assumption that he had ` left the meter running ` and wanted paying for the time spent commiting the crime

the story link says " charged with running over "

a small difference - but an important distinction

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Hahaha he'd left the meter running while he was commiting the crime and still wanted his fare, that would be brilliant!

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I read other news articles about this incident. What's funny is that Fox mentions that the man is a Muslim, and yet the other articles specifically state that the police do not now what the man's religion is. I wonder how Fox came up with their info. I hope it was investigative journalism, and not something as mis-informational as summarizing the man's religion by his name, cause we know Fox would never do that.

Other articles:

Although Ahmed’s religion was not known, Metro police spokeswoman Kris Mumford said one of the students is Catholic and the other is Lutheran. She said she did not know which was which.

source: Tennessean.com

[edit on 20-2-2007 by DJMessiah]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   
It's about the way that Fox news delivers the story. As far as I know, the college students could be Muslim as well, according to the original article. However, because it wasn't specifically mentioned that they were Muslim, we must assume that they were not.

Another example of Fox's bias in regards to religion

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   
It's just like that silly Pig Farmer story which turned out to be false.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
It's just like that silly Pig Farmer story which turned out to be false.

Oh yeah, don't believe your lying eyes when you see the QuickTime video...

And with a name like Ibrahim Ahmed, I'm sure he's a Buddhist.

Luckly in this case he's in jail under attempted murder charges, so the truth WILL come out.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
And with a name like Ibrahim Ahmed, I'm sure he's a Buddhist.

He could be Jewish, or Christian. And yes, he could be Buddhist too. You should learn not to judge people by their names, it tends to show a lot of ignorance.

apc

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   
So they didn't just make up Muslim, they made up Sunni Muslim from Somolia? I'm guessing wherever they got that he was Somolian, they got that he was Muslim...

I think the distinction is valid as this event can be compared to all the other incidents recently regarding Muslim cabbies.

>
Somolia? Somalia?

[edit on 20-2-2007 by apc]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
In my opinion, this guy's religion is completely irrelevant. However, his religion also seems to be the least of our worries:

Ahmed was accused in November 2006 of leading police on a chase down Broadway in downtown Nashville while in his taxi. During the chase, which ended on Interstate 65 north over the Cumberland River, Ahmed hit speeds of 100 mph before striking another vehicle, according to an affidavit.

He also was charged in June 2006 with driving on a suspended license and failing to stop his taxi for police, after officers said they saw Ahmed run a flashing red light on Demonbreun Street.

According to an affidavit, Ahmed had to be pulled out of the taxi after he refused to get out of the vehicle.

Source

Bringing his religion into it just muddies the issue that this guy is a real traffic problem and shouldn't be allowed to drive at all, much less get paid for hauling passengers.

[edit on 20-2-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Agreed BH. This type of story is incredibly biased, and had no need to bring religion into it. As far as anyone knows, the argument could have been over politics, sports, or TV, and the results would have been the same.

Get him off the road, but don't bring his religion into the mix. It does more harm than good.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   
If your interested in something other than speculation, you could contact the owner (Ahmed Abukar) of Unite d Cab Co. in and ask him some questions about his employee. Such as why he allowed him to drive a cab with a suspended license, and why he wasn't fired after running from the police and hitting another car with the cab at 100 mph in Nov. 2006.

That would be interesting, eh?

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
A sunni muslim from Somalia...and why are the Sunni and Somalia info important to us??

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso

If your interested in something other than speculation, you could contact the owner (Ahmed Abukar) of Unite d Cab Co.

He had only worked there 2-3 days. Check my source.

<<   2  3 >>

join