It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush links war on terror to U.S. independence war

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
How is there any connection whatsoever? Theres none at all.

This president ticks me off more and more everyday.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
And let's not forget opium, oil pipeline and geopolitical power and of course all the money you make from everything, arms, rebuilding, ect...

True that...

"We must spread democracy to the corners of the world, so every human being has a choice, opportunity, and the freedom to live their lives as they see fit."

Six months later...

"Well, we've pretty much got that all cleaned up... I know there are some left in the mountains, but if we take care of them right now then we won't have a reason to stay..."

The deceivers in office say we're not supporting our troops when we are in opposition to the war. They say you can be in opposition to the war and still support our troops, yet i've never heard a single office-holder admit when it actually happens. Every time you bring up opposition, on the other hand, they seem to call you out for not supporting the troops. The troops i support. It's too bad for the troops that America has had ENOUGH deceit, ranging from Bush to previous presidents, something that saw life in the 60's and might be up for a different kind of opposition this time.

I don't know if that last paragraph made sense or not. Maybe reading it backwards will help. Time this opposition! heh. sorry.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
its just political fluff talk...

he needs to say it in public so he can continue selling our great nations soverignty down the creek for two more years...

"...Instead of keeping criminals, and terrorists out of the U.S., lets leave the borders open and treat everyone in the U.S. like criminals, and terrorists."

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Ha...

I have a better comparison.

George W. vs. King George III.

www.ooblick.com...

The founding fathers are turning over in their graves.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
This is what happens when we have leaders unaware and or ignorant of their own history, and underlying reasons for historical events.

This administration has single handedly thrown away world support after 9-11, indebted every american with crushing load of National Mortgage, created a military/industrial complex not seen since the height of the cold war, eliminated rights and freedoms in the name of security, and ignores factual and reasonable approaches in favor of knew jerk reactions.

And the band plays on.......

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Not surprising for somebody who had poor results in his bachelor in History at Yale...

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman2
Sword -

What other companies in the world do the type of work K & B and Haliburton do?

Can you name any?
How about any of the 'jobs' they've had?

'Tis a lame excuse to blame K & B and Haliburton..............

I don't blame Halliburton or Blackwater exclusively. But I do blame the warhawks in Washington for putting up a geopolitical framework that led to the current situation. And for feeding the people a load of bullcrap to garner acceptance for a war that can't be reasonably justified by any means. And then, on top of all, comparing this war to the war of independence. Don't you think this is a little respectless towards General Washington?

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 04:11 AM
link   
How hypocritical.

THe only way this compares to the US war of independence is that iraqies are the ones now fighting for their independence from america.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Here is the context and quote for Bush's statement, while at Mt Vernon.

"Bush's remarks consisted mainly of a reflection on Washington's life and impact on the United States, with brief allusions to today's war.

"America's path to freedom was long, and it was hard," Bush said. "And the outcome was really never certain. . . . In the end, General Washington understood that the Revolutionary War was a test of wills, and his will was unbreakable."

In the only direct analogy to Iraq, the president said, "Today, we're fighting a new war to defend our liberty and our people and our way of life. And as we work to advance the cause of freedom around the world, we remember that the father of our country believed that the freedoms we secured in our revolution were not meant for Americans alone. He once wrote, 'My best wishes are irresistibly excited whensoever in any country I see an oppressed nation unfurl the banners of freedom.' "

There are some definite parallels here, so I don't think he was out of line for having made the remark.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Sword -

There were some banners unfurled alright, but some people (me included) doubt that those were the banners of freedom. Unless Halliburton, Blackwater Security and freedom coincidentally share the same banner, that is.

Above are your words..............what other companies can do what they do? How long have K & B/Haliburton been around?

The President is looking at Iraq as Iraqis war of indepedance and comparing it the the USA's war of independance.

If the history books haven't changed........the colonists fought agaist the British Monarchy (dicatorship)........similar to how the Iraqi people now have the opportnutiy of having a free, democratic society verus the dictatorship they had for 30+ years........

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swordbeast
IMHO this is a pretty weak try to invoke patriotism and blow sand into the eyes of the people.

I believe you hit the nail on the head with this!

The American people as a rule are very patriotic, and when something is made patriotic by the president then anyone going against it will be seen as un-patriotic, something that Americans are terrified of being. To be un-patriotic is a huge stigma to live with.

This is a cheap shot by Bush using American values against the American people.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
The irony is that most of Bush's ancestors were English and lived in Essex before emigrating

And where to? Massachusetts and eventually Connecticut, some of the main areas in the U.S with regards to English settlers.

[edit on 20-2-2007 by Peyres]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Sword -

There were some banners unfurled alright, but some people (me included) doubt that those were the banners of

freedom. Unless Halliburton, Blackwater Security and freedom coincidentally share the same banner, that is.

Above are your words..............what other companies can do what they do? How long have K & B/Haliburton been around?

Sorry for not addressing your Questions earlier. Here is what I found:
Blackwater:
Founded in 1997, they received increasingly lucrative contracts during the years of the Iraqi occupation.

Halliburton / Kellogg Brown and Root:
Halliburton was founded in 1919, with the KBR section following in 1998.

A (probably incomplete) list of Companies who also engage in the Merc/Security business with HQs in the USA (courtesy of Wiki):

* 3D Global Solutions (Website)[19]
* Alpha Point Security (Website) Armed Security, UAV-Intelligence (ISR) and Consulting... defense against piracy, terrorists and rebels.
* AQMI Strategy Corp
* Blackwater USA
* Braddock Dunn & McDonald (BDM) long-established defense contractor purchased in mid-1990s by TRW and onsold to Northrop Grumman in December 2002
* C3 Defense, Inc. (Website)
* CACI - California Analysis Center, Incorporated
* Critical Intervention Services paramilitary Security Agency based out of Clearwater, Fl.
* Berodt Dynamics, Defence contractor from Iowa
* Defion Internacional, (Website)
* DynCorp, (Website)
* Eastern Cross
* Elite Security Corps
* Kellogg Brown and Root - Division of Halliburton
* Landmine Sourcing - Global PMC Recruiters (Website)
* Military Professional Resources Inc. (MPRI) (Website)
* Northbridge Services Group
* Overwatch Protection Solutions International, (Website)
* Paratus World Wide Protection, (Website)
* Ronin Worldwide Executive Protection, LLC, (Website)
* SCG International Risk (Website)
* SkyLink USA, affiliated with SkyLink Aviation [20]
* SOS Temps, Inc founded by former Navy Seal Richard Marcinko.
* Spartan Consulting Group (Website)3
* Tactical Response Services paramilitary Security Agency based out of Tampa, Fl.
* Titan Corporation
* Top Cat Marine Security (Website)
* Triple Canopy, Inc. (Website)
* Vinnell Corporation
* VIP Investigations & Protective Services Inc. (Website)
* EUBSA BV Inc. STOP units - Special Tactics and OPerations (Website)

I guess it's pretty clear that Halliburton/KBR was a favorite candidate for several very lucrative contracts and deals due to their bonds to Cheney and the Bushs.
What the exact role of Blackwater is, I don't know but I assume they have some links to politics as well for getting those contracts.

Sources:
Blackwater USA
Wiki entry about PMCs
Wiki entry about Blackwater
Halliburton
Wiki entry about Halliburton
Wiki entry about KBR

To be continued...

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
... Continued

Originally posted by ferretman2The President is looking at Iraq as Iraqis war of indepedance and comparing it the the USA's war of independance.

If the history books haven't changed........the colonists fought agaist the British Monarchy (dicatorship)........similar to how the Iraqi people now have the opportnutiy of having a free, democratic society verus the dictatorship they had for 30+ years........

The President is looking at Iraq as Iraqis war of indepedance and comparing it the the USA's war of independance. If the history books haven't changed...the colonists fought agaist the British Monarchy (dicatorship)....similar to how the Iraqi people now have the opportnutiy of having a free, democratic society verus the dictatorship they had for 30+ years...

And exactly here lies the core issue: The colonists freed themselves without much outside help respectively "meddling".
But Iraq was/is practically "forced" into some sort of liberation by occupation. Sure, Saddam was kicked out and hanged, but despite all the rebuilding efforts, overall live in Iraq hasn't improved much and actually is less safe for the average citizen than at Saddam's time.
Thats why I don't think that this comparison is a very valid one.

Edit: Typo

[edit on 20-2-2007 by Swordbeast]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Well............and I hate to admitt it............the French helped us gain our independance.....I don't know if the coloinists would of been able to survive if not for the French.

Also time was different back then...........it took literally weeks, if not longer, of dangerous travel by boat to get to the US.

The dynamics have changed............but the overall message of the US is that the people of the world should live in freedom and not be oppressed.

Don't you enjoy freedom? Don't you feel that everyone in the world should be able to live free?

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   

The dynamics have changed............but the overall message of the US is that the people of the world should live in freedom and not be oppressed.

Don't you enjoy freedom? Don't you feel that everyone in the world should be able to live free?

Well Sir, I very much agree that people should be free from oppression and be able to choose their destiny themselves. And I DO enjoy my freedom very much as well.
I certainly don't want to belittle the US troops and their efforts, but I seriously doubt that the average Iraqi guy in Bagdad feels more free than before 2003. It was probably a lot less dangerous to leave the house to go shopping at the market than it is today.

Thus, I still think Bushs comparison is suboptimum.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Well............and I hate to admitt it............the French helped us gain our independance.....I don't know if the coloinists would of been able to survive if not for the French.

Yeah, because it was a proxy war against UK. But if the kings of France would have knew what happenned to them because of the american revolution... they would have not supported you, because the american revolution created the french revolution.

So I think we are at the same point now that they were back then... if the american people or the british people kick out the NWO people and hang them, this will spread in the western world.

[edit on 20-2-2007 by Vitchilo]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Here's the problem: we were fighting for our freedom from Britain, basically a two-party war with allies on both sides. The war was over TAXATION and rights within government.

The current conflict is a war over IDEOLOGY. And it's America fighting Iraqis fighting themselves.

The ONLY respectable thing for Bush to do, in my opinion, is to address the nation and admit: "Based upon information I received concerning WMDs, I made the decision to invade Iraq. I now know that that information was faulty, but the decisions made were mine, and, being the Decider, I take full responsibility for the quagmire in Iraq. We need to bring our soldiers home. However, we must also recognize that America destabilized that region, and it's our responsibility to help re-establish order, so that chaos does not encompass the region."

At LEAST if he did this, I'd respect him more, and be able to stomach the war.

I wanted to clarify that this would be what he'd need to say to respectfully maintain a non-withdrawal strategy imo. I didn't want people thinking I thought that a speech such as that would make it all OK.

[edit on 20-2-2007 by BlaznRob]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Well it seems that it does bring the British issue after all . . .

Bush speech may be related to the news now all over the media that our friends in the British government is going to pull troops out of Iraq . . .

Leaving US and Bush all by himself in Iraq. . .

They are feeling the political pull for the coming British elections.

Its all about politics.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Reality has hit the wall.

This invasion was over petro dollars, nothing more. Saddam wanted to move away from USD based Petro dollars and move to Euro Based petroluem trading platforms...would have roiled US stock markets...so we took him out.

Democracy...gimme a break. they dont have water, electricity, food, any health care to speak of, and we are parroting patriotic themes that mean absolutely NOTHING to a man trying to feed his children.

Why dont any reporters call the President on these fluffy rants of his that have no content...freedom, patriotism, stay the course...what is the course? If the course cannot be defined, how do you know we are on it?

We have an individual in the whitre house that cannot put two sentences together...and a voting public unable to reason for themslves

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join