It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush links war on terror to U.S. independence war

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Read more right here.

Couldn't that be considered as some kind of, I don't know, national blasphemy or something? I mean, the independence war was to free the new world from the influence of the british empire. How can this be compared to what is going on right now?

IMHO this is a pretty weak try to invoke patriotism and blow sand into the eyes of the people.
Am I way off with this perspective? What do you guys think?

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I dont know, I think comparing a war to preven an islamic caliphate COULD draw some parallels but I really dont see it. I mean, there is no established islamic caliphate yet and hopefully there never will be.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I'm not really seeing anything here that I'd consider a "national blasphemy." There are definitely some parallels that can be drawn, and the analogy given from General Washington about nations free from oppression is certainly a valid one.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
probably, getting rid of the old order, and bringing in the new world order.

but the british are always around in both.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
My president has once again let the terrorists win.

By virtually admitting that the terrorists are oppressing us and do in fact exert influence and power over us, Bush has handed a major psychological victory to the terrorists.

I ask, who is doing more harm to our country right now?

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo

By virtually admitting that the terrorists are oppressing us and do in fact exert influence and power over us, Bush has handed a major psychological victory to the terrorists.

I think it starts with a G and a B.

But let's not kid ourselves. Every person who is making money on the War on Terror, is guilty of making the Islamic Radicals into "Tribal RockStars"

And this is why I say until we cap everything off War Profiteering, we will continue to go down the road of destruction and corruption. And yes, we will not be supporting our troops if we are pimping them out to make Fear moneywhile creating a Islamic Martyr factory by the dozens.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The terrorists are oppressing us? Do you honestly believe that?

During the Revolutionary War, the Colonists resorted to what were then considered terror tactics (sniping from behind trees, hit and run) in order to have a chance against the superior might of the British Army. The Colonies were oppressed by Great Britain, and won their independence, or so the story goes.

I think you have things backwards, just like GWB.

Yes, we consider the social system of most ME systems repressive by our standards, but who are we to talk? As self appointed Big Brother to the world, the US is the one doing the oppressing these days, imo.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by GT100FV
I'm not really seeing anything here that I'd consider a "national blasphemy."

Well, I guess I have missed the accurate words to describe the circumstances, but if I were American, I might have mixed feelings about this comparison.

Originally posted by GT100FV
There are definitely some parallels that can be drawn, and the analogy given from General Washington about nations free from oppression is certainly a valid one.

I agree somewhat, but I don't think that General Washington had a situatin like the one currently in Irak in mind:

"He once wrote, My best wishes are irresistibly excited whensoever in any country I see an oppressed nation unfurl the banners of freedom, Bush said.

There were some banners unfurled alright, but some people (me included) doubt that those were the banners of freedom. Unless Halliburton, Blackwater Security and freedom coincidentally share the same banner, that is.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Sword -

What other companies in the world do the type of work K & B and Haliburton do?

Can you name any?
How about any of the 'jobs' they've had?

'Tis a lame excuse to blame K & B and Haliburton..............

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman2
Sword -

What other companies in the world do the type of work K & B and Haliburton do?

Can you name any?
How about any of the 'jobs' they've had?

'Tis a lame excuse to blame K & B and Haliburton..............

Ferretman2, you've uncovered another K&B/Halliburton conspiracy. They've conspired to keep other companies out of their line of work, so they can monopolize that industry. That way they're guaranteed to get these jobs. How insidious.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo

What do you think you and others like you are doing right now (snip)! You dont think making defeatist comments, supporting insurgant propaganda, and constantly running your country and your president into the ground isn't accomplishing the very same thing?!

Duh! I guess the lefties figured out what they are doing isnt patriotic, its idiotic.
Of course it had to come out of bush's mouth for them to hear it, they are deaf to their own words.

And for the record, sweet has two Es...

[edit on 19-2-2007 by XphilesPhan]

Please do not attack other members. Mod Note: WOT Posting Conduct – Please Review Link.

[edit on 19-2-2007 by mrwupy]

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
The terrorists are oppressing us? Do you honestly believe that?

During the Revolutionary War, the Colonists resorted to what were then considered terror tactics (sniping from behind trees, hit and run) in order to have a chance against the superior might of the British Army. The Colonies were oppressed by Great Britain, and won their independence, or so the story goes.

I think you have things backwards, just like GWB.

Yes, we consider the social system of most ME systems repressive by our standards, but who are we to talk? As self appointed Big Brother to the world, the US is the one doing the oppressing these days, imo.

Bang.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I'm sure the Bush Administration would much rather the war on terror had more in common with The Revolutionary War than it does with the Vietnam War. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

We went into Afghanistan because the Taliban was not interested in giving up the masterminds of The 9/11 attacks. We went into Afghanistan in an effort to throw down some judgement on those who murdered 3,000 of our friends and neighbors. THAT should be the war Bush is talking about. Unfortunately, his war on terror really only means Iraq. And why did we decide to bump Iraq to the top of the list of countries worth losing american lives over? That's the right question.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
well,
thats one way of loosing British support

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Unlike most Americans, Bush doesn't seem to want independence from the people trashing his Southern border..or the corporate elite trashing democracy and freedom. He appears to operate independently of those concerns so in effect, he's already won.

[edit on 19-2-2007 by Ross Cross]

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I am not sure how fighting in an Iraq War is the same as the revolutionary war. I don't see how the war in Iraq is defending our freedoms or the so called "war on terror" is either. I think George W. just wants to be compared with Washington as far as I can tell there are no comparisons.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
well,
thats one way of loosing British support

I agree, I wonder what the British has done lately that Bush is getting back at them

No enough support?

I can only find a link between Bush less than perfect historical facts to perhaps finding a way to the more patriotic side of the nation that still believe that wars are the only way to freedom, specially if is a war like the one Bush himself created.

The American people has been questioning the war on terror so he is trying to find a way to keep the nations support.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I agree, I wonder what the British has done lately that Bush is getting back at them

No enough support?

It is Presidents' Day after all and he was speaking at Washington's grave. I'm sure if he was speaking from Lincoln's grave he'd try to spin the WOT as like the Civil War.

It's just politicking, it means nothing against the British.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   

We went into Afghanistan because the Taliban was not interested in giving up the masterminds of The 9/11 attacks. We went into Afghanistan in an effort to throw down some judgement on those who murdered 3,000 of our friends and neighbors. THAT should be the war Bush is talking about.

And let's not forget opium, oil pipeline and geopolitical power and of course all the money you make from everything, arms, rebuilding, ect... It's NOT about 9/11.

[edit on 19-2-2007 by Vitchilo]

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Its a lame attempt at trying to rally people into supporting this war.
I mean, you all support the revolution and war for independance, so if you supported them, your bound to support a war the president says is similar?

well, by his logic, your dumb enough to fall for it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join