It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Churches back plan to unite under Pope

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Looks like moves are afoot to unite the catholic and anglian cheurches under the pope. Is this the start of seeing a one world religion all under the Pope.

There are about 78 million Anglicans, compared with a billion Roman Catholics, worldwide. In England and Wales, the Catholic Church is set to overtake Anglicanism as the predominant Christian denomination for the first time since the Reformation, thanks to immigration from Catholic countries.

this is probably due to immigration. We all know that the roman catholic church has changed drastically over the years, and Pope john paul 2nd was responsible for alot of that.

Do you think this is a good think.

[edit on 2/19/2007 by andy1033]

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Looks like moves are afoot to unite the catholic and anglian cheurches under the pope. Is this the start of seeing a one world religion all under the Pope.

There are about 78 million Anglicans, compared with a billion Roman Catholics, worldwide. In England and Wales, the Catholic Church is set to overtake Anglicanism as the predominant Christian denomination for the first time since the Reformation, thanks to immigration from Catholic countries.

Do you think this is a good think.

If Catholicism is taking over England, then Ireland should unite...no more fears of the Catholic Ireland forcing their views on the North...it appears England will do so from this article.

2nd thing...no I dont think the world needs a religion...not organized.
Each person needs to figure out for themselves whats up, not be placed in the cookie cutter...Im not from a mass production facility line.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Is this the start of seeing a one world religion all under the Pope.

No. It's a circling of wagons for the conservatives in both the Catholic and Anglican Churches. There will be no Catholic 'one world religion' under the pope. Most Catholics don't even listen to what comes out of Rome anymore let alone anyone else.

The 'one world religion' is going to be secular humanism, not Catholicism.

the roman catholic church has changed drastically over the years, and john 2nd, was responsible for alot of that..

You mean John the 23rd?
en.wikipedia.org...

I know .. don't remind me.

edited to add link about John 23rd

[edit on 2/19/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
There has been rumours of this for a while now. It will almost certainly get the NWO/Anti-Christ followers all excited.

Whilst I am for Christianity uniting. This will thrown fresh doubts in my mind towards my scepticism of NWO/Anti-Christ theories.

[edit on 19-2-2007 by Peyres]

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Very unlikely, too much difference in views on ordaining women and homosexuals.
More likely there will be further splits.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
The 'one world religion' is going to be secular humanism, not Catholicism.

how can a populist philosophy become a truely cohesive RELIGION

en.wikipedia.org...

* Human beings, through their ability to empathise, are capable of determining ethical grounds.
* Human beings, through logic and reason, are capable of deriving normative principles of behaviour.
* This may lead to a behaviour morally preferable to that propagated or condoned based on religious texts.

en.wikipedia.org...

* Need to test beliefs - A conviction that dogmas, ideologies and traditions, whether religious, political or social, must be weighed and tested by each individual and not simply accepted on faith.
* Reason, evidence, scientific method - Commitment to the use of critical reason, factual evidence, and scientific methods of inquiry, rather than faith and mysticism, in seeking solutions to human problems and answers to important human questions.
* Fulfillment, growth, creativity - A primary concern with fulfillment, growth, and creativity for both the individual and humankind in general.
* Search for truth - A constant search for objective truth, with the understanding that new knowledge and experience constantly alter our imperfect perception of it.
* This life - A concern for this life and a commitment to making it meaningful through better understanding of ourselves, our history, our intellectual and artistic achievements, and the outlooks of those who differ from us.
* Ethics - A search for viable individual, social and political principles of ethical conduct, judging them on their ability to enhance human well-being and individual responsibility.
* Building a better world - A conviction that with reason, an open exchange of ideas, good will, and tolerance, progress can be made in building a better world for ourselves and our children.

yeah, a philosophy that seeks to challenge dogma is totally a religion

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
There's alot of things to admire in the CofE, compared Catholicism.
Alot less hangups over technicalities. Their attitude towards Priests/Vicars is better... the idea that Priests don't have any special Powers. They are just normal people who help you out.

CofE nicely removes alot of the Superstitious guff from Christianity.

So personally, if any religion is going to be merged into an other, I'd like to see the Catholics becoming more CofE, than the other way round.

The simple fact that the CofE is willing to alter itself is a sign of it's flexibility.
I doubt the Catholics would be so flexible.

Why would the CofE parishoners even want to be part of Catholicism? It's like the Taiwanese wanting to be part of Communist China.

top topics

join