It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Atheists Atheists?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Atheists show an under-appreciation for what they have. They show an over-appreciation for what others have. The cause of atheism is greed.

Once atheists think of and support the lowest of the low (the most exalted in Spiritual terms), their conversion process to God will begin.

I speak from personal experience.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
Atheists show an under-appreciation for what they have. They show an over-appreciation for what others have. The cause of atheism is greed.

can you back this statement up? i really appreciate everything i have and there is really one .. well, my romantic life isn't the root of my atheism, so that really has no relevance here. i'm not greedy at all.

Once atheists think of and support the lowest of the low (the most exalted in Spiritual terms), their conversion process to God will begin.

are you saying that i don't have extensive volunteer work under my belt? i've worked with the lowest i can think of, people that the rest of the world has given up on.

well, i don't see your personal experience as justification for calling me greedy and uncharitable.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

can you back this statement up? i really appreciate everything i have and there is really one .. well, my romantic life isn't the root of my atheism, so that really has no relevance here. i'm not greedy at all.

are you saying that i don't have extensive volunteer work under my belt? i've worked with the lowest i can think of, people that the rest of the world has given up on.

well, i don't see your personal experience as justification for calling me greedy and uncharitable.

madnessinmysoul, do you have a higher power? If so, do you believe he/she desires worship some of the time or all of the time? If not, do you believe a human can create a Universe as perfect and grand as ours?

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 01:09 AM
link   

madnessinmysoul, do you have a higher power? If so, do you believe he/she desires worship some of the time or all of the time?

If he did, he wouldn't be an atheist...

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 05:43 AM
link   

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

- Stephen F Roberts

What would the world be like if it were 0% theistic and 100% atheistic, or 50% theistic and 50% atheistic, or 100% theistic and 0% atheistic?

If it were 0% theistic, I believe the world would be gone.

If it were 50% theistic, I believe the world would be a partial struggle for survival.

If it were 100% theistic, I believe the world would be Heaven-like.

I see you have a very low opinion of us, atheists.

GreatTech, do you realize how dangerous your beliefs actually are? All major religions claim to have the true word of god. Furthermore these claims are incompatible with each other.

Theist beliefs can actually be very dangerous. The thought that George Bush believes that some god will come down from the sky and kill everyone except 140 000 lucky believers (the Rapture) is a truly scary thought. The thought that suicide bombers believe they will be in the company of 72 virgins for eternity is also quite frightening. You call us atheist immoral? As a matter of fact “Faith” is the epitome of ignorance.

GreatTech, please do yourself a favor and check out this 23 minutes Sam Harris lecture. It should give you a great insight into the Atheist's mind, and the actual problems with religion.

And read a few essays on this site:
nobeliefs.com...

[edit on 9/3/07 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 07:05 AM
link   
That is one of the best vids I have seen concerning religion. I have seen it before but am glad you posted it for others viewing. I would have to say he says what I feel in a way everyone can understand, not to say they will like but at lest understand. I think the most noteworthy thing he said was in reference to how easily some can partition the mind... keep one set of beliefs on drive C keep another set on drive D or even configure the mind in raid pull parts of data from both partitions while not checking what as a whole is on either one. While raid 1 uses redundant drives it is quite possible for one to be corrupt.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   
GreatTech will come back with some bull# excuse that Sam Harris needs more love in his life, maybe by accepting Jesus Christ into his heart, just wait and watch. You can't reason with fundies.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
"I wouldn't want to live in a universe where there wasn't a diamond the size of a refrigerator buried in my back yard"
I just love that line!

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyNut23

I see you have a very low opinion of us, atheists.

GreatTech, do you realize how dangerous your beliefs actually are? All major religions claim to have the true word of god. Furthermore these claims are incompatible with each other.

Theist beliefs can actually be very dangerous. The thought that George Bush believes that some god will come down from the sky and kill everyone except 140 000 lucky believers (the Rapture) is a truly scary thought. The thought that suicide bombers believe they will be in the company of 72 virgins for eternity is also quite frightening. You call us atheist immoral? As a matter of fact “Faith” is the epitome of ignorance.

GreatTech, please do yourself a favor and check out this 23 minutes Sam Harris lecture. It should give you a great insight into the Atheist's mind, and the actual problems with religion.

[edit on 9/3/07 by ConspiracyNut23]

ConspiracyNut23, I do not think lowly of atheists: I consider them Spiritually underdeveloped. I try to treat each human being that I know of equally.

I consider atheism much more dangerous than theism. Many atheists do not see afterlife consequences for their earth actions.

I watched the video. Sam Harris is an intelligent man but misguided in many areas. Where he is especially misguided is his assumption that religion, if it is valid, has to be perfect. Religion, no matter type, time, or location is imperfect and that is why many people try to improve their own religion. All religions can improve. Only God is perfect.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Do atheists believe that life is good or evil? Is your choice caused by atheism?

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Do atheists believe that life is good or evil? Is your choice caused by atheism?

[edit on 9-3-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I believe that life is chaotic. It is both good and evil based on our human perceptions of such, it is up to each of us to determine how much of either we let in.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale

I believe that life is chaotic. It is both good and evil based on our human perceptions of such, it is up to each of us to determine how much of either we let in.

mojo4sale, do you believe that, as an atheist, you are more or less likely to act on what "we let in" compared with a theist? I believe that theists are more adept at seeing order (wisdom) where atheists fail to.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   

mojo4sale, do you believe that, as an atheist, you are more or less likely to act on what "we let in" compared with a theist? I believe that theists are more adept at seeing order (wisdom) where atheists fail to.

I believe that atheists are more likely to use logic and reason when considering how to react to certain events, which would determine what we choose.
I dont speak for all atheists though, thats just my view.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   

I believe that atheists are more likely to use logic and reason when considering how to react to certain events, which would determine what we choose.

mojo4sale, how do you define logic and reason? Many theists are gifted in mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 02:13 AM
link   

mojo4sale, how do you define logic and reason? Many theists are gifted in mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering.

Just as many atheists are spiritual, wise, score well on standardised tests, are in tune with their minds eye. Remember your opening post.

You were generalizing so i thought i would too.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Many atheists do not see afterlife consequences for their earth actions.

I can see that if one is a psychotic multiple murderer, it would be pretty handy to not believe in Hell. (I assure you these are not the reasons, that I personally am an atheists) But then he could always used the “God forgives all” clause, or worse yet he could say God told him to do it.

President George W Bush told Palestinian ministers that God had told him to invade Afghanistan and Iraq - and create a Palestinian State, a new BBC series reveals.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Where he is especially misguided is his assumption that religion, if it is valid, has to be perfect.

I don’t think he is saying religions should be perfect, he is saying that religious claims should be examined just as any other claims are examined.

Tell me, why don’t you believe in Poseidon?

Dionysus also died for your sins, why don’t you believe in him?

I consider them Spiritually underdeveloped.

I admit I am not very spiritual. In fact, I don’t even know what that means.

Mojo4Sale is spiritual, I’m not. As you can see atheists are individual thinkers who care little for the flock mentality.

[edit on 10/3/07 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
well, mel answered this pretty much spot on for me, but why not give more specific.

madnessinmysoul, do you have a higher power?

no

If so, do you believe he/she desires worship some of the time or all of the time?

no, because even if i did, i'd still maintain that NOTHING deserves worship.

If not, do you believe a human can create a Universe as perfect and grand as ours?

our universe may be grand but it ISN'T perfect. just look at all the various diseases in the world. if the universe was perfect for humans, it wouldn't be so damn big and would have not a single life threatening disease.

in theory, yes, i believe a human could create a universe with the proper technology and an astronomically vast amount of energy.

and i agree with that video

life is life
what you do with it is what can be judged.

[edit on 3/10/07 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Human logic and reasoning is infinitesimal compared to the Infinite God who has created Infinite Universes, galaxies, solar systems, stars, planets, planet satellites, cells, atoms, subatomic particles...

You mention that atheists "react" better to certain events. Where is your proof? Who is the action behind the reaction?

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Although im a disgruntled practising Catholic, I believe civilizations including religions (man's doctrines and rules) don't survive. But the individual (you) and spirituality always have and always will in one form or another.

[edit on 12-3-2007 by Selmer2]

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join