It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Atheists Atheists?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by melatonin

Saying that, schizotypy is related to forms of creativity, schizotypic individuals possess a tendency to magical & idiosyncratic beliefs, thus it is possible that schizotypic believers show high creativity. This is usually in the arts though (thus we know artists do show higher levels of manic depression etc).

Just an OT question, did you complete grad school?

[edit on 1-3-2007 by melatonin]

I did not complete graduate school. I dropped out with a 3.6 GPA one quarter shy of graduation to later work in consulting/science. I currently work in medical research (carcinogenesis and atherosclerosis).

Are you suggesing that all theists are mentally ill?

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech

I did not complete graduate school. I dropped out with a 3.6 GPA one quarter shy of graduation to later work in consulting/science. I currently work in medical research (carcinogenesis and atherosclerosis).

Did I say that?

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Did I say that?

melatonin, sorry to misinterpret. Do you believe mental illness strikes theists or atheists more?

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 04:17 AM
link   

To all atheists: do you feel atheism is a mark of intelligence? As a former atheist in graduate school at the University of Chicago, I use to believe so. Since believing in God 11 years ago, I believe that atheism prevents us from being truly creative. How can we be truly creative and not believe in the One that created it all?

I do not mean to be critical of atheists; just sharing my experience.

I dont see atheism as a mark of intelligence although the more intelligent a person is they are more likely to be an atheist.
Do you feel that theists are more intelligent due to their faith???

As for being creative I have to agree with Mel in that faith has nothing to do with creativity.

How can we be truly creative and not believe in the One that created it all?
How can we be truly creative and not believe in beer elves, intersteller teapots,spaghetti monsters??

G

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by VladTheImpaler

Top 3 year reasons why God-believers (such as GreatTech) are deluded, brain washed, duped, misled, confused, mentally ill, fallacious, illogical, false, unsound, stupid, fools, half-witted, nutcases, moronic, imbeciles, and simply completely incorrect.

Actually, I think I only need to post one picture to sum it all up:

VladTheImpaler, you need more love in your life. I will pray for you.

It is futile to pray for me, because even in the unlikely event that your God does exist, I'd hate him more than you could possibly imagine. In fact if your God of the Bible was proven to be true, my rage and fury would prompt me to go on a wild killing spree attempting to destroy all his foolish creations.

So, thanks, but no thank you, do not pray for me to your jealous and pafhetic God.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 07:10 AM
link   

melatonin, sorry to misinterpret. Do you believe mental illness strikes theists or atheists more?

That's cool.

Firstly, going back to the original point, schizotypy is not a mental illness, just a collection of personality traits, probably with a genetic tendency. It is related to schizophrenia by heredity.

Some of literature on mental health and religiosity makes grand claims that religiosity does improve mental health, however, closer examination does suggest it is a tad more complicated. Early meta-analyses showed that 1/3 suggested positive effects, 1/3 negative, 1/3 no relationship (Judd, 1985). So, they have tried to use better methodological approaches in the more recent studies. A more recent meta-analysis (139 studies)showed that only 39% showed any relationship, and that 72% (approx 39) of these showed a positive relationship (Larson et al., 1992).

In the recent literature, there are studies that show attendance to religious services but not spirituality is related to a lower level of incidence of depressive symptoms. Others show positive, negative, or no relationship between anxiety and religiosity. One I read recently shows that older depressive patients with high intrinsic religiosity show a greater rate of remission. In the schizophrenic samples, they do tend to show greater religiosity than non-schizophrenics.

In general, the current weight of the literature does suggest forms of religiosity have a degree of protective factor for mental health. But still, the research is not conclusive as there seems to be some paradoxical findings when it is examined at different levels (e.g. using Allport's definitions of intrinsic vrs extrinsic religiosity, for example extrinsics generally show less benefits than intrinsics), so, it really does depend how you operationalise the defintions of 'religiosity' and 'mental health'.

In sum, the relationship is not strong, but it is present in the majority of current studies (i.e. very recent).

But the big message is that it is not worth taking religion up for these reasons, as this would be an extrinsic form of religiosity and the protective factors are not as obvious

............................................................................................................

Bringing this in to the original OP - I don't believe that forms of religiosity and mental health are related, I assess the evidence and find that the weight of current evidence suggests this to be the case, and tentatively, but not conclusively, accept this until evidence suggests otherwise.

Likewise, I use the same approach - use of scientific method/approaches, evidence, critical analysis - and accept there is no real evidence of a god or gods (or demons, heaven, hell, miracles, beer-elves), and therefore take the position of an atheist.

That is why I am an atheist (or more precisely agnostic-atheist).

[edit on 2-3-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
melatonin, excellent research. I agree with some of the analytic approaches you take to solve problems, but I cannot agree with you regarding Belief: as you know, I am a complete theist, and you have identified yourself as an agnostic-atheist.

You have the potential to be an outstanding scientist but I pray that you do not become a "mad scientist." I use to be a little bit of a "mad scientist" (I do not recommend that lifestyle) until I found Spirituality, Faith, Hope, and Charity.

Blessings.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   

You have the potential to be an outstanding scientist but I pray that you do not become a "mad scientist." I use to be a little bit of a "mad scientist" (I do not recommend that lifestyle) until I found Spirituality, Faith, Hope, and Charity.

Blessings.

This idea that if you do not believe in God that you will become a "mad scientist" is even more bewildering.
Why do you believe that Atheists are unable to be spiritual, have faith, hope and charity.
Being a spiritual person can mean many things, not just believing in a God, I feel a great Spiritual relationship with nature.
I have Faith in humanity that we will get it right, or at least our children will.
I Hope for the best for all of us especially my children.
And as previously posted many Atheists are actively involved in Charitable pursuits.
Please stop denigrating us by judging us by your past.
It may be that we are better able to handle the rigours of this life without your beliefs. That makes us stronger not weaker.

Where does all the extremism rampant in the world today stem from, Religion, not from "mad scientist" atheists.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale

Blessings.

This idea that if you do not believe in God that you will become a "mad scientist" is even more bewildering.
Why do you believe that Atheists are unable to be spiritual, have faith, hope and charity.
Being a spiritual person can mean many things, not just believing in a God, I feel a great Spiritual relationship with nature.
I have Faith in humanity that we will get it right, or at least our children will.
I Hope for the best for all of us especially my children.
And as previously posted many Atheists are actively involved in Charitable pursuits.
Please stop denigrating us by judging us by your past.
It may be that we are better able to handle the rigours of this life without your beliefs. That makes us stronger not weaker.

Where does all the extremism rampant in the world today stem from, Religion, not from "mad scientist" atheists.

mojo4sale, you misread my intentions: I was only trying to compliment melatonin for his good work. I did not mean what you stated implicitly or explicitly.

Have a good day.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by shihulud

Do you feel that theists are more intelligent due to their faith???

I will not use the word "intelligence" due to its controversy and how it may hurt people's feelings; instead, I will use the word development. I believe theists are more developed in Spiritual matters and that atheists are more developed in scientific matters.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Blessings.

In what way would you say you were a 'mad scientist'?

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   

mojo4sale, you misread my intentions: I was only trying to compliment melatonin for his good work. I did not mean what you stated implicitly or explicitly.

Have a good day.

Yes you did compliment melatonin with which i agree wholeheartedly, you then followed up your compliment by stating,

which, to me imply's that you believe that the two are unable to coexist ie being a scientist and having Spirituality, Faith, Hope, and Charity.
If that wasnt your intention i'm sorry for misinterpreting.

Btw what exactly is a "mad scientist" according to your definition.
Would it compare to being an extremist religious follower?

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Blessings.

In what way would you say you were a 'mad scientist'?

I was devoted more to earthlife rather than the afterlife. I had to rebalance my priorities and belief systems so that I would fully believe that God always knows everything and that the people who are "stars" on earth are not necessarily the "stars" of the afterlife. Not that life is about becoming a star; I believe it is about serving God and neighbor. Everything we do on earth has afterlife consequences.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   

I was devoted more to earthlife rather than the afterlife. I had to rebalance my priorities and belief systems so that I would fully believe that God always knows everything and that the people who are "stars" on earth are not necessarily the "stars" of the afterlife. Not that life is about becoming a star; I believe it is about serving God and neighbor. Everything we do on earth has afterlife consequences.

So what is your definition of "mad scientist". This isnt an answer. ^^^

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale

So what is your definition of "mad scientist". This isnt an answer. ^^^

My definition of a "mad scientist": a scientist who does not believe in an afterlife and is angry at life because of it and goes to extreme measures in theories and/or experiments to preserve it.

A "mad scientist" is not necessarily a bad person, just completely earth-focused.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   

My definition of a "mad scientist": a scientist who does not believe in an afterlife and is angry at life because of it and goes to extreme measures in theories and/or experiments to preserve it.

A "mad scientist" is not necessarily a bad person, just completely earth-focused.

Trouble with your terminology Great Tech is the use of the word "mad" purely because someone does not believe in the afterlife.
I dont use the word "insane" to describe a person who believes in invisible entities.

I dont believe anyone would be angry because they dont believe in the afterlife, their more likely to be angry because of more mundane issues such as poor family life, job opportunity's, the removal of their favorite tv show from a prime time slot etc.
And this from my experience affects church goers as much as non believers.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   
For all atheists: who do you believe is the Supreme Being of the Universe? Yourself, the President, a famous scientist, a famous writer, a famous athlete...? Why?

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   

For all atheists: who do you believe is the Supreme Being of the Universe? Yourself, the President, a famous scientist, a famous writer, a famous athlete...? Why?

Why the [expletive] does there have to be a supreme being?

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   

There isn't one?

If forced to define such a thing it would be nature.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   

There isn't one?

If forced to define such a thing it would be nature.

melatonin, are you happy or unhappy with "nature"? Why?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join