It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Atheists Atheists?

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
If you believe in god, and if I tell you that you have been brainwashed, would you...

* learn about the many known effective brainwashing techniques, including those the church is known to use,
* investigate your environment, daily life, and church experience to look for these brainwashing techniques (they are plain to see),
* attempt to isolate yourself from as many of the identifiable brainwashing influences for a period of time (risk backsliding? OH NO! DON'T!), say two to three weeks, (at least three Church Sundays)
* after a period of time evaluate yourself for signs of withdrawal or other psychological symptoms...

And in the end, you will probably find yourself an atheist. This is not exactly what happened to me, but knowing these facts helped ferment my anti-christian feelings.

Of course, you might believe the brainwashing is for good, but if that't true, why don't they tell you outright they are doing it? I thought so.

Columbus

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
GreatTech,

What ?

Gobbledegook!

It was a straightforward question. If God was conclusively proved not to exist (and that infers never to have existed - and that your belief is incorrect), do you believe that you would return to the behaviour you exhibited during your period of lack of faith ?

The question does require you to suspend for one moment your belief - ie a hypothetical question.

Hint - the answer would either be 'Yes' or 'No' not a metaphysical examination of your thought processes.

Regarding the question of my reaction to the proof of an omnipotent being, please refer to previous pages - you are repeating yourself when you already have the answer in print.

The Winged Wombat

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ariesanngel
a friend of mine lost her father in an accident 2 years ago and through an e-mail I found that she still struggles with this a great deal.

My deepest condolences to your friend, her family, her friends, and her family's friends. He has met God, and like for all of us, fate is in His hands. Some people I know feel that there is nothing more happy and glorious than the afterlife. Do not always fear death.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Winged Wombat
GreatTech,

'Humanitarianistic' (is this a real word?)

Once again, such arrogance - you are inferring that athiests are inhuman, or at the very least that it is altruistic and in the interests of humanity that atheists should be converted to YOUR GOD.

Even on a lesser level you are claiming altruism and humanitarianism as the sole domain of YOUR GOD.

And what if we choose not to convert, would you have us all killed off?

The Winged Wombat

[edit on 12/4/07 by The Winged Wombat]

Sorry about the faux pas with "humanitarianistic" (I vaguely linked altruism with altruistic and therefore humanitarianism with "humanitarianistic").

It is outrageous to assume that I would have anything to do with a life form being "killed off." I even hate to use anitbiotics because they kill bacteria.

Atheists are not inhuman. I believe we all need a higher power because no human being can wisely, prudently, and justly hold power unless that power is controlled by Divinity. Trust in humans is finite, trust in God is Infinite.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
My deepest condolences to your friend, her family, her friends, and her family's friends. He has met God, and like for all of us, fate is in His hands. Some people I know feel that there is nothing more happy and glorious than the afterlife. Do not always fear death.

Great Tech,
I wasn't looking for sympathy. You asked a question and you got an answer. You are barking up the wrong tree if you think you've found my weak spot for the shoe in conversion you are so desperately trying to find even if in one person. And for YOU fate is in 'HIS' hands.....perfect example of case in point. Some people I know, including me feel there is nothing more happy and glorious than being one with themselves as well as RESPECTING each other and the world in which we live.
Do not presume that I fear death...there's that judgmental thing you do again. You don't know me. I don't like to speak for others but, I'm going out on a limb when I say that here amongst this thread you will be hardpressed to find someone who isn't always going to be one step (if not two) ahead of you. I'll also add an apology for speaking for others and being slightly presumable. Sorry for that.

See if you can comprehend this one:
As we look deeply within, we understand our perfect balance. There is no fear of the cycle of birth, life and death. For when you stand in the present moment, you are timeless.

OR this one:
When the power of love replaces the love of power, only then shall we find peace.

OR even this one:
Don't blame others for your own doings, check yourself first. I find most people are too afraid of life to truley enjoy it.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 01:10 AM
link   

You don't know me. I don't like to speak for others but, I'm going out on a limb when I say that here amongst this thread you will be hardpressed to find someone who isn't always going to be one step (if not two) ahead of you.

Can you explain this? Just curious.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   

If we were all more tolerant of the views, lifestyles, customs, values and beliefs (or non-beliefs as appropriate) of others it would be a much more peaceful, and safer world.
The Winged Wombat

I stood and clapped right here and my wife thought i had gone mad.

Atheists are able to be all of the above because they dont adhere to an outdated religious dogma.
I can guarantee that i am more tolerant of any of my friends beliefs because i do not follow a particular religion (choose any) than any of my friends who do have a religious agenda.

Peace, light and happiness to all no matter there beliefs, that is what makes An Atheist an Atheist.
Question answered GreatTech.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale
Peace, light and happiness to all no matter there beliefs, that is what makes An Atheist an Atheist.
Question answered GreatTech.

I would say glory, ecstasy, and happiness to all no matter what there beliefs. Do you want the real truth to the following two questions?

Why are atheists atheists? God.

Why are theists theists? God.

We are all along for the ride!!! (I dare to say that Eternal Conversion is possible for any being in any fraction of a second). If you coughed most of the night two months ago, why? God. If you had an accident in your pants three months ago, why? God. If you kissed your wife last night, why? God. If you saw your son smile this morning, why? God.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 02:42 AM
link   

If you coughed most of the night two months ago, why? God. If you had an accident in your pants three months ago, why? God. If you kissed your wife last night, why? God. If you saw your son smile this morning, why? God.

If you killed your neighbour in a fit of rage, why? God. If you stole the last of a retired war veterans savings, why? God. If you saw someone getting beaten in the street and turned away, why? God.

If you believe that we are all responsible for our own actions and deserve to be judged by our peers for our own actions, why? Atheism.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:23 AM
link   
GreatTech,

I certainly do not think your attitude comical in any way. On the contrary, I think your attitude (not necessarily your beliefs) downright dangerous.

You think it outrageous that I would suggest or question that you could consider wiping out anyone who does not share your beliefs, but what you have been espousing is religious fundamentalism.

You may not think that the case, but consider this…..

Your own statements….'Some people I know feel that there is nothing more happy and glorious than the afterlife. Do not always fear death.'

This is PRECISELY what I would expect Osama Bin Laden to say, or indeed the last utterances of an extremist suicide bomber.

Do not take this as an insult, it is not intended to be. It is a plea for you to examine your views in the light of everyone else's views. If you merely dismiss everyone else's views as ignorance, then obviously your thinking is no better than that of OBN.

The basic point that you miss is that you do not understand that the likes of Osama Bin Laden are just as convinced that their way is the 'right way' and the 'only way' (and God approved) as you believe that you are right. Absolutely no difference at all.

The root problem of the current wave of religion based terrorism is 'fundamentalism' - the belief that 'God told me that this is the ONLY way' (and George Bush's policies are approaching that absurd self-rationalisation as well)

The Winged Wombat

I do not fear death, because I do not believe in your concept of heaven or hell. When I die, I simply cease to exist - what's to fear?

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 05:07 AM
link   

You don't know me. I don't like to speak for others but, I'm going out on a limb when I say that here amongst this thread you will be hardpressed to find someone who isn't always going to be one step (if not two) ahead of you.

Even I know the answer to this one - Its because we can tell virtually what your answer to any given question will be and its usually question dodging with some religious notion that doesnt answer anything, or you twist it to suit your conversion agenda. Your quite a transparent person!

G

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 05:07 AM
link   
You claim your god is responsible for everything, yet, if we blame it for anything bad (see Mojo’s post above) it is called blasphemy.

Why is that?

So when your god killed Jesus, was that suicide? Or filicide?

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 06:48 AM
link   

The simple fact of needing an explanation is plenty an explanation.

The following is the flip side to your questions:

Why are atheists atheists?

You have plenty of pages of reading material here but, simply put, PERSONAL CHOICE and no one should have to defend this choice to anyone.

Why are theists theists?

PERSONAL CHOICE and no one should have to defend this choice to anyone.

If you coughed most of the night two months ago, why?

Quite possibly because you caught a germ, have allergies, swallowed wrong, smoked one too many cigarettes, etc.

If you had an accident in your pants three months ago, why?

Maybe because there is a medical issues, or you weren't feeling well or you're still in infant stages and have yet to learn how to control your bladder muscles.

If you kissed your wife last night, why?

Perhaps you love your wife and wanted to display this in the form of affection.

If you saw your son smile this morning, why?

Could it be that he was happy to see you or you smiled at him first or that he is just an all around naturally happy boy?

With that, I'm leaving for vacation now. Have a peaceful weekend everyone!

[edit on 13-4-2007 by ariesanngel]

[edit on 13-4-2007 by ariesanngel]

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I made this thread for at least 4 major reasons (the first might seem awfully strange to you and other atheists):

1) God told me to, although I certainly cannot claim to always speak or write the Word of God.

2) To learn more about atheism and have learned that some atheists are extremely angry at God, if He did exist in their minds. When I was an atheist from 1989 to 1995, I was not angry at God if He did exist; I just thought it was illogical at the time.

3) To possibly offer a few words of wisdom.

4) To possibly be altruistic and humanitarian by sharing a little information about myself; if I positively influenced one person to at least consider faith, then I would consider mission accomplished.

GreatTech,

Point 1) IF an omnipotent being exists, I find it both arrogant and presumptuous that you would consider that it would need your help for it to make itself known to us. That wouldn't be at all omnipotent, would it.

Point 2) This is an outright lie! You never had any intention of learning anything - your purpose was solely to attempt to convert someone - as you admit in point 4. It is obvious that you have learnt nothing at all, because as has been already stated, any anger that you might have perceived is not directed at your 'God', but at your attitude and selective responses.

Point 3) You claim wisdom, but demonstrate none.

Point 4) Altruism and humanitarianism we have already covered. The last part is finally the truth coming out - you have been on a mission of conversion.

Your mission has failed miserably, GreatTech, you will make no conversions here. In fact you have dishonored both yourself and your religion.

If you were an honorable person, it would now be time to....

a) admit your deceipt in setting up this thread.
b) admit the total failure of your mission of conversion.
c) apologise for your arrogance and your demeaning remarks about everyone and anyone that does not share your beliefs.
d) above all to examine your actions in the light of the responses contained in this thread.
e) attempt to understand the concept of tolerance and the ramifications of a lack of tolerance.
d) quietly retire from this thread so that we can end this worthless exchange.

I therefore invite you to be that honorable person.

If a 'God' exists, and it has any interest whatsoever in the future of humanity, then the name of that 'God' would be TOLERANCE.

The Winged Wombat

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The Winged Wombat, sorry that I try to help some people with life. This must really be a "dishonorable" endeavor.

The comparison with Osama Bin Laden and George Bush's war policy is outrageous. I am probably one of the least violent people in the history of the world.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
GreatTech,

As usual, you have chosen to totally miss the point of the post. Yeah, you're just the epitemy of perfection, aren't you.

The Winged Wombat

[edit on 13/4/07 by The Winged Wombat]

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   

GreatTech,

As usual, you have chosen to totally miss the point of the post. Yeah, you're just the epitemy of perfection, aren't you.

The Winged Wombat

[edit on 13/4/07 by The Winged Wombat]

I am far from perfect. I do, however, try to serve God and His creation to the best of my ability each day.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
For all atheists: mojo4sale brought up the excellent point that we all have to take responsibility for our actions. I wholeheartedly agree and I applaud him for that. However, atheists just have their peers to answer to for illegal or bad behavior, while theists have their peers AND God to answer to for illegal or bad behavior.

What do you think?

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   

However, atheists just have their peers to answer to for illegal or bad behavior, while theists have their peers AND God to answer to for illegal or bad behavior.

What do you think?

If i misbehave i do have to answer to society and probably my wife as well, that is a much scarier proposition than having to answer to God.

Sure we all have to answer to our Peers, you believe that you also have to answer to God, and thats fine, that does not mean that your behaviour is any better than someone who does not believe in a deity, there are numerous examples of this from our leaders on a daily basis.

As much as ive enjoyed this thread at times, it seems to me that the answer to your original question has been given numerous times. Perhaps its time for you to admit that we are all different, with different beliefs, hopes and dreams and that we also lead worthy, loving, helpful lives without the burden of believing that an omniprescient deity is waiting in the wings to judge us.
I have no fear of what will happen to me after i die just for the fact that if i lead a good life the rest will take care of itself, if i'm wrong then a God that would deny a good person existance in the afterlife is not someone that i would want to devote my life to anyway.
I prefer to believe that my flesh and bones will be giving something back to the Earth, some sort of repayment for the mess we've made of her lately.
Have a good one.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   

However, atheists just have their peers to answer to for illegal or bad behavior, while theists have their peers AND God to answer to for illegal or bad behavior.

Actually just one of us is right, the other is wrong. So atheists believe they have to answer to their peers (some don't) and theists believe they have to answer to their peers and their god(s).

Greattech, this might kinda weird but to you believe in ghosts? If so, what do you think they are? (lost souls? suicides?)

Also, can I ask other atheists here (since we're all assemble) what they think about ghosts? (personally, I don't believe in them, since I don't really go for the soul concept)

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join