It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Atheists Atheists?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone

All right, now THESE are exactly the kind of posts we don't need to see on ATS.

I don't care how much you dislike theists, when you resort to hate speech like this, it's just shameful.
:shk:

What, almost as bad as being called ignorant, academically below average and prone to violence by theists because were atheists. Read through some of GreatTechs posts in this thread.
Then give him another wats vote for ragging on atheists, hypocrites!!

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale

I don't care how much you dislike theists, when you resort to hate speech like this, it's just shameful.

What, almost as bad as being called ignorant, academically below average and prone to violence by theists because were atheists. Read through some of GreatTechs posts in this thread.

I don't remember him ever calling anybody those names.
If you can find them, please show me.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale

thehumbleone, thank you for your support.

mojo4sale, the claims you have made are unsupportable. Especially outrageous is that you think that I stated that atheists are subject to violence by theists. I pray for atheists each day and treat people equally.

Love and peace for theists and atheists!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
mojo4sale, the claims you have made are unsupportable.

said the pot to the kettle

where's your support for the USSR losing because they were atheists?

and you have said many other things you couldnt' back up. like that slavery would have been abolished more peacefully if lincoln had been a man of faith.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I don't remember him ever calling anybody those names.
If you can find them, please show me.

Weve been called all sorts of things since the very first post, or do you only see what you want to see.

originally posted by GreatTech
1) Atheists have different thought patterns: rarely does God enter their mind for the cause and effect of any event.

2) Atheists have different vocabularies: frequently they score a little above average on "standardized tests" but these tests frequently have little to do with Sacred, Spiritual, and religious texts. They are more concerned with knowledge rather than wisdom. They frequently take part in the "selling of the soul syndrome."

3) Atheists' mind's eyes are underdeveloped: they frequently cannot associate the Creation of something as magnificent as the Universe to anything but a human or an atom of hydrogen.

Well from the opening post we are described as unable to have any influence on any thing in our lives. We only score a little above average on standardized tests, so were not as smart as theists. We are unable to see the majesty of nature.

originally posted by Royal76 They lack faith, and the courage to believe in something bigger than themselves. It real easy to say I don't believe, its alot harder to have faith.

originally posted by Royal76
They are way to rapped up in themselves to believe in the possibility of a higher power...higher than themselves.

We lack faith, courage and are self absorbed.

When I was an atheist I was a graduate student at the University of Chicago and I was arrogant and self-absorbed and wanted to conquer the world. I would give the smallest and most fleeting care for the diseased and less fortunate in the world.

We are self absorbed and do not care for anyone less fortunate than ourselves.

Are atheist Presidents more likely to start nuclear war because they feel no Afterlife consequences

We are more likely to destroy the world.

you are an intelligent person, but misguided.

We are misguided.

No, the cause of atheism is greed.

The cause of atheists is greed.

We are greedy.

Can the USA or any other nation elect a President that is an atheist? I am afraid that if it did occur the consequences for the nation and the world would be dire.

Once again we are a danger to all.

I believe that atheism prevents us from being truly creative. How can we be truly creative and not believe in the One that created it all?

We are unable to be creative

Atheists show an under-appreciation for what they have. They show an over-appreciation for what others have. The cause of atheism is greed.

Were selfish, jealous and greedy.

originally posted by RomanianDacianHun
I think because they arent intellegent enough to have a spiritual side, or they think too highly of themselves

Were stupid and selfish.

Just basing it on most athiests, and I really dont care if you help the less fortunate, an athiest to me is either too stupid to phathom a spiritual side or think theyre too good for a religion. You can hug as many tress as you want and feed starving little kids, still wont change my mind.

More of the same.

This all makes me think of Ezekiel 25:17

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeange upon you.

The way I see that passage is the "poisoned" ones and those who attempt to "destroy my brothers" are athiests. I see myself as the righteous man who shephards the weak through the valley of darkness by opposing against them. I dont believe in spreading God because my belief is very unorthodox and those who choose not to awknowledge any religion should be at war with the believers. Kind of like being a new age crusader under my own banner.

This all from theists, and you wonder why someone bites back occasionally.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

where's your support for the USSR losing because they were atheists?

Our belief system is one of the major foundations for our actions. A stronger belief system frequently defeats a weaker belief system. When your belief system is open to God, all things become possible in every possible human endeavor, from Spirituality to science to arts...

Communism is not an ideal form of government; it has been proven that citizens in communist nations live shorter lives than those that have more democratic governments.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   

mojo4sale, the claims you have made are unsupportable. Especially outrageous is that you think that I stated that atheists are subject to violence by theists. I pray for atheists each day and treat people equally.

Love and peace for theists and atheists!!!

originally posted by GreatTech The biggest threat to the existence of this world is atheism.

What then does this mean.

originally posted by GreatTech 3) Scientists tend to invent weapons to kill people, not spiritualists or people of religion.

And this.

originally posted by GreatTech The future that atheists see is so bleak and uninspiring that I do not see how any true leader can be an atheist

And more pearls of wisdom.

So far i believe that atheists in this thread have been labeled as,

Less intelligent than theists.

Selfish.

Greedy.

Prone to violence on a global scale.

Less spiritual.

Self absorbed.

Do not care for those less fortunate than ourselves.

And ive probably missed a couple as i havent had time to reread the whole thread, i'm taking the kids out for a pagan ritual. Must go and sharpen my horns and polish my hooves.

thehumbleone, do you only champion the rights of those who believe as you do, arent we all god's creatures according to your faith.

thehumbleone,
I do not believe that the post you were referring to was appropriate, but neither do i think many other posts in this thread from theists have been appropriate either, but when you are wearing blinkers you can only see in one direction.

cheers mojo.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Our belief system is one of the major foundations for our actions. A stronger belief system frequently defeats a weaker belief system.

you're just making statements, you're not backing any of them up

When your belief system is open to God, all things become possible in every possible human endeavor, from Spirituality to science to arts...

um..
here's something about scientists. in the USA only 7% of the members of the national academy of sciences believe in god
out of all the scientists in our country, only 40% believe in god..

how many nobel prize winning scientists have believed in god?

Communism is not an ideal form of government; it has been proven that citizens in communist nations live shorter lives than those that have more democratic governments.

PERECT communism is an ideal form of government. i'm not talking in practice, i'm talking in IDEALS

and what does communism have to do with governance?
communism is an economic system
democracy is a governing system

you can have a communist democracy (though if you were going for marxism you couldn't have one until the dictatorship of the proliteriate was over)

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

here's something about scientists. in the USA only 7% of the members of the national academy of sciences believe in god
out of all the scientists in our country, only 40% believe in god..

how many nobel prize winning scientists have believed in god?

madnessinmysoul, do you believe in Satan?

What percent of the members of the national academy of sciences, scientists in general, and nobel prize winning scientists believe in Satan?

I would trust a homeless person that believes in God 100 times more than a scientist who is an atheist and won a 1,000 nobel prizes.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by I See You
For the same reasons that you're not.

You took the words right out of my mouth!

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Unfortunately this is stuck.

And productive, no.

We are not finding the common denominator, the fact that we are all human.

All this is, is a dispute over speculation.

Until someone can connect to a source (knowledge) for verification this will remain allegations, contradictions and elements of unknown.

Both science and religion are the fattest examples of contradiction im aware of and that history cannot be changed.

It's funny how most people don't realise this. So basically both sides are a flock of sheep to put it lightly.

Sorry if I offend anyone but hard core Athiesm I regard to be in the same pool

[edit on 18-3-2007 by Selmer2]

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 01:09 AM
link   
We are simply saying that it’s not real. All your arguments are for the negativity and darkness of atheism and the positivist and beauty of theism.

Your description of the beauty of your god does nothing to prove its existence. At least in the Alien & UFOs forum they’ve got pictures, videos etc. to analyze...

You’ve brought nothing, nota, zilch.

Sure, God seems to have brought good things in your life, doesn’t mean it’s real. Your belief in something higher than yourself makes you feel good. Good for you.

Santa Clause was great too. But, I outgrew him a while back. Why can't you?

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Selmer2
Until someone can connect to a source (knowledge) for verification this will remain allegations, contradictions and elements of unknown.

If someone starts taking Spiderman or the Easter Bunny seriously should we give them the benefit of the doubt?

Is it OK to say “Our belief system is one of the major foundations for our actions.” When it’s all based on “speculations”.

We aren’t claiming that anything exists. The burden is on Theists to bring us proof of the existence of gods. (so far they've only asked us to share their Faith)

Let’s assume that Greattech is right and that our non-belief in gods did cause the cold war…. Would this prove the existence of God? Of course not. They are obvious Stawmen arguments, but logic doesn’t apply in these kinds of conversations. (because His above human logic)

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Quite correct, people, my posts are not what you want. The last thing you want is someone who is prepared to speak the truth!

I was not attempting to insult anyone, merely pointing out that GreatTech's purpose here is NOT to be enlightened by any answer to his/her question, but rather to disseminate religious fundamentalist propaganda (and I don’t care whether it is Christian, Islamic, or any other kind of fundamentalism).

Literally, you might just as well be having such a 'discussion' with Osama Bin Laden, as all GreatTech is doing is preaching at everyone. To call it a discussion is a farce.

To call what I have said 'hate' is ridiculous. I don’t hate GreatTech or anyone else. I do however pity GreatTech, and view his/her responses as definite signs of mental instability (and I'm sure any mental health professional would agree with me), so I stand by what I've said, and if you think that a serious recommendation to seek mental health assistance amounts to an insult, well, it just shows that some people will never take any advice or council from anyone, I guess.

If that be the case with GreatTech, then I guess that also nullifies any belief they may have, because they will only listen to their own inner feelings.

Therefore it is ridiculous to continue any such 'discussion', as GreatTech is not in the business of listening. End of story.

Oh, just by the way.... this was posted on international news sources on 16th March.

'A Ukrainian man thought to be the world's oldest person has celebrated his 116th birthday.
Grigory Nestor has celebrated his birthday with a small gathering of friends and family at his home in Ukraine's west.
The authorities have marked the occasion by entering him into the record books.
Mr Nestor was born in 1891 and has survived two World Wars, famine and a harsh life under the Soviet Union.
He puts his longevity down to a few factors - a simple diet of potatoes, milk and the odd shot of vodka.
Mr Nestor also says he has lived so long because he has never been married.'

Goodbye

[edit on 18/3/07 by The Winged Wombat]

[edit on 18/3/07 by The Winged Wombat]

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   

To call what I have said 'hate' is ridiculous. I don’t hate GreatTech or anyone else. I do however pity GreatTech, and view his/her responses as definite signs of mental instability (and I'm sure any mental health professional would agree with me), so I stand by what I've said, and if you think that a serious recommendation to seek mental health assistance amounts to an insult, well, it just shows that some people will never take any advice or council from anyone, I guess.

WHAT?!?!

Are you kidding? you really think you can say diagnose someone with mental instability just because his view doesn't agree with yours?

What responses has he given that would make you think something like this?

I think your being outrageous.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   

WHAT?!?!

Are you kidding? you really think you can say diagnose someone with mental instability just because his view doesn't agree with yours?

and tech isn't being outrageous when he makes outright attacks on atheists that he cannot back up?

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   

WHAT?!?!

I think he's being perfectly reasonable. Christ-Psychosis is a form of mental illness.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Alright. I'm going to be silly and not respond to the stupid posts I've been reading for the past 13 pages but rather the very first one. Here are my thoughts.

List one or more reasons. I will list three:

1) Atheists have different thought patterns: rarely does God enter their mind for the cause and effect of any event.

First of all, STOP GENERALIZING. I am so sick of seeing people referring to all Theists as one thing and all Atheists as another thing. People should not be judged by their faith!

People have different thought patterns from you, believe it or not! It doesn't mean they're any more efficient in thought than you. They're just different.

Why are some people smarter than others? Dumber? Why do some people learn faster than others? Slower? Why some people believe in God? And not?

It's called variance. Or as you might say; God gave us free will.

2) Atheists have different vocabularies: frequently they score a little above average on "standardized tests" but these tests frequently have little to do with Sacred, Spiritual, and religious texts.

... Why does this even remotely matter? I speak English. You speak English. I've read out of the Bible and can analyze those texts the same exact way I analyze one of Charles Dickens' or Stephen King's books.

I don't see exactly where you're coming from with this "reason".

They are more concerned with knowledge rather than wisdom.

They frequently take part in the "selling of the soul syndrome."

Where on earth do you come up with this stuff? What is "selling of the soul syndrome"?

I'm an Atheist and I'm not more concerned with knowledge than wisdom.

3) Atheists' mind's eyes are underdeveloped: they frequently cannot associate the Creation of something as magnificent as the Universe to anything but a human or an atom of hydrogen.

I have 20/20 vision, thank you.

I know you're going to give me the line about God being too complex (or too simple) to be described in naturalistic terms, there's evidence proving that atoms are the existence of matter. Just like there's evidence of dinosaurs, but were they ever mentioned on the Bible? No because they weren't discovered yet.

But now they've been discovered. Whoops?

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Winged Wombat
Quite correct, people, my posts are not what you want. The last thing you want is someone who is prepared to speak the truth!

I was not attempting to insult anyone, merely pointing out that GreatTech's purpose here is NOT to be enlightened by any answer to his/her question, but rather to disseminate religious fundamentalist propaganda (and I don’t care whether it is Christian, Islamic, or any other kind of fundamentalism).

Literally, you might just as well be having such a 'discussion' with Osama Bin Laden, as all GreatTech is doing is preaching at everyone. To call it a discussion is a farce.

If that be the case with GreatTech, then I guess that also nullifies any belief they may have, because they will only listen to their own inner feelings.

Therefore it is ridiculous to continue any such 'discussion', as GreatTech is not in the business of listening. End of story.

The Winged Wombat:

"Stop judging, that you may not be judged. For as you judge, so will you be judged, and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you." Matthew 7:1-2

I do not judge Souls, only God does. But I do try to judge concepts and discern between what is right and wrong.

It is very easy for atheists to say theists are mentally unstable, and vice versa. Labeling a person as mentally ill when he or she is not, is wrong.

By the way, I am a Mensa member (IQ test in the 99th percentile), was nominated for Who's Who in America in 2005 (fewer than 4 out of 10,000 are nominated), and work 80 hours a week in medical research (atherosclerosis and carcinogenesis). Not boasting (boast only in the Lord), just defending myself from the accusation of being mentally ill.

Many atheists can see, but lack vision and I find it tragic. As a former disbeliever myself, I led a godless life but later was resurrected by the Greatness of God.

"Blessed are those who have not seen and believed." John 20:29

I pray for blessings for all atheists, especially now The Winged Wombat.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   

"Stop judging, that you may not be judged. For as you judge, so will you be judged, and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you." Matthew 7:1-2

Written by men, for men.

It is very easy for atheists to say theists are mentally unstable, and vice versa. Labeling a person as mentally ill when he or she is not, is wrong.

If someone says his belief in Santa Claus “is one of the major foundations for his actions”, Would you call him insane? I would.

There’s no more evidence for your god then for Santa Claus.

You’re probably not insane because you’re just following the crowd. (madness of crowd), but the belief in god itself is insane or at least, irrational.

Many atheists can see, but lack vision and I find it tragic.

I find it tragic that “a major foundations for your actions” is based on make-belief creatures.

You dismiss Dionysus for no reason that you can explain. He died for you, he resurrected for you. Yet you ignore him.

Why is Dionysus mythology, yet Jesus is reality? (both stories related by men.)

As a former disbeliever myself, I led a godless life but later was resurrected by the Greatness of God.

Obviously you hadn’t thought much on why you were atheist. And you can’t explain why your theist now, Except tell us how good your god is. Being good doesn't make it real.

praise the banana...

[edit on 18/3/07 by ConspiracyNut23]

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join