It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Atheists Atheists?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   
The biggest threat to the existence of this world is atheism. The primary reason why the USA won the Cold War is that it believed in God more than the USSR did.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
How about doing some research on blind people who believe in God?

Are you serious??!!! I think I understand why you believe now. Ok I can touch people, can you touch god?

Dionysus falls into the category of mythology, although he was in the mind of a creative writer.

Don't you find it odd that he did everything Jesus did before Jesus did it itself? I think your fictional writers are guilty of plagiarism.

Are you sure Jesus didn't spring from the mind of a creative writer(s)? (a very unoriginal one at that)

The primary reason why the USA won the Cold War is that it believed in God more than the USSR did.

Ok now you're pulling our chain. There's no way, that you actually believe this!!!

Tell me GreatTech, how old is our planet?

[edit on 16/3/07 by ConspiracyNut23]

[edit on 16/3/07 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyNut23

Are you serious??!!! I think I understand why you believe now. Ok I can touch people, can you touch god?

God touches everybody no matter whether you are conscious of it or not.

We can touch God, but only according to His mandate.

Don't you find it odd that he did everything Jesus did before Jesus did it itself? I think your fictional writers are guilty of plagiarism.

Where are Dionysus's words of wisdom? Did he suffer, die, and resurrect after three days?

You do not have to believe in Jesus to believe in God, but I believe Jesus was the most genius and influential being that took human form in world history.

I recommend that you read the New Testament, especially the four Gospels.

Happy Easter!!!

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   

You have voted GreatTech for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have used all of your votes for this month.

GreatTech, you are cool.

[edit on 16-3-2007 by thehumbleone]

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I don't know why I am an Atheist. I've always never really believed in unbelievable concepts, even as a child. The reason being is cuz I could visualize what someone was saying literally and I visualized the bible literally and it resembled TV and Movies more then Reality. I put 2+2 together and thus, became an Atheist. How I became a radical atheist, well just watch this video...

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Did he suffer, die, and resurrect after three days?

Yes, he did. You just chose to ignore him. (On Easter no less !!! Coincidence?)

I recommend that you read the New Testament, especially the four Gospels.

And who wrote those? Do you even care? (I'll give you a hint, it's not your god)

Happy Easter!!!

Should I pretend it's a Christian holiday? How far down in the sand do I have to stick my head to believe in that one?

Have you ever studied comparative religion?

[edit on 17/3/07 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
GreatTech, you are cool.

Tell me thenumbleone, how cool is she?...

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 01:18 AM
link   

If you believe that all attempts to prove that God exists are futile, then would it not be futile to prove that you or anyone else exists?

Then this discussion does not exist. Or does it!!

Is there physical evidence that we are discussing why atheists are atheists. Yes.
Is there physical evidence of a deity. No.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale

If you believe that all attempts to prove that God exists are futile, then would it not be futile to prove that you or anyone else exists?

Then this discussion does not exist. Or does it!!

Is there physical evidence that we are discussing why atheists are atheists. Yes.
Is there physical evidence of a deity. No.

Physical evidence that a human exists: another human telling another human.

Physical evidence that God exists: A UNIVERSE, GALAXIES, SOLAR SYSTEMS, PLANETS, PLANET SATELLITES, CELLS, MOLECULES, ATOMS, SUBATOMIC PARTICLES...

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Physical evidence that God exists: A UNIVERSE, GALAXIES, SOLAR SYSTEMS, PLANETS, PLANET SATELLITES, CELLS, MOLECULES, ATOMS, SUBATOMIC PARTICLES...

Actually those are physical evidence that the universe, galaxies, solar systems, planets, planet satellites, cells, molecules, atoms and subatomic particles exist.

It does nothing to prove that gods exist. And you know that.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 01:33 AM
link   

But how does that prove the existence of a deity any more than my being here.
Maybe it took more than one deity to create the universe, maybe it took none, maybe it was an accident, maybe aliens did it, maybe John Belushi created it.
PROVE IT WAS YOUR GOD. I dare you.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   

The biggest threat to the existence of this world is atheism. The primary reason why the USA won the Cold War is that it believed in God more than the USSR did.

Once again, how arrogant - humanity might well destroy itself, but the planet cease to exist - I don't think so. The world will go on, with or without us. Arrogance, arrogance, arrogance.

I've got news for you.... you didn't win the cold war.... you bankrupted the USSR trying to defend themselves from your insane political/military system. Oh yeah, and of course it was only the USA that was in opposition to the Soviets, no one else helped - the good old USA did it all by themselves - Political arrogance as well as religious arrogance. I suppose you single handedly won WWI and WWII as well, in spite of the fact that you joined in 2 years late in both cases. Just bend history to fit your beliefs. So how come the mighty faithful didn't prevail in Vietnam? (Don't bother telling me, I already know that you're going blame that defeat on the lack of 'faith' of your leaders of the era - so predictable - 'God' wins or 'man' loses - how convenient!)

If you actually read some history instead of your Bible (I'm making the assumption that you are a Christian here - your rhetoric could just as easily be from the mouth of an Islamic fundamentalist), you might actually have some understanding of the world.

I don't care what you believe in, but statements like your one above absolutely prove that it is people like yourself, totally intolerant of everyone else's views and beliefs, that are the most dangerous force on earth today - far more dangerous that a dozen Osama Bin Ladens - because you will not rest until everone other than your own 'precious faithful' is destroyed.

Mark my words, GreatTech, your kind will destroy humanity forever. You are always out there attempting to destroy the Devil, but you don't and won't understand that it is you and your intolerant attitudes that are the Devil. For everyone's sake, PLEASE seek some psychiatric help. Compare your attitudes to the definition of megalomania.

I'm outa here - you are just too scary - seriously!!!!

The Winged Wombat
Keep taking the pills, GreatTech

[edit on 17/3/07 by The Winged Wombat]

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Winged Wombat
(I'm making the assumption that you are a Christian here - your rhetoric could just as easily be from the mouth of an Islamic fundamentalist)

His/her rhetoric maybe, but the diction is more typical of the Christian fundies.

Notice how he/she constantly avoids most of our arguments? Instead if focuses on the dream. “look here, it’s so beautiful… eternal life! Go! Go! Go!” He/she has nothing to back this with anymore than J.K. Rowling would if she suddenly decided that Harry Potter is real.

I considered going through the entire thread and listing all the logical fallacies that GreatTech exhibited in this thread, but I chose not to. -  He would only reply that his/her god is above human logic. So it would be a pointless exercise.

:bnghd:

more banana worship to follow...

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Once again, how arrogant - humanity might well destroy itself, but the planet cease to exist - I don't think so. The world will go on, with or without us. Arrogance, arrogance, arrogance.

I've got news for you.... you didn't win the cold war.... you bankrupted the USSR trying to defend themselves from your insane political/military system. Oh yeah, and of course it was only the USA that was in opposition to the Soviets, no one else helped - the good old USA did it all by themselves - Political arrogance as well as religious arrogance. I suppose you single handedly won WWI and WWII as well, in spite of the fact that you joined in 2 years late in both cases. Just bend history to fit your beliefs. So how come the mighty faithful didn't prevail in Vietnam? (Don't bother telling me, I already know that you're going blame that defeat on the lack of 'faith' of your leaders of the era - so predictable - 'God' wins or 'man' loses - how convenient!)

If you actually read some history instead of your Bible (I'm making the assumption that you are a Christian here - your rhetoric could just as easily be from the mouth of an Islamic fundamentalist), you might actually have some understanding of the world.

I don't care what you believe in, but statements like your one above absolutely prove that it is people like yourself, totally intolerant of everyone else's views and beliefs, that are the most dangerous force on earth today - far more dangerous that a dozen Osama Bin Ladens - because you will not rest until everone other than your own 'precious faithful' is destroyed.

Mark my words, GreatTech, your kind will destroy humanity forever. You are always out there attempting to destroy the Devil, but you don't and won't understand that it is you and your intolerant attitudes that are the Devil. For everyone's sake, PLEASE seek some psychiatric help. Compare your attitudes to the definition of megalomania.

The Winged Wombat

The Winged Wombat, some fairly vicious personal attacks. I will keep you in my prayers.

Love and Peace!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   

The Winged Wombat

All right, now THESE are exactly the kind of posts we don't need to see on ATS.

I don't care how much you dislike theists, when you resort to hate speech like this, it's just shameful.
:shk:

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
humble, it isn't hatespeech against theists, it's against a certain type of theist. the type that thinks the USSR lost because they were atheists.

newsflash, communism fell because it was too idealistic to truely succeed in the real world

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
GreatTech, you are cool.

Tell me thenumbleone, how cool is she?...

ConspiracyNut23, the video is misleading because you are assuming that Christians are perfect. Only God is perfect.

Who is perfect in the atheism world?

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I agree the video is misleading. It does not reflect the average Christian. I did not mean to generalize or to imply that you would act is such a way.

Who is perfect in the atheism world?

I would guess no one is. As my signature implies, I try to look for good ideas not heroes.

Are you looking for a hero? Have you found him/her?

I wouldn’t say the God described in the OT fits my definition of perfection. Does it fit yours?

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I've been an atheist for a while now, and I'll tell you why. Everything in this world has a logical explanation. No exceptions. Life sucks and no amount of praying is going to help. Just because I pray for a better life doesn't make it happen, but going out and trying to get one does. I guess I don't like to believe in predestiny. I know that not all religions, do. But I don't like to think that I'm not in control of my own life. As for that "evidence" so and so posted before about the universe being evidence for a deity, it is not very good. We are just the result of other universes colliding. Universes have been around before us. It is called the multiverse theory, if you want too wiki it. Also, everything about life has been explained. We know how our cells work, how are organs work, there is nothing special about it. Also, they have found archaebacteria on Mars, which is where all life on a planet begins at. On our planet, archaebacteria was also first, and then evolved and evolved. We have evidence of this. God didn't just come down and say "Oh, I think I am going to make people today. Additionally, most religions make me sick. Jesus says to love everyone, but the churches shun homosexuals. Islam teaches priest and they have fundamentalist blowing themselves up. It seems religion is just used as an excuse to go where you want and take what you want. If everyone were atheist, this world wouldn't have a lot of the wars it did.

Sorry about that being so disorganized, I kind of just went on a rant.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Are you looking for a hero? Have you found him/her?

I wouldn’t say the God described in the OT fits my definition of perfection. Does it fit yours?

I have already found a hero: God. But, of course, God is way beyond a hero: He is the source of creation and Life. The closer you are to God the closer you are to Divinity. There are no sufficient adjectives to describe the greatness of God.

Many atheists are atheists because they see earthlife as unjust and do not believe in an afterlife. They frequently do not believe in an afterlife because of "a lack of physical evidence." In reality, they cannot prove that they physically exist.

It takes an Eternal view of Life to see perfect justice as God only sees everything in Infinite and Eternal ways.

The Old Testament is perfectly just in the Eternal view.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join