It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My First Out of Body Experience

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I just wanted to share an experience I had with everyone to maybe find some direction as to what happened to me.

A few days ago I was lying in bed trying to go to sleep. My throat was dry and I was very warm. I got up, as I would typically do, walked down the hall, checked on the thermostat and turned it down. I went into the kitchen and got some water. I heard the dog barking outside and looked out to check on him. I turned on the lights and stepped outside and my dog started growling and his hair stood on end. This startled me as my dog has never been aggresive before, so I figured it was best to leave him alone until morning, as I had no clue what his problem was. So I went back into the kitchen to get another drink and then headed back to bed. As I went into my room I was stunned to see my body laying on the bed and I guess at that moment I was transfered back to my body as I became aware that I was still laying in bed. I thought maybe I was dreaming so I got up to check the thermostat, but I didn't remember what it was set on earlier so that didn't help me. I went into the kitchen and there on the counter was a glass of water that was definetely not there before. This really floored me, for now I knew this was no dream. I looked out at the dog again but I guess he went into the dog house I didn't see him or hear him anymore. I sat down on the couch to think about this. I knew I couldn't get back to sleep after this. I was sure I had an out of body experience but it wasn't at all what I had expected. I thought with out of body experiences you went to other dimensions or some of that other sci fi stuff you hear, but I was stuck here at home (not realizing what was happening) doing my normal routine. This also got me to thinking about death, is this what would happen if you died? Would you not know it and wander about doing your same routine? I just hope someone can give me some direction about what happened and some advice. I am scared to sleep sometimes as I think this could happen again or I wonder if it has and I didn't know it.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 03:22 AM
link   
That sounds really incredible. I don't understand why the dog would react like that though..

Why did you wait a few days to talk about it? Is this the first paranormal event to have happened to you?

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Well I've seen what some would call shadow people a couple times last year, but nothing more then that really. Nothing as odd as this. I'm not sure about the dog either, nothing about any of it makes sense.

I waited only a couple days before posting. I thought about it A LOT before posting, I tried to google some information but didn't really get too far with that. I guess the fear of ridicule stopped me from posting earlier, plus it just seems so weird that I can hardly believe it myself.

Dae

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
What an interesting twist!

Ill have a go at a possible explanation *rolls up sleeves*

Its possible you dreamt all that, I know I know but hear me out. Ive had this experience many times and it is confusing and sometimes scary. I have dreamt I have woken up and have done the things I usually do in the morning. But Im actually dreaming, so I wake up again and do my thang, except Im still dreaming. Yup, just like in the flippin' movies. The only thing is for me, there is a difference in the feel, yes I believe Im awake but it feels different, I know when Im totally awake because of that 'reality feeling' reality seems to have

The bit where you saw yourself, that was part of the dream, shooting back into your body is you just waking up. I could be wrong! I have had an OBE about 3 times that I can clearly remember as a proper event. Each time I so knew I was OBE and in astral (what ever that is eh).

When you woke the first time, did it feel any different from the second?

The glass of water is strange though, I didnt think a person has that much influence from the astral, not the type to move a glass about but then I dont know, Its possible that you not knowing you were OBE moved a glass when you shouldnt have been able to, if so sweet!

It will be interesting to see what other ATSers say because your story is quite interesting!

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I did think that I was dreaming, I thought there is no way in hell this just happened. But the glass being there just baffles me because I knew I loaded up all the dishes earlier so it wasn't there previously. The only thing I really felt was warm/hot. I wasn't conscious of being out of my body at all. I don't know enough about the subject to make any suggestions about the experience that's why I'm hoping I can find some here.

Dae, how did your out of body experiences go? Feel free to share, defintely glad to know I'm not alone on this.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   
It is interesting isn't it conspiracy_101. And I am sure that you had so many different intence feelings about it that it took you days to sort through all of them, and you still dont know how you feel about it. Part of you thinks COOL. The rest of you is confused, terrified, speechless. It's amazing, but at the same time you realize you had no controll over it at all, and that is just scarey. A whole new world has opened up before you, and you realize that there is more to this world than you have ever seen, and so much more going on than you could have ever thought. Yes, you can move things when you are astral. For those who didnt know this, stop, and think before you say cool please. As for the shadow man, something was brought to my attention not too long ago. Someone pointed out to me that the shadow man we see is actually us comming back to our body. I had never thought of that before, because it took years for my slap in the face of what was happening like you just had. But I am thinking that the one who said this just might be right about the shadow man being us with out our bodies.

Good luck rethinking all your dreams.

Dae

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy_101
Dae, how did your out of body experiences go? Feel free to share, defintely glad to know I'm not alone on this.

Ok, I will. I do have some issues about the experience and it still affects me today. I dont have the time to sit and write it out now but I will say my OBEs included a lot of pain. Heh, trying googling that one, I havnt found a single person who has had my experience. I aint talking about a vibration or noise, Im talking about mind numbing pain (in my ears) and so far Im alone in this experience.

According to the lovely mrsdudara you can move things when in astral! Well then, it highly likely that you did. The night it happened, did you have a busy day, more than usual? Did you do any studying or any heavy duty thinking? I found out that intense concentration directly proceeding sleep can induce an OBE. For instance, a student studying at a desk and falling asleep on their books has a decent chance of OBE. Its also entirely possible that it could have been an outside influence, you mentioned feeling hot and thirsty, when you woke the second time did the house feel warm, what I mean is did you feel the initial heat and dry throat the second time?

Ok, gotta dash!

Dae

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dae
According to the lovely mrsdudara

I hear sarcasm in that

Your right, that did come off really......gloomy. Sorry bout that. Its just I dont like to scare people, and imagine if someone was in the kitchen when that happened. They would have peed their pants thinking they had a ghosty. Its not very fun to scare people when you cant let them know that it was you. And even if you could let them know it was you, what would be worse, them thinking they had a ghost, or them knowing it was you with out your body. It can be handy at times, but not always.

Dae

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara

Originally posted by Dae
According to the lovely mrsdudara

I hear sarcasm in that

No no honest, I did mean lovely! Ive seen you in chat so you must be lovely!

If I do sarcasm its usually when Im pretty annoyed and, depends on how annoyed, I may indicate said sarcy commet with a
Anyway you wernt to know.

Back to moving stuff from the astral, any other warning that goes with it? It doesnt drain yer life force or anything? You know, apart from not scaring the locals with floating cars, any other reasons not to bother?

[edit on 19/2/07 by Dae]

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I don't think anything was unusual about that day. Just the typical get up and go to work kind of thing. I guess that's the strangest thing about it, everything up until that point was normal. I don't recall being warm or thirsty when I woke up but I was so scared and in shock trying to figure out if it was a dream or not that I can't say for sure. I didn't think about it anymore that's for sure.

Interesting thing about the shadow men though. I had never heard that before. So would that mean this has happened before and I just wasn't aware of it? Is it possible this will happen again without my knowledge? Is it possible to control it now that I know about it? Sorry for all the questions I just really am scared at the idea of leaving my body without knowing about it.

Dae

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
About 8 years ago I was at college talking to a fellow student who was a retired navy person. I asked him to tell me about the strangest things he saw and experienced. He told me about seeing a man levitate in India but he said the weirdest was astral projecting which of course had nothing to do with him 'visiting all the worlds’ docks'!

So I asked him how he did it and he told me. I practiced the technique he taught me every night for about 2 weeks. One day I was revising ALL day, thats all I did, and went straight to bed. I did the usual routine and fell fast asleep. Dont know how long later but I turned over in bed and my body faced the edge of the bed, one body stopped and the other one kept going! I was completely AWAKE and finding myself floating gently towards the floor, still makes me grin that experience!

So I realise, "My god I did it! Im out! Im floating to the floor and Ive seen 'Ghost' (a film), Im not going through the floor boards!" (I know I know, shoot me) So then I start to float upwards to my right and Im still facing downwards. I notice my then baby in his cot and I muse to myself "I cant leave him alone like that" (his dad was working away at the time) and WHAMO right back in.

The pain was unreal, thats the first thing that happened when I supposedly got back in. I sat upright in bed with my fingers in my ears because thats where the pain was coming from. It wasnt just pain either, I could feel my ear canals clamping down on my finger tips, so much so my fingers where now a source of pain.

Then what happened next, Im actually lying in my bed and now experiencing sleep paralysis AND the pain hasnt stopped! A few moments later, I have control back and the pain very quickly subsides. I was shook to the core, I felt so vulnerable and experienced something I still have no clear answer to today.

On that experience alone I could think, ok I didnt 'fit' back into my body as nicely as it should have, or maybe HAARP was testing out a new frequency at the moment but with the other two times I OBE I had the same pain AND I started to suffer from more sleep paralysis with the pain. It took years for me to finally overcome the pain, I literally had to relax into it, which is sooo funny, its like "Ok im relaxing now, reeelaxing! Pain aint stopping, pain is still there, gotta relax, gotta relax"
It took a while but now I can ride it through. It hasnt gone, none of it, its still all there in the background.

About two years ago my ex said he OBEd and looked down to see me, and saw another me but asleep upside-down in respect to my physical body. When he told me that I was like, wow that felt so right, it felt like I am trying to protect myself from floating out because Im very wary of any astral visits until I get more information/guidance.

Anyway, Ive written a bunch and thats just the first experience!

Oh yeah, do you ever get startled awake by a very loud noise? WOOOSHBANGS or just a loud BANG!
that one is weird and I know there are lots of people who have experienced that one.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
*So would that mean this has happened before and I just wasn't aware of it?

Yes

*Is it possible this will happen again without my knowledge?

Yes

*Is it possible to control it now that I know about it?

That is a difficult one to answer. I think that one of the more unsetteling things about it is the fact that your concious mind has no control. At all. It is almost like you are two different people. Your astral self is the pure you. The concious you is the one that has been "trained" I guess is a good way to put it. My astral self never rethinks anything, and does not seek permission ... ever. Good thing is that my astral self is good and innocent like a child.

"Sorry for all the questions I just really am scared at the idea of leaving my body without knowing about it."

Dont be sorry. It is natural to have a lot of questions, and it is quite unsettleing. Feel free to ask away, I just cant guarentee I have the answers.

Dae, you asked..... "Oh yeah, do you ever get startled awake by a very loud noise?"
No I havent have you?

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I have had several OBE`s and in the beginning they are very hard (at least for me!) to achieve. To me it doesn´t sound like an OBE, I have noticed that if you are a beginner in the field you have problems controlling your movements and where you want to go, in the beginning I found myself trying to "swim" in the direction I wanted to go.

Dae

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
Dae, you asked..... "Oh yeah, do you ever get startled awake by a very loud noise?"
No I havent have you?

Yes, probably about 20 or so times in my life. The majority of them have been recent, last 2-3 years. I have been stressed out though and I hear that stress can do that. I used to wake my ex up and ask "did you hear that loud noise!?" always no.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
You know, I was just re-reading your story and its interesting that you mentioned you felt warm, as i've heard that spirits absorb the heat and that is why its usually really cold during an encounter. Can't explain the scratchy throat though.

Is your dog acting normally around you now?

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by zeke
I have had several OBE`s and in the beginning they are very hard (at least for me!) to achieve. To me it doesn´t sound like an OBE, I have noticed that if you are a beginner in the field you have problems controlling your movements and where you want to go, in the beginning I found myself trying to "swim" in the direction I wanted to go.

I really think it depends on if you are a light sleeper or not. I sleep very hard, so for me, it just happens. There was one time I slept light, and could feel it happening *shiver* gave me the willies. But I can see how if you are a light sleeper how it would be very hard to achieve it. When I am out, i just kind of know where I want to go, and I go there. Kind of strange, because most of the places I want to go, I've never been there, something just kind of pulls me to those places. The nights that are a lot like conspiracy's happen because I want something but my body is too tired to go there....like the kitchen. Typically after I have been sick or after I have totaly exhausted myself.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Dae, thank you for sharing that experience. Do you still do this? I found it quite interesting that you mentioned your spirit didn't quite fit back into your body right.

It's funny you mention sleep paralysis becuase with my experiences with the shadow figures on both occasions I had sleep paralysis. This could make a little more sense in understanding these events.

mrsdudara, you seem very knowledgeable in this subject. I appreciate your time, honesty and sincerity. My next question would have to be what is the purpose of this? Is Astral Projecting and OBE the same thing? I heard some military man that I used to know speak of Astral Projection that was used in wars to spy on the enemy. I thought it might be possible but I also admit I was a tad skeptical as to the ability to do this.

zeke mentions that he feels this isn't an OBE due to the inability of beginners to move around. I wonder though, with all that has been said maybe this wasn't my first time. Can your Astral self train it's own self to move without your conscience? Do you have actual thoughts while you're not in your body? From Dae's experiences it sounds like you do. I wonder if I could just be blocking them out or not aware of them. I hope these questions and statements make sense as I am trying to piece the puzzle together. So many thoughts at the same time.

MrAndy I was confused by your statement, could you explain this. Or if someone else understands this. But yes the dog seems fine, no problems whatsoever.

[edit on 19-2-2007 by conspiracy_101]

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
mrsdudara I believe we must've been writing at the same time. I just read your other reply and I guess that would make sense.

[edit on 19-2-2007 by conspiracy_101]

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Hi Conspiracy_101. Thanks for sharing your experience. I've had many OBEs and I would be happy to share my thoughts on the subject.

There's a theory that we all OBE every night. According to this theory, whether or not we realize we're OBEing is a matter of just how aware and conscious we are at the time. People have varying degrees of awareness both in waking life and when they sleep. Some aren't able to remember their dreams at all (although research has proven we all dream), some have vivid dreams, some lucid dreams and some have OBEs.

The more aware we are the more control we have over our experiences whether we're awake or asleep. Sometimes awareness is something a person purposely works at by practicing any number of techniques. When you actively practice awareness this way eventually it carries over into your sleep.

Sometimes awareness can come unintentionally. Some people try to induce a higher state of awareness while asleep by lying flat on their backs to avoid getting too comfortable. I've heard of some people going to sleep thirsty in the hopes the desire to get a drink of water will keep them from sleeping too deeply. Perhaps your discomfort at being hot and thirsty brought on a higher state of awareness while you slept and triggered your OBE.

I thought with out of body experiences you went to other dimensions or some of that other sci fi stuff you hear, but I was stuck here at home (not realizing what was happening) doing my normal routine.

As I mentioned, there are varying degrees of awareness and the more aware you are the more control you have over your situation. When we have a Lucid dream we know we're dreaming and we can create/control our dream wold. When we OBE we're able to lift the veil and see beyond the dream world. Sometimes that's our present reality such as you experienced and sometimes it can be other dimensions.

This also got me to thinking about death, is this what would happen if you died? Would you not know it and wander about doing your same routine?

Some people theorize that this is what ghosts are. A spirit that hasn't realized it's no longer in the physical, or for what ever reason doesn't want to let go of it's physical life. I don't think you should needlessly worry too much about this happening to you. The fact that you're consciously thinking about these things in the first place shows you're aware to some degree. And after all, you see how long it took you to figure out something was unusual when you found yourself looking at your body. But if you should be concerned, I would simply start working on becoming more aware in your waking life. There's many techniques that can help you do this such as:

Mindfulness en.wikipedia.org...
Buddhism en.wikipedia.org...
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy en.wikipedia.org...

You'll find it has great benefits for both your waking and sleeping life.

As for the glass of water that wasn't there before. I've heard of instances where people were able to affect physical matter while in the OBE state but I 've never personally experienced this myself nor do I know anyone else who has. I would say that if such a thing is possible, it's probably a rare ablility. I wouldn't dismiss it altogether, but I would look at more probable explainations for it first.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth, I hope you find something usefull in it.
Happy Dreaming!

Mitzella

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I just wanted to say that I loved your story! I've only done this once, and it was just for a few fleeting seconds. And I wasn't in a relaxed state like you were.

Maybe the dog acted that way just to alert you, that he knew what was going on.

Great story!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join