It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Thread Flagging System

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
That's another great feature of this site, jbird.

The interactive development of new features.

And refinements along the way, based on members input.

kudos

[edit on 2/18/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The addition of parenthesis is also very helpful.

Nice touch.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
A new gauge to judge threads by I will call the new flag system. Not bad.

When can we expect it to be all implemented through out the forum lists?

As for now I only see it in "Todays posts" and there seems to be some glitch in the listing, page 2 repeating the last two hours from the previpus page, as page 3 does of page 2.

Just a user input. SO will get it fixed I'm sure.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I am now seeing much older threads of mine with many flags. Now surely someone didn't go in there and put flags on them? This leads me to believe that there are auto-flaggers?

Anyone else seeing that on your older threads? Just click on your name to get a list of all your threads...

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
I am now seeing much older threads of mine with many flags. Now surely someone didn't go in there and put flags on them? This leads me to believe that there are auto-flaggers?

Thanks eor hinting, TA.

Same do I now I check, all the way to my very first thread more than 5 months ago.

Funny thing there's no consistens between number of flags and replies/views on the ones flaged. Some little viewed, never replied threads get most flags

Don't think this could have been done by auto, someone must have stayed up all night flagging threads.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I'm guessing just temporary glitches, while SO , incorporates the new system.

Pointing out strangeness, may be helpful, but I'd imagine unfounded conclusions will not be appreciated.

just my .02

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I am speachless!!!

BRAVO

Every time, and I mean this!! Every time I thought that ATS was the best,
and most important site I had/have ever found something happens to
make it even better!!!

I love the idea.

I consider myself very fortunate to be a part of ATS.

That is all...

SkepticOverlord ---
You deserve the way above winner for February
and ATS deserves the Way Up
For all time...

THANK YOU ATS

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Great.... where was this when I was really sharp and witty before I turned 58?
Just my luck I can't recycle the "Springer Sprung" stuff again.

Seriously... NICE ADDITION GUYS!

Dave

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
I am now seeing much older threads of mine with many flags.

To avoid yet another addition to our giant database (now over 5 gigs), I've recycled the atribute previous used for our older defunct thread rating system, which was further recycled and used for ATSNN voting and upgrades.

While it will be valuable to take some time to flag your favorite older threads, this feature will be more important for the most relevant/brilliant recent and new threads.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Now does this flagging system work with PTS and BTS?

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy_101
Now does this flagging system work with PTS and BTS?

It doesn't yet.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Looking closer at my threads I now see it's only atsnn's, now called "breaking news" that has been flagged.

So I understand how its done from the votes given the submissions.

Thanks for clearing up.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
totally lost?

Why flag, still dont get it.

- If a post receives a lot of replies, is that not "flagging" to show what people are interested in
- Or post with tons of views another way to "flag" interest

Just not clear exactly the point of flagging (more like, dont understand what it is though I read the explanation...patient with me, I dont always catch on to the new trends)

Is it simply just a "vote", so something that you like, you click flag...and its like saying this is a cool thread? But that begs to ask, is this not what the first two points already do? (number of post and number of views...it reflects interest?)

Peace

dAlen

Also, Im confused about 3 home pages...but anyway...
Saw you reference to digg, etc., but Im not really sure what digg is about.
I see sometimes buttons say click to add digg, or whatevever, but havent looked into it really.

Does this connect to other site ranking sytstems or somethings to increase ATS exposure?

[edit on 19-2-2007 by dAlen]

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dave Rabbit
Great.... where was this when I was really sharp and witty before I turned 58?
Just my luck I can't recycle the "Springer Sprung" stuff again.

Seriously... NICE ADDITION GUYS!

Dave

Wish I could appreciate all the excitement, but I really dont get the 'importance' of the new feature - as mentioned by my post above.

Peace

dAlen

[edit on 19-2-2007 by dAlen]

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I think ATS is pulling a Bush on us. Diverting our attention from the ATSNN changes that everyone griped about earlier. Introduce a new thing...this'll get em to shut up and focus on something else.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 12:17 AM
link   
So I had my go at the flagging thing...Please see my post asking how this improves over just looking at number of replies or resonses to gauge interest?

I clicked the flag - page refresh...no vote added.
Clicked one more time, and the page was added, and flag disappeared.

Refreshed and another vote was added...it gave it 2 votes!

Is this a 'bugger'? Isnt it a one vote system? Got my 2 in...

Just fyi Im using mac and safari, so Im sure you will be able to troubleshoot S.O.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 12:20 AM
link   
It still comes down to personal opinion on whats important or interesting.

At the moment all I`m seeing is flag happy addicted people,playing with a new toy.

Kinda like the tags craze we had,but that chilled eventually.

I hope this chills soon and people start voting with flags sensibly,so it serves its desired purpose.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   
You know this same thing happened to me and once it even went to three votes. I agree with your previous posts, I thought the replies a thread got justified the popularity of it. Along with the views, it should've been enough. I don't quite get the relevence of this whole flag thing, it seems to me everything is flagged.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy_101
You know this same thing happened to me and once it even went to three votes. I agree with your previous posts, I thought the replies a thread got justified the popularity of it. Along with the views, it should've been enough. I don't quite get the relevance of this whole flag thing, it seems to me everything is flagged.

thank God...I thought I was starting to become some ancient relic, not able to catch onto the latest trends.

So I do understand it correctly, it is merely another way to say,"I like this."
Yeah, definitely think replies and views go a long way in saying that. Not sure I would flag and respond, I would think my response would be enough...so not sure how "accurate" it will be." - new trend I suppose.

I can see that if it tied into some rating system off the board, then it might be cool.
i.e., you flag it and you see the flag on other sites to draw more people here.

As far as tags, never got into that...so not that familiar with its usefulness.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Well...........................I thought 'Hey good idea'.........and I had a go at flagging some things...

...but then I LOOK at the recent posts board........and Springers thread of the John Lear moon pics has 2 flags and yet brand new threads about nothing of any true relevance have 4 flags and ZERO replies .....and that shows me it is not actually working.

Bummer.

I don't think its going to ADD anything of true value to the ATS board sorry but thats my honest opinion.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join