It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Thread Flagging System

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   

The Cunning Use Of Flags For a Better ATS

There is a new feature on ATS we've hinted about, and some members have already noticed: Thread Flagging. The new flagging tool appears on all threads, and looks like this:

Very similar to the ranking systems on DIGG and delicious, it enables you to flag threads you feel are important or interesting. Once you've flagged a thread, you cannot re-flag or remove your flag... you can only flag once:

Conquering The Web With Flags

While this might seem like a simple ranking system, it's a major aspect of giving our members control over new and important pages on ATS.

Before, during, and after the "Dark Matter" redesign, we engaged a lot of people for comments on the overall design, look-and-feel, and user experience of ATS. While we had a lot of positive comments on the new design, and forum layout on the board home page, we still have a significant problem for novice users, and users wanting to quickly gauge what's important on ATS -- the discussion board layout is designed for experienced users... not new users.

So we've been tackling the problem of:
1) How to better present the ATS home page, forum groups, and forum thread lists.
2) How to do #1 without "editorial bias" in a way that reflects the membership
3) How to do #1 and #2 without time-consuming effort so it's always fresh

The solution, Flags!

Each member who flags a thread increases its overall importance as compared to threads with fewer flags. We're developing brand new "home" pages for these:
1) Site home
2) Forum groupings
3) Forum thread listings

The new pages will provide a "short hand" version of what's hot, new, and important from all of ATS, down to individual forums. Your flags will have the most important influence on what is included in these new pages, and how the content is ordered and structured.

For the first time, you our members, will have direct influence on what appears on the home page. (timeliness and thread post-count will also have an important factor)

What's Next

Over the next two weeks, we'll be working on the design and layout of these new pages (we're not altering existing pages), and making any needed refinements in the flagging system.

After that, the ATS content presented to users who come to these new home pages is completely up to our members.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Well it's got a picture of the Izzard, so it can't be too bad

" "What is it, Lieutenant Sebastian?" "It's just the rebels, sir. They're here." "My God, man! Do they want tea?" "No, I think they're after something more than that, sir. I don't know what it is, but they've brought a flag." "Damn! That's dashed cunning of them!

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Seem like it might just be a good idea!

You guys might as well go ahead and close the thread I started inquiring about the flags...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Since this official announcement is up.

No need for the redundancy.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Simple question: Would it be considered poor form to flag one's own thread?

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I do have one question:

Is the flag column going to be put on the individual Forums thread list as well, or is it only going to be showing in the "Recent Posts" list?

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Interesting concept I guess I will be flagging all over now.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Thread flagging sounds like a good way to see what the ATS membership thinks is important. It may give you more insight in to the tastes of those who post here.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
Simple question: Would it be considered poor form to flag one's own thread?

Heck no. Consider that we have thousands of people viewing these pages. One flag won't make a critical difference.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justin Oldham
Thread flagging sounds like a good way to see what the ATS membership thinks is important. It may give you more insight in to the tastes of those who post here.

This brings up something else...

What about gangs of trolls and sock puppets? How would this affect the overall "ranking"?

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I think it's a good idea.

And what about negative flags, to mark those threads that are just garbage? I know it's harder to control but it could be a good thing too.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
One thing i must add:
This forum always keeps me surprised

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
hm nice but
where is the overview page that contains the top 100 flagged threads?

Somehow I miss something or haven't found it yet...

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

And what about negative flags, to mark those threads that are just garbage?

Speaking for myself of course. I can say that one mans garbage may well be another mans gold.

Take certain large threads in one of the more controversial forums here. There are many participants who would flag that thread, while the mainstream users here may not.

It's all a matter of opinion sometimes.

my 2 cents

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
How about points per flag, any incentive for getting more flags?

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by g210b
where is the overview page that contains the top 100 flagged threads?

Since we just started flagging, there's no point in such a thing yet.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I think this is a great idea. It gives each individual member the ability to vote for what they'd like to see prominently displayed on the Home Page.

Excellent

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Eddie and ATS! What a combination!!! I love it!!!

Great job - I look forward to seeing the results from this. ATS is making some great changes and this is what keeps ATS on top.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Hmmm... gonna take some time to reprogram my brain, me thinks.

Anybody else keep mistaking the Flag column for the Replies column, now?

Old habits die hard, I guess.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jbird
Hmmm... gonna take some time to reprogram my brain, me thinks.

Anybody else keep mistaking the Flag column for the Replies column, now?

Old habits die hard, I guess.

Seek and you shall find.

It appears that the mysterious powers that be, had listened to your call.

The flag column has been moved.

I am glad to see that also.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Sweet, hope it was as easy as it seemed, SO.

Dang , my knee's is gettin' sore, tonite!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join