It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

sleep disorders-ET connection?

page: 1
2

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I was recently diagnosed with a sleep disorder that I have had all my life, and I am 30 now, should have "grown out of it" by now. I had MRI and EEG tests that don't show any defects, and my neurologist says they're aren't fatal so don't worry about it. I a REM behavior disorder that makes me continue to move around when I should be paralyzed, but the more disturbing part is what they call hynopompic and hypnogogic hallucinations. I am not sure which is which, but they are hallucinations that occur either upon waking or when falling asleep. This sounds like a pretty simple thing, except that many of the things that I have "seen" are remarkable similar to what abduction experiencers recall. Also, there is a feeling of agitation upon waking, and waking is more like a sudden consciousness, like my body has been in action for awhile and my mind is just now catching up. Some incidents have been benign, anecdotal experiences, but some were utterly terrifying. Much happened early in life, probably from eight years old are my earliest memories, but my parents recall my antics from even earlier.
Later, when I was 18 or 19, I lived in a house where there was much activity that I attributed to ghosts, but now I am not sure. I remember laying in bed many nights and hearing the carpet crunching, the sound of someone walking to the foot of my bed, but nobody there. Also, I would fall aslleep with the radio low, and could hear something "under" the music. Maybe interference, but the two combined made for many scary nights. There was usually a feelig of dread ascending the stairs, and there was a small room at the top, like a small bedroom that led into another. That was probably the scariest place up there, and I would run up quickly and turn on my stereo to block out whatever it was. I had a couple of roommates that would mention the same feelings, so it isnt just paranoia.THe basement also had a feeling of menace, tension, I was never really comfortable down there. I am still strangely drawn to the house, and when I go back home to visit , I usually drive by and consider one day buying the place, even though it scared the crap out of me to live there. Any ideas out there? Sorry this is so rambly, I have just thought about this stuff for twenty years, and new things occur. I went to the neurologist a few months ago because the symptoms of my disorder had returned when I thought they were just about gone. ANyone have similar experience, or info to shed light?




posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I've gotten hallucinations when falling asleep. It hasn't happened very often but usually once a year when I'm really exhausted - 2 hours of sleep over 3 days. Almost the instant my head hits the pillow, I can hear this loud buzzing sine wave in my ears and I experience bright flashing patterns of light and geometric shapes on my retina. It's really freaky and my body feels like it's floating through space.
One of two things happens. Either I get so scared I literally jump out of bed and I'm wide awake again or I ride it out and eventually fall completely asleep.

From what I've read it has something to do with different lobes of your brain switching off "out of order". I can see how someone could interpret an event like this as alien abduction but we must be certain to explore all of the scientific medical explanations. Not very long ago, people with schizophrenia, epilepsy and other diseases were thought to be possessed by demons.



posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
You're totally right. I want to see if anyone knows anything more than what my paranoia suggests.



posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Well, when I first read the title, the first question that popped into my mind is...

How much do you believe in the abduction stories? How much do you believe in extraterrestrials in general?

I am think that your subconcsious is taking over and letting your mind see what you truly wish to believe in. I am not suggesting any psychological disorder, just maybe subliminal messages to yourself.


Thats my 1 and a half cents, and only an uneducated opinion.



posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
i suffer from sleep paralysis from time to time. never had it come across as an abduction experience, but i was marking it up to ghosts until i found out what it was. it seems to happen when i've had a tough couple a weeks at work(stress) and am sleep deprived. i've had some pretty scary things happen. felt as if my head was being pushed down in the pillow, feeling like i can't move or make a noise, feeling a presence over me and i've even seen a face looking at me that was lit with red light coming off the alarm clock. they all seem very real and scared the crap out of me. since i've figured out what causes it and what it is, i can usually remind myself that it's not real, but that doesn't always work. as recently as two months ago, i was just falling asleep and i reacted before i could rationalize the whole situation. i ended up punching my wall a few times because i saw a gopher looking creature between the wall and the bed. oh yeah, i'm 31 yrs old...if that helps ya any.

schaden, i have the strange lights and shapes when i close my eyes too. thanks for sharing that. i was starting to think that i was loosing it. i've been under a good amount of stress at home and work, and i barely get enough sleep.



posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I can't seem to find any pattern to it, and I have had medical exams that finds nothing "wrong" so I am reaching out for alternative answers or just to know that others are seeing things too. Tricks of the mind are easier to deal with than what others are experiencing. It is just unnerving to read things that are quite similar to my experiences from people that experience far worse things.
Yes Mechanic, I think we can all attribute experiences to subconscious thoughts. Some see aliens while others see ghosts and yet others see angels. SOme see nothing at all- is it lack of imagination or something else? Are some more open to the "unseen" or are people just really creative? I can't say for sure, I am an artist an live in the creative side of my brain full time.



posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by likzit
i suffer from sleep paralysis from time to time. never had it come across as an abduction experience, but i was marking it up to ghosts until i found out what it was. it seems to happen when i've had a tough couple a weeks at work(stress) and am sleep deprived. i've had some pretty scary things happen. felt as if my head was being pushed down in the pillow, feeling like i can't move or make a noise, feeling a presence over me and i've even seen a face looking at me that was lit with red light coming off the alarm clock. they all seem very real and scared the crap out of me. since i've figured out what causes it and what it is, i can usually remind myself that it's not real, but that doesn't always work. as recently as two months ago, i was just falling asleep and i reacted before i could rationalize the whole situation. i ended up punching my wall a few times because i saw a gopher looking creature between the wall and the bed. oh yeah, i'm 31 yrs old...if that helps ya any.

schaden, i have the strange lights and shapes when i close my eyes too. thanks for sharing that. i was starting to think that i was loosing it. i've been under a good amount of stress at home and work, and i barely get enough sleep.


All due respect... I know this is YOUR experience, and yours alone, my friend, but have you considered that you might be SUPPOSED TO THINK that "you've got it figured out"?

What if I had additional study data that shows you might want to lean more toward the side that says you've got abduction events ALL OVER YOUR MEMORY that you simply cannot see, b/c those memories have been masked ON PURPOSE?


RESERVE JUDGEMENT.

SPout



posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schaden
I've gotten hallucinations when falling asleep. It hasn't happened very often but usually once a year when I'm really exhausted - 2 hours of sleep over 3 days. Almost the instant my head hits the pillow, I can hear this loud buzzing sine wave in my ears and I experience bright flashing patterns of light and geometric shapes on my retina. It's really freaky and my body feels like it's floating through space.
One of two things happens. Either I get so scared I literally jump out of bed and I'm wide awake again or I ride it out and eventually fall completely asleep.

From what I've read it has something to do with different lobes of your brain switching off "out of order". I can see how someone could interpret an event like this as alien abduction but we must be certain to explore all of the scientific medical explanations. Not very long ago, people with schizophrenia, epilepsy and other diseases were thought to be possessed by demons.


SAME response. RESERVE JUDGEMENT.

WHAT IF there are literally THOUSANDS of other humans.... JUST LIKE YOU that have had these visual effects and feelings of motion... JUST LIKE YOU... only difference is they've had their "screensavers" removed and now have access to ALL their memories...

NO... I think there's a pretty good possibility you may have a wealth of information locked up inside of you of which you are simply UNAWARE.

You MAY BE simply "following the programming"... "this is what really happened. You don't think ET did this." That kind of thing..

Go research MKULTRA if you have a problem grasping the concept of mindcontrol and emotional/memory manipulation...

Seriously... Just as a precaution... You MIGHT want to look just a little closer...

Think about when you were a TEEN and were doing that little something that your parents just simply COULD NOT FIND OUT ABOUT... for many of us... THEY NEVER DID FIND OUT ABOUT IT....

If you fit that boat... even if you don't... you can grasp the concept. Don't you think THEY would try to conceal the evidence too? What ET isn't gonna have a MAFIOSO mind? How would YOU know? LOL!

See what I mean?

RESERVE JUDGEMENT.

SPout.



posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMayor
I can't seem to find any pattern to it, and I have had medical exams that finds nothing "wrong" so I am reaching out for alternative answers or just to know that others are seeing things too. Tricks of the mind are easier to deal with than what others are experiencing. It is just unnerving to read things that are quite similar to my experiences from people that experience far worse things.
Yes Mechanic, I think we can all attribute experiences to subconscious thoughts. Some see aliens while others see ghosts and yet others see angels. SOme see nothing at all- is it lack of imagination or something else? Are some more open to the "unseen" or are people just really creative? I can't say for sure, I am an artist an live in the creative side of my brain full time.


HERE'S THE TRICK.

Modern Medicine is NOT going to be able to explain it. Why? Because THEY gave you MODERN MEDICINE... And NO I don't beg proof who discovered xrays, or who invented the scalpal... whatever... horsehockey.

IRRELEVENT.

THEY are IN YOUR HEAD. THEY have been there for literally THOUSANDS of years. THEY were working on this deception before YOU or any other living breathing human HERE was ever a glimmer in their mothers' eyes'.

WE, on the other hand, are SO ARROGANT that we REALLY believe we can come into a place like this and simply DENY everything. LOL!!!!

It's funny...

I've never been to Antarctica... but I know it's there.
I've never been to the Moon... but I know it's there.
I've never been to the ocean floor in the middle of the Pacific... but I know it is there...

And for you...

I would probably venture to apply something like this:

YOU have never been abducted... but I know you have.... LOL!

Are you IRISH? CELT? NATIVE AMERICAN? I bet it's in there, isn't it? LOL

SPout

RESERVE JUDGEMENT



posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Southpaw,
Interesting. Do you feel you have had the same experience? You are not inquisitive, you seem very firm in your knowledge. I am not, that is why I started this thread. SOmething has been wrong for a very long time, and I have always felt strange around other people, like very seperate because of my nighttime peculiarities. And I have always known there was something more to all of this (plane of existence) but what? I search through religious text and can't seem to get comfortable in any of those, I also read through alien stuff and just get frustrated, thinking there is so much that we don't or can't know.
I would be interested in reading much more about your take on sleep episodes, if you know anything more.
Thanks for everyone's posts!



posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This should explain most of the dreams and sleep disorders and hallucinations...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 19-2-2007 by Nerve]



posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Wow, Nerve,
You must be a neurologist. My doctor hasn't told me anything about this, and I have asked ALOT of questions. I am sure that the folks that have been abducted would be thrilled to know that all this time it was a simple glitch in their chemistry, a simple imbalance in some fluids in the brain. This does not in any way explain it, it is a possibility, but then the question arises then "what are 'they' doing here, if not to study us?" Are they just joy riding around, thought they'd buzz the planet, start a little panic in the stupid human population, and then leave? Have you read any accounts by people that Budd Hopkins or John Mack have interviewed? THe incidents sometimes take hours, how would a chemical imbalance explain all of the experiences? Now, sure, waking up still fuzzy and seeing a shadow that looks like a person, then you realize it isn't, a quick moment of concern, this I can understand. But the missing time? Burns? Puncture marks? People waking up with their clothes on backwards, or not even in the right bed? There seems to be some compelling evidence in what you describe, and for some, that may very well be the case. But for others, there is simply too much going to be a "figment of the imagination".



posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I know you must be tired from losing all that sleep with that disorder and you are probably grumpy so I will let your attitude go this time... But it is 100% true. Although I did state that this does not apply to all cases, it does apply to most. These dreams go on all through the night. The person does not have control. They wake up for a few seconds and are surprised to see this weird dream world around them, kind of like if you woke up to a bad dream, but this dream continues when you fall back to sleep. It makes perfect sense. All people are paralyzed (unless you sleep walk) so they do not move around while they sleep and hurt themselves. And if the person is to awake while the drug is still in affect the hallucinations are so real the " abductees" will probably believe what they are seeing. I'm not sure if you checked out the links I provided (you were probably catching up on some sleep however,) if you take some time its all there. But yes there are special cases.

[edit on 19-2-2007 by Nerve]



posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Nerve,
Many apologies for my attitude. All my life I have been basically patted on the head and told it's "no big deal", totally dismissing the problem. THat has made me a little "grumpy", so I will try to draw that back. I am still a "sleep walker" of sorts, where my body does not paralyze at all, and I continue to move and act out my dreams. It has caused guilt, confusion, and terror in my life, and it just happens to really coincide with abduction scenarios. I do appreciate your post, and your patience with a sleep-deprived grump.
If you have more, please offer. I will try to be more receptive.



posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Agreed, I will admit I do not understand why some people do not become paralyzed and I will also admit I have never got up and walked around while I am asleep myself. I am just saying I have read many reports of the effects of dreams on the mind. I myself have had terrible nightmares where I awake up scared out of my mind but then I come to my senses. But for others they will wake up for a very short time (seconds) with the REM and '___' effects still in place. Now of course there are probably many others reasons for other sleep disorders but I just found it intresting that most "abductees" report being paralyzed (REM sleep) and they see these supreem beings ('___'). After all you would go crazy and die if you didn't dream. For some reason the mind must constantly be thinking and seeing inorder to stay sane. Any sleep is good sleep. As you said I am not a neurologist but I feel I have done enough research to state these facts with confidence.



posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Thanks Nerve,
Brain chemistry is an odd thing, a very precise thing that seems easy to get out of whack. I brought this topic up because certain experiences of mine do not coincide with abduction stuff, but are equally bizarre. I often "come to" in the middle of an action, but no memory of the dream. I was having a series of events where I would wake up and not even recognize my wife- it's not that I didn't know my wife's face, it is that she looked different somehow. I know these are just stories, I am telling you like you're my shrink or something. All I know is that chemicals in the brain are doing things, but I am positive about abduction scenarios as well. THen, there is me, and where I fit in, because my experience isn't really fitting in well with basic disorders or abductions. Anyway, thanks for your input.




top topics



 
2

log in

join