It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yes Virginia, there IS AIR ON THE MOON! So is J.Lear right??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Here's an article I just found at Space.com that's entitled:
"Earth's Air Trapped in Moon Dirt, Scientist Speculates"
Space.com

So if there's air in the dirt and rocks on the moon, does this open the possibility that future man-made underground bases on the moon may be able to extract that nitrogen found in those materials to be able to breathe up there without having to wear oxygen masks?

Makes me wonder if what John Lear has been saying all along that there's air on the moon is in actuality correct. It appears to be so! Certainly this information in this article seems to lend some support to his contention on this. And who knows what more information scientists will come up with on this subject matter as more time goes by?

[edit on 18-2-2007 by Palasheea]

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
If you could please post the link to the article, we'd appreciate it. Thanks!

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
If you could please post the link to the article, we'd appreciate it. Thanks!

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Lol, forgot to include the link but just added it to my first post. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Palasheea
does this open the possibility that future man-made underground bases on the moon may be able to extract that nitrogen found in those materials to be able to breathe up there without having to wear oxygen masks?

The article never mentions oxygen....I can't even find the word 'oxygen' on the entire page.

We need oxygen. What do we have after extracting nitrogen? A bunch of nitrogen....no oxygen.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I didn't say oxygen... I said nitrogen. Read my post again.

Edit: Oh, ok, I see what you are talking about. You are correct that the article only mentions nitrogen but I'm assuming that because Space.com knows their readership, they left out some basic information in that article because they are assuming that only eggheads read their site and already know what they are talking about.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   

So if there's air in the dirt and rocks on the moon, does this open the possibility that future man-made underground bases on the moon may be able to extract that nitrogen found in those materials to be able to breathe up there without having to wear oxygen masks?

Altough the title talks about "air", the article only talks about nitrogen.

And this is only a hypothesis, not a certainty.

To be able to breath without oxygen masks what is needed is oxygen, not nitrogen. Even if nitrogen is the most common element in Earth's air, what we need is the oxygen, preferably with some nitrogen and water vapour.

Makes me wonder if what John Lear has been saying all along that there's air on the moon is in actuality correct. It appears to be so! Certainly this information in this article seems to lend some support to his contention on this. And who knows what more information scientists will come up with on this subject matter as more time goes by?

To me it does not.

Even if there was air trapped in the Moon's rocks we cannot breath rocks, we still need a way of extracting the air from the rocks, and if the air was in the rocks it certainly is not on the Moon's atmosphere in a volume that can be used by human beings.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
You've brought up some excellent points ArMap but the fact that scientists are even speculating that there's even nitrogen up there -- well, it will be interesting to keep an eye on this research to see if they come up with more speculations about what can possibly be found in the dirt and rocks on the moon.
Even if they don't find oxygen, at least there's always a chance they may find some way to extract the nitrogen from at the moon's soil without having to transport that along with oxygen to to supply air in closed man-made environments on the moon.
But for now let's see what more information they can find on this. I'm just amazed that there's even nitrogen up there! This is me is an awesome speculation!

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   

You've brought up some excellent points ArMap but the fact that scientists are even speculating that there's even nitrogen up there -- well, it will be interesting to keep an eye on this research to see if they come up with more speculations about what can possibly be found in the dirt and rocks on the moon.

They are not speculating about the presence of Nitrogen on the Moon's rocks, they know that the rocks have Nitrogen, they are speculating about the reason why those rocks have more Nitrogen that they should have if we only use the known origins of the Nitrogen on the Moon.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Right ArmaP -- and they are finding more and more new things everyday. But the only way they are going to be certain about what ever speculations they have concerning the moon, based on those samples brought back by the Apollo missions, would be for us to go back to the moon and collect more information to support those speculations that are being made now.

For me it's enough to go back there to find out how long the moon has been up there and to get samples of what the Earth was like some 4 billion years ago where we may find that there was in fact life on Earth during that time and before it. We also may be able to determine if those specimens are extraterrestrial; meaning that life on Earth originated from other planets. I can only hope that we go back sometime in my lifetime because I'm very curious to find out more about what the moon can tell us.

As for the writer of that article saying that scientists are speculating that there's air trapped in the soil up on the moon -- we don't know if he was only allowed to say that in the title of that article and nothing more.

It could also be that this was agreed upon by him and those sources who provided this information to him -- or that his sources were strongly implying to him that this was the case (air on the moon) where he went ahead and gave that article the title that he did. I would not be surprised if this is the case in this situation.

The bottom line is this writer gave that article the title that he did for a reason. And it's the title of that article that we should all be paying attention to.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   

The bottom line is this writer gave that article the title that he did for a reason. And it's title of that article that we should all be paying attention to.

Frankly, no.

See for yourself the misleading titles of some threads here on ATS.

The title is usually made to make people notice the article, and the article has the real information. That does not mean that in this case the reverse isn't true, that the article is lacking information given on the title, but I seriously doubt that.

After a little search I found the original Nature article, but as I do not have a subscription I can only read the title, "Moon soils store Earth's early breath".

Only then did I noticed that this is from August 2005.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   
If they should happen to find water on the moon.....perhaps below the surface, as this site mentions, that would provide the needed oxygen.

By the way, do you have a link to further info on Lear's belief about air on the moon......I've missed that, but have just begun reading the Lear threads....Thanks!

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Umm... John Lear's a fraud. I personally don't take his account on anything.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
John Lear said that there are people, hundreds of towers (one that catches our souls as well), a whole breathable atmosphere on the moon, and mining going on. So no...this article doesn't even begin to back up what John Lear says! lol.

[edit on 18-2-2007 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
We can't breath it...There could be any of a thousand combinations of types of air that are stored in the minerals on the Moon. We could be on the Moon drilling for space oil or what ever. But we will be wearing breathing suits.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I might be dead wrong or right, don't know but I have a weird feeling recently. Something is going on guys.
First they come up with the "leak' about Mars having traces of water and the waterruns down the slopes of a certain place in Mars. At the same time the ufo wave seams out of 'control'. Everyday we read about sightings in the very populated ares. Ufo's seam to have gone wild. Now they just spilled the beans about the Moon. What in the name of God is going on?
Recently I've installed a F2ATV satellite (Dish Network) and I enjoy watching History Channel and SciFi. I know that they have quit often shows about ufos but today in History Channel they had the whole afternoon from 1 o'clock to 7 o'clock only about ufos. Are we being ready for a 'disclosure' ?

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Space.com

its a far cry from nitrogen in rocks to a breathable atmosphere as john lear states. Never having been on the moon myself I'll reserve judgement as to how accurate these statements are. All im saying is dont presume to stretch your facts to fit theories.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
How about oxegenated elements?iron, or whatever may be endemic to moon soil?
Whenthe material tore away why would the nitogen only mix with the soil, and the other gasses not also chemically combine some way?
So if nitrogen why not oxygenated substances from which the suspended oxy could be extracted either with chemicals or heat?
Iron being common on earth, and having had also a longer chance to become iron oxide?Can a real chemist help me here i am floundering.....
If the stuff is molten, and atears away some of the atmosphere wouldnt the oxy be the first to be chemically combined with conbustables or moltens?perhaps aluminium ore or copper ore?all kinds of combos really.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I agree with Telos. I used to look forward to seeing UFO shows, they seemed so rare, now it seems like they're on every day. The melting ice on mars and some sort of air on the moon, I think this is deffinately going somewhere.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Space.com

I don't think you caught the part of the article where it explained just how LITTLE there is in lunar rocks.

This does tend to confirm the "Earth got whacked with something huge and that caused the formation of the Moon" theory. But as little air as there is in the rocks, you'd have to process the whole crust just to get enough of an atmosphere to fill a small church building (at normal sea level air pressure.)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join