It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian government is planning Cradles plan for unwanted girls

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Here is a supposed country wanting to be a first world country that wants to put cradles out for people who do not want there own children.

Cradles plan for unwanted girls

The Indian government is planning to set up a network of cradles around the country where parents can leave unwanted baby girls.
The minister for women and child development, Renuka Chowdhury, told BBC News the cradles would be "everywhere".

It is the latest initiative to try to wipe out the practice of female foeticide and female infanticide.

A girl child is often viewed as inferior to a boy. A bride's dowry can also cripple a family financially.

That hindu religion really breeds so much warmth, doesn't it. Imagine the west is trying to bring hindu culture to the west to take over from christian values.

Female Demographic Disadvantage in India 1981-1991
What has changed for girls in India in the decade since Beijing and Cairo?
A programme without a plan

Even though the demographic implications in india, are important how do you guys feel this presents india as a country who says that it will become a great power one day.

Could anyone here imagine leaving there own kid, in a cradle, and just walking away, just because she is a girl. The thing is that these people try to project there religious values onto the west, and the west does not even consider what sort of country india is.

what do you members think

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Thats sick, but it happens in other countries as well. In China women are supposedly getting illegal abortions if they know their baby is a girl, because of the one-child policy and the idea that females are far inferior to males.

If misogyny continues and spreads like this, eventally the entire world will be a sausage fest. This is what happens when you don't allow women to do anything but have babies; They are no longer seen as good investments by their own parents. Its not that they can't do other things, its that they aren't permitted too.

Women have arms and legs and brain matter just like men, they aren't walking wombs; they are humans WITH wombs. Human beings. I don't think some men quite understand that humanity is not limited to male humans only.
And here is another detestable result of sexism. Good job humanity.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Here is a supposed country wanting to be a first world country that wants to put cradles out for people who do not want there own children.

Don't other countries [including the west and Russia] have 'drop off' facilities as well? I doubt they're the first. IMO it's a very good idea and might help change sub cultures which deem girl babies a burden.

That hindu religion really breeds so much warmth, doesn't it.

..yet you haven't mentioned any other part of it. If throwing away girl babies was what it is based on.. you'd have a point but it seemes this is more a cultural problem than a religious one.

Imagine the west is trying to bring hindu culture to the west to take over from christian values.

Fundamental 'christian values' consider women to be evil [the whole eve thing].. I'm not sure how you can elevate it [morally] above hinduism given it's very bloody and sexist history.

Even though the demographic implications in india, are important how do you guys feel this presents india as a country who says that it will become a great power one day.

Good luck to em.

Could anyone here imagine leaving there own kid, in a cradle, and just walking away, just because she is a girl.

Happens all the time in the west.. and if the mother can only forsee poverty and abuse for her daughter maybe she's trying to do the best thing for her daughter.

The thing is that these people try to project there religious values onto the west,

I'm only really familiar with buddhism.. it's the most civilised belief system I have come across thus far.

and the west does not even consider what sort of country india is.

What 'sort' of country is India?

[edit on 18-2-2007 by riley]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
That people would get rid of a child because she is a girl. I say one loss is another ones gain. If they were willing to give her up like that because she was a girl, then they didn't deserve her anyway. They will get theirs when the meet the Mother Goddess Karnimata in the afterlife.

At least their are drop off stations instead of some of the reports I have heard of were they are sold, or killed. Maybe with luck they will end up with someone who will love them.

new topics

top topics

join