It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Send Mixed Signals About Science

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

What does everyone think about this?

I don't think that UFO's & ET's should be in the same category as astrology, lucky #'s & horoscopes. Do you???

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Yes, I do. Also, did you read the whole article? Down the bottom it points out that quite a few people don't realise that Astrology and horoscopes are ~ the same thing. However, I definetly don't believe that Creationism should be considered a science, it's a philosophy because it's assumptions cannot be tested. On the other hand, Evolution is a scientific theory.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 01:10 AM
link   
The article is interesting, since there is more understanding of science than before, but also increases in some types of pseudoscience.

Most ufo 'studies' are really just pseudoscience, just like astrology or creationism, so its a correct placement.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 01:54 AM
link   
i was just about to post a thread on this, luckily i saw this. i completely agree and am going to probably write one of the fiercest emails ever to them to even put ET in with astrology. maybe somene should send them a link to the 450 military eyewitnesses that the disclosure project has. blah blah blah conspiracy nut this, space alien that nooo not extraterrestrial SPACE ALIEN like its something off of alf. good i hope its on the rise so we can shove it in their faces one day

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 02:38 AM
link   
They better start grouping religion with psuedoscience and not just creationism; enough of this 'aliens are for whackos and nut-jobs, but a judgemental man-God and a satanic deciever are totally normal and healthy to believe in!'

Because your daddy told you if you don't believe in it, you'll burn in hell.

[edit on 18-2-2007 by BallOfPopulation]

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by BallOfPopulation
They better start grouping religion with psuedoscience and not just creationism; enough of this 'aliens are for whackos and nut-jobs, but a judgemental man-God and a satanic deciever are totally normal and healthy to believe in!'

I totally agree.

Our society has its own unwritten rules on what is acceptable and what isn't regarding beliefs and it seems that affirmative belief in ET visitation is second only to the most popular organized religions for subject of attack. Thats the nature of the beast though.

IMO, many just feel it safer to mock this subject than religion simply because its "safer" given its smaller size, total disorganization, and a very light historical record of violent acts associated with it.

[edit on 18-2-2007 by Frith]

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I guess what really gets me is the following quote:

The share that believed aliens had visited Earth fell from 25 percent in 1983 to 15 percent in 2006.

Because on Space. com I got the following from a survey done in 2005:

While most depictions of extraterrestrials are confined to science fiction, nearly two-thirds of Americans believe that some form of alien life exists somewhere in the universe, according to a new survey.

So how does that make it 25%??

This quote is also quite interesting to me b/c how do you explain the carbon dating on human bones???

But there also has been a drop in the number of people who believe evolution correctly explains the development of life on Earth and an increase in those who believe mankind was created about 10,000 years ago.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Unfortunately, I have to agree that Ufology has been, and will continue to be in the cateogory of pseudoscience. Mainstream science has, and will continue to use empirical methodology as the basis of science. The subject of UFOs and aliens, therefore, comes under religious beliefs. It is a matter of belief. This is basically what Dr. Jacques Vallee, the world's top-most authority on the UFO phenomenon, in my opnion, postulates. It is a belief system. Yes, it is still a mystery, just like the search for God or the search for what is truth. This does not mean that the UFO phenomenon does not exist.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by BallOfPopulation

Because your daddy told you if you don't believe in it, you'll burn in hell.

[edit on 18-2-2007 by BallOfPopulation]

I agree also, excellent post.

new topics

top topics

join