It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Rejects Renewed Effort to Debate Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com

Today’s vote was the second time Senate Republicans were able to deny opponents of the war a debate on a resolution opposing the Bush administration’s military strategy.

Related News Links:
www.hillnews.com
www.ctv.ca

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Why are they arguing over debating on a resolution that is non-binding, when they could be arguing over whether or not to recall the troops right now?

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
this war is turning into a right mess, and the democrats just are sending the wrong messages out. i wonder how the troops in iraq, feel that they are not fully backed by there people back home.

if they did not want the war they should not of started it iin the first place. democrats are making a really bad position for themselves, and if they win next year, what are they going to do then.

capital hill showed the country and the world it has no real power, and the president can do what he wants, and he knows it.

df1

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
i wonder how the troops in iraq, feel that they are not fully backed by there people back home.

This is partisan whining straight off of Fox News. The troops want to be with their families and loved ones back home. They want the uninformed public that are tucked away safely in their homes to stop cheering & encouraging this military fiasco already.

[edit on 17-2-2007 by df1]

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Why are they arguing over debating on a resolution that is non-binding, when they could be arguing over whether or not to recall the troops right now?

Exactly. This a political move, pure and simple. The Democrats think they can score points by voting for this non-binding resolution without the costs of actually voting to defund the troops or anything else meaningful.

I'm glad that the Republicans have been able to thwart their efforts.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Exactly!! This resolution is akin to playing poker for fun...

Putting your "chips" on the line means nothing when the chips are worthless.

If these members of congress are serious then Their resolutions need to be SERIOUS.

I have my opinions on the war and do not wish to see our troops put in the middle, but I understand that it is a hot, and honest debate.

Congress needs to stop playing games with our fighting forces, stirring up a political hornet's nest (with no chips on the line).

Man (or Woman) UP!!!! I think risking a political life standing on your views of the war is much more honorable than risking our soldiers' lives going "all-in" with plastic chips and plastic non-binding resolutions......

new topics

top topics

join