It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayan 2012 = December 2007?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
www.coasttocoastam.com...

im not into the big prophecy thing but i thought some people might be interested to at least look at it

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I wish I knew how to read the mayan calender

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
so why are they adding some random numbers? Then they subtract from each other, why?

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
yeah, that thing is pretty ridiculous!

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I thougth it was the biggest load of garbage I have read today but then I remembered the Gregorian Calander is reputed to be out by 5 years from the Mayan Long count calander.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
All right!!

Everyone sing along...

"It's the end of the world as we know it....."

w00t!

I guess we'll all have to wait for 2012 to pass, before these rumours subside.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
but it says the end of the world is in 1 year omg

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
"However, the Apocalypse technically refers to the unveiling of God, and not to the destruction of the world"

think about that one

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I dont think 2012=2007 bcause its not the mayan calendar that doesnt say 2012 is the return of Quetzalcoatl

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
And when it happens, I'll give three snaps to the left and a 360 table-top
side spin. Right...

Lex

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Damn u beat me to it
, but the calculations seem interesting ive been wondering to my self the anticipation of it being real or not is killing me.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I don't know it looks really fake to me.

I mean Hebrew in South America?

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   
The Mayan Long Count start date is translated to 3114 BC on the Gregorian calendar. The Long Count calendar has a span of 5,125 years, which an exact end date translated to December 21, 2012 on the gregorian calendar. That is also the winter solstice. There are 13 baktuns that make up one Long Count term. We are approaching the close of the 13th baktun.

The Mayans had a keen eye for astronomy and that is clearly shown in their extremely accurate calendar. People think it is especially curious that the Mayans were able to account for the Earth's precession in their calendar, which is why it was so accurate. The truth is that the Mayans did not know about precession. I believe they were tracking the various orbital patterns of our neighboring planets, or perhaps the winter and summer solstice. Nonetheless, a very advanced knowledge for a culture long since past.

To my knowledge, Mayan texts and stories note the ending and beginning of the long count cycle at the same time. There is no great change. At the end of the day, the Mayan calendar was just another way to keep time.

I took a look at the link supplied. I've never actually listened to Coast to Coast, so it was an interesting site to browse through. I'm not a mathematician, but i don't understand the logic behind the equations in the link. i don't understand how adding the individual numbers in 2007 to get 9 would bring anyone to the conclusion that 2007 is actually the calendar end date.

Interesting nonetheless!

[edit on 2/18/2007 by The Cyfre]

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I heard that when one English king was corinated he moved the calandar ahead 3 years starting the next day. Also, the Gregorian calandar was moved up 11 days making the most holy day of the Illuminati, the Feast of St. John, move from June 23/24th to.. July 4th.

So, come December 21st 2012, whatever is supposed to happen would have already happened, or maybe wont happen for a few of years because of all the calandar shuffling. Or... maybe all the moving of dates was a cosmic coincidence forcing the dates to eventually line up exactly with the Mayan calandar!!! *cue dramatic music*

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Those are interesting stories. I haven't heard them before, but i wouldn't put it past humanity to do something stupid like that!

I'm posting a link to an article that helped me to understand the technical aspects of 2012 a lot more, and helped me to realize that while it is very special and noteworthy, it isn't going to signify the end of the world. Keep in mind, when the Mayan Long Count calendar ends, it goes back to zero.

Why 2012?

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Dudes, people are freaking about because of this.
They're even saying that a galactic cosmic wave is approaching fast and will hit us in March (yepa, few days away).

Pretty cool, doom reschedule.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
the numbers make sense but it is pretty random. I don't think there is anything to worry about. People just want to have something to worry about is all

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I think everyone should come down. The Mayans never predicted the end of the world. They believed that every so often the Earth had 'ages', and its the current age which is going to end, not life itself. They just weren't around long enough to predict the beginning of the next, thanks to the Spanish invaders.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
not only did they know about the new age coming but also knew the exact date of the beginning of the world. they look at huge cycles of movements of stars. just as the planets have a rotation around the sun, the sun is in a binary orbit around another sun. this rotation effects the rise and fall of civilizations just as the earth rotating around the sun effects the seasons. every 24 thousand years the orbit is complete. it will have made a complete cycle in 2012. this video describes the great year really well.

video.google.com...

[edit on 18-2-2007 by Funkydung]

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Funkydung
not only did they know about the new age coming but also knew the exact date of the beginning of the world. they look at huge cycles of movements of stars. just as the planets have a rotation around the sun, the sun is in a binary orbit around another sun. this rotation effects the rise and fall of civilizations just as the earth rotating around the sun effects the seasons. every 24 thousand years the orbit is complete. it will have made a complete cycle in 2012.

The beginning of the world did not start in 3114 BC. This was only the beginning of the 13th and final Baktun in the Long Count Calendar. What happens at the end? The calendar starts at zero.

The Nemesis star, while very very interesting, hasn't been discovered and there has been no evidence to suggest it even exists. The projected orbital pattern of this red or brown dwarf star is usually 1-3 light years from earth. There is no binary star system with an orbital pattern like this, not that we have discovered in our search of the universe. Of course this doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but lack of evidence sure doesn't mean we have found it.

Tunin! There is no galactic cosmic wave headed for our solar system. I too have read about the "photon belt" that stands at one end of our Milky Way like a gate that our solar system (and earth) passes through every 26,000 years, approximately. There is no evidence to support this photon belt. I believe the whole idea is that all this cosmic radiation will shower us, and will change our DNA, thus allowing us to become more evolved, or posthuman. In truth, we only know that cosmic radiation is dangerous. If our athmosphere didn't have a protective covering, we would be bombarded with cosmic radiation, and life on earth wouldn't be able to exist.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join