It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

89 Pontiac Safari Problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I just got this car yesterday. The engine seems pretty well maintained. There are several new parts that have been put into the car rather recently. The engine seems to run ok except for this little problem

I step on the gas the car stalls and the service engine soon light comes on.

I have my suspicions that this vehicle has sat arround for a while and the gas is bad in it. So I have been driving it arround the back streets trying to empty the gas tank so I can put better quality gas in it.

So a friend comes over and we take a look he recomends getting a new air filter and a new fuel filter.

Air filter (easy even I know how to chainge this.
) Done

Fuel Filter (I got the part, now I have no Idea where to put it.) the part he pointed out as a fuel filter is not that but a PCV valve well I think, I ordered a new one. Bout 4 bucks so even if it's not that im not too far out of pocket.

I also need help cleaning the carburator, Is this a pain in the butt? I don't know.

Anyway those plus an oil chainge seem to be in order for my car at this point. Other thain that. Belts are all new, new alternator, new battery new other parts so thats all good.

Any Help would be apreciated.

[edit on 17-2-2007 by whatukno]

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 12:51 AM
link   
The fuel filter should be underneath the van inside one of frame rails.

Unless you posess moderate mechanical skills, i wouldn't rec. rebuilding your carb yourself. It's a dead technology and there are less people that know anything about them every day.

My advise would be to take it to a trusted shop, have them inspect the fuel system. Test the fuel pressure, Have a decarb service done, and depending upon the findings a basic tune-up.

If your low on money take it somewhere that does free inspections, then buy all the parts and do it yourself if you think your up to it.

Most auto parts store will have a manual that goes through basic maintenance procedures. Chiltons, Haynes, ect.

Good luck and lemme know if you have any questions.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
I also need help cleaning the carburator, Is this a pain in the butt? I don't know.

Cleaning shouldn't be too hard. Rebuilding it will probably suck...a lot.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by PlausibleDeniability

Cleaning shouldn't be too hard. Rebuilding it will probably suck...a lot.

This is an 89 Safari. It is a GM minivan which does not have a carb - it has a throttle body with fuel injectors. Their is nothing on the throttle body that can be "rebuilt" as a matter of maintenance. To fix this the owner needs to figure out why the engine is stalling.

You really need to check your trouble codes.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 05:44 AM
link   
let me clarify what kind of Safari I have here

89 Pontiac Safari Station Wagon

sorry for the confusion. probably doesnt make too much difference but there you are...

oh yes it defenatly has a carburator. I at least know what that looks like. Sorry guys Im a computer geek not a mechanic that was my brothers occupation

[edit on 24-2-2007 by whatukno]

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Are you sure? Throttle body injection looks similar to a carburetor . Take the air filter off and look down the hole. If its TBI there should be an injector right in the middle.

That picture doesn't look like a minivan either =P I know what a GMC Safari is, never heard of a Pontiac safari station wagon though.

EDIT: and find out what the code is thats causing that light to come on

[edit on 2/24/2007 by PlausibleDeniability]

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
And how do I find this code? I doubt I have the correct program or connection on my laptop to hook into this car.

It is a Pontiac Safari least thats what is says on the back of the car and on the glove compartment, and the paperwork.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   

And how do I find this code? I doubt I have the correct program or connection on my laptop to hook into this car.

It is a Pontiac Safari least thats what is says on the back of the car and on the glove compartment, and the paperwork.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the mini van, but thats okay. Not sure when they started using fuel injection on different makes and models, but you certainly have a computer controlled carb. It is a quadra-jet with an electronic metering valve attached to it.

........but, to check your codes is quite simple. Below your dash board on the left side of the steering column you will find a small connector called an assembly line diagnostic test connector.

Go to the link below for a good visual on the pin configuration of the connector and the associated codes. It is quite simple to extract the codes on older GM models.

1986 pontiac codes and connector diagram

With the ignition off, insert a paperclip or small piece of wire into the connector between pins A & B. What you are doing is grounding the test pin forcing the computer to show the stored codes. (If you have disconnected the cars battery at any time the codes will be erased until a new code is stored).

With the wire or paper clip installed, turn your ignition key on (not cranking). The check engine light will blink the first digit of the code with a pause then the second digit, then a longer pause and the next stored code. It will repeat this and then start over again. I believe it will always store a 12 or something like that as there is no signal to the computer that the engine is on. (Don't quote me on the 12 code, it may be a different one).

Count the flashes of the check engine light for both digits and all the stored codes (write them down). Compare it to a service manual for the make and year of your car. The codes vary somewhat from year to year.

[edit on 24-2-2007 by ben91069]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I remember having a 86 Olds and rebuilt the carb it had like 140 tiny parts to it,if your not mechanically inclined would suggest buying a rebuilt one,check the vacuum pipe on the right side it's a bronze color,they have a tendency to have a big hole in them,there was a recall for this,only way you can see hole is by taking it off,easy fix and a dealer might do it for free

new topics

top topics

join