It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norovirus Cases on the Rise + Prevention Tips

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I was catchin up on the news online and found an article on a norovirus outbreak in Portsmouth, Virginia so I did a little searching and was surprised to see how many norovirus outbreaks are going on in the US, Canada,and other points on the globe.

While reading up on this infectious disease, it is a fairly common sickness this time of the year. It is not a usually fatal sickness but I found one article from Washington state that says a 2nd child has died from the norovirus.

Anyway, I am linking to the stories I found (mind you all reports are post FEB12, 2007), I didn't go back further than this nor did I link every story, google norovirus yourself and see how many recent stories there are right now, it surprised me.

Virginia
North Carolina
California
Montana
Illinois
Rhode Island
Georgia
Trin ity College
California
Hong Kong
United Kingdom
Canada
WA 2nd Death

In addition I went to the CDC site and posting their prevention tips to help prevent the spread of this norovirus.

Can norovirus infections be prevented?
You can decrease your chance of coming in contact with noroviruses by following these preventive steps:

Frequently wash your hands, especially after toilet visits and changing diapers and before eating or preparing food.
Carefully wash fruits and vegetables, and steam oysters before eating them.
Thoroughly clean and disinfect contaminated surfaces immediately after an episode of illness by using a bleach-based household cleaner.
Immediately remove and wash clothing or linens that may be contaminated with virus after an episode of illness (use hot water and soap).
Flush or discard any vomitus and/or stool in the toilet and make sure that the surrounding area is kept clean.
Persons who are infected with norovirus should not prepare food while they have symptoms and for 3 days after they recover from their illness (see food handler information sheet). Food that may have been contaminated by an ill person should be disposed of properly.

This could be normal but I wanted to let my friends on ATS read and protect themselves from what appears to be a threat to our health....

ED: spelling

[edit on 2007/2/17 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Thanks Jack for that information and link.
My mother-in-law just contracted it, as she lives in a 4 star assisted care facility. It must have spread through the food, as she did not leave her apartment during the outbreak. Out of 250 residents, 120 are now infected! IT is a powerful virus and dangerous for the elderly.

join