It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets get rid of Major Organized Religion.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I say it causes more problems than it solves. Any belief system which threatens me is a form of violence. After thousands of years, religion has failed to bring fruits to harvest.

Also many of the main stream belief systems allow people to be completly rotten most of thier life, all because they think they can repent and that makes it all better. Or if they can practice non-attachment then they can sit back and watch the world go to hell.

I am not saying ban Jesus, or Muhammed, or Buddha. You couldn't stop people from believing such things if they choose, and thats fine for them. But no more Government tax breaks, no more recruitment programs, No more public rallies to attack people who disagree.
We are in the new world order already, and these religions have long been hijacked away from what they originally meant. Any more they just control and divide populations. This New World requires some new beliefs about who we are, what we are doing, and where we are going.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I am not a member of any organized religion but I am curious. Does your proposed banning of organized religions include sports? Make no mistake about it, organized sports is an organized religion.
Since I was dragged into the NWO kicking and screaming, I must have missed my actual arrival into that brave new world. Now that I'm apparently here: where ARE we going? What Are we doing? And WHO are we? Please stand and introduce yourselves. I'll start.
Hi. I'm Stan (not real name) and I'm a NWO sheep.
And the disinfranchised say: Hi Stan. Admitting it is the first step.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
How are you going to get rid of it?

Set up a fascist superstate to control what people are allowed to believe?

And this is better than religion how?

One of life's ironies is that the people who are most against religion also seem to be against freedom for other people.

curious, isn't it?

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I don't care whether the NWO is here or not. I will still fight it now as I have for quite a while.

Religion needs to go where people take it. If people want to continue large organized, mainstream religion, so be it. If the large groups break apart into smaller sects, so be it.

I left one of the large mainstreamers about a year ago for a small Christian church and have been extremely happy.

As long as people try to remain free, many will continue to choose to worship their God.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Lets get rid of Major Organized Religion.

And let the cults and kooks give us spiritual guidence

Hey, I see where your coming from. I'm a spiritual anarchist and believe the only true relationship one can have with the creator of all things comes from overthrowing the dogma. Free the chains from your mind and the chains on your soul will melt away.

I just have a problem telling someone else how they should walk their spiritual path. That is between them and their creator, whoever they consider that creator to be.

Everyone believes their religion is the right one and every other religion is false. Which means we're all damned for not believing what someone else tells us to believe.

It's really kind of silly if you ask me.

Trust your heart unto your God. Be decent enough to allow others that same right.

In the end, I do believe the creator of all things will be just.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Mrwupy, well spoken...

I share many of the same beliefs. I was raised Catholic and have had the "Dogma" of what the Catholic church defines as "God" that it caused alot of spiritual upheaval in my life that really isn't alot of fun to go through. I think everyone will come to realization of their own God through their own experiences and discovery of self is key to understanding what a "relationship" with God/Creator is.

I for one don't want the weight of someone else's spiritual development pain on my shoulders, they need to discover and overcome it themselves.

Couple of things from the Bible I've taken to heart.. When Jesus is asked what one needs to do to achieve eternal life he responds with, Love the Lord your God with all your heart. And love your fellow man as yourself. If you do these things you will live. That speaks huge to me as God is understanding and he wants you to see he is above the division of religion that we have created here...

Anyways, spot on, I just thought I'd add my thoughts as well... I do feel that organized religion holds people back from taking responsibility for their life at times and kind of deviates from what I see as spiritual enlightenment.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Golly, you know organized religion can be fun if you are really independently religious, and know the actual meanings of things that even ministers do not know!

It is not the organized religion but the knowledge of the essential truths that is worthy of your attention. They have done a good job of preserving things, but you still have to do you task of "crying in the wilderness," and otherwise apart and in communion, to get their actual message.

No please, don't do away with organized religion, sometimes it is the only alternative people have, even in the presence of dummies at the helm, to get to that portion and key of the essential truths that they themselves have not even yet found!

Besides it is current NWO public culture to "do away with organized religion," presumably so you can go into the fruitless paths of Gaia and other futilities that obscure the real truth even more than "organized religion."

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I do believe that religion was first an idea worked up by the most ancient of cultures to explain where they came from, and why they existed. Everyone eventually asks that question, and in ancient times i am sure religion wasn't so much a choice as it was like breathing.

But you can't stop religion. Billions of people in the world agree that something has to exist beyond this realm, and religion is often the most pleasing explanation. For that little peace of mind, knowing your "father" has his eye on you, assuming the Lord will catch you when you fall, that this is all going to be worth-while in the end, is usually enough to keep families believing for generations.

Today, however, religion should be held accountable for the way it exploited the masses throughout the Dark Ages and even today. Religion is like terrorism ONLY in that it exists without a land.

Unfortunately, i'm sure the end of religion would only be a precurser to the end of our species. When you take away someone's hope, and that's what God is, then you're taking away their reason to be ethical, moral, good, you find people will take greater measures to please them in the immediate now.

In other words, it is both our hatred in religion that keeps us at odds with those not like us, and our fear in God to do the right thing or be punished for eternity.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Before answering to some of these points I would like to say that I am not a religious believer, although having been brought up in a Christian society. I will try to be objective.

Originally posted by Stewart Lewis
I say it causes more problems than it solves. Any belief system which threatens me is a form of violence. After thousands of years, religion has failed to bring fruits to harvest.

Think of religion as belonging to a large community. The community can do good deeds and live peacefully with others, or depending on how big and how much power the community wields can force others into thinking the way they think. The problem of a mass religious belief is not the religion, but the people that are in charge or constitute the community.

Also many of the main stream belief systems allow people to be completly rotten most of thier life, all because they think they can repent and that makes it all better.

I know a few people that have faith in their religions (Catholic, Islam) and they are happy, caring people. They embrace many aspects of their religion as a reason to be happy. The common notion of religious people being sad and living in repentance is usually applied only to Christian and Islamic faiths, at least what I have seen from experience, and is not always the case.

I am happy living with the fact that I can choose not to be religious, and with the fact that if one day I feel alone I can subscribe to the ideas of a particular religion to be part of something big. The nature of people is always to be in a community, usually large widespread ones, so I think the notion of not allowing "global" religions to rally, express their discontent or try and "recruit" new members if NWOesque in itself.

You may not be in agreement with how certain religions are connected to violence. They way of getting rid of this is to educate and help people think more for themselves that have things thought out for them while being able to coexist with a religious community.

I work with a person of Islamic faith and this has come into discussion a couple of times. He mentions that his faith is merely a kind of moral and spiritual support and obviously does not believe that if he takes up his life in the name of his God he will meet virgins in paradise. But perhaps someone, with less resources, education and a much harder life would believe this: not because it is true, but because it is a way out of a dire situation. If that same person could chose what to watch, what to read, could feed his family with ease and his problems where of a nature similar to the problems of a person in Western Europe / North America / Japan / Australia etc. (ie: I need a better car, I would like a prettier wife, I would like to earn more money) he way of understanding and using religion would be similar to that of my colleague.

Take Europe for instance: if you stop someone in the street 400 years ago dressed as a Priest and said to a passer by "If you don't get down right now on your hands and knees and pray God will inflict his wrath upon you" they would probably do just that. If you did that nowadays to a passer by they would most probably laugh, get angry or call the police, even if the same Priest ran into a "believer". This, in great part, is due to education and the community maturing on a collective level.

P.S I am long winded and should be slapped with a large trout!

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
When i say 'get rid of organized religion', this is not to mean despose of spiritual teachings, leaders, or ritual. The gist of my plea was that churches, of any faith, should be denied access to the halls of the state. Stem cell research is an excellent example of where religions should not be involved. If a church is against an idea like Stem Cells, or abortion, or gay marrage, then they should stand thier position through the members of the congrgation, not by dening people outside the faith these options. If your against abortion, don't get one. If your against Stem cells, don't use them. But to deny an entire population is just antithetical to this country's founding beliefs.

When the opinions of people are diametrically opposed, and each is true and honest to themselves, who decides whom has the truth? When people of equal intellegence, equal reason, and equal good character hold opposing views and beliefs, how can a governing body decide justly who is right? This is the core of what I mean when I started this thread.

If you believe God has given you an principal to follow, then adhear to it in your life, heart, and mind. Don't do what God itself will not do, and that is force another to your faith.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
just a suggestion for getting rid of organized religion: tax the hell out of it (yes, i made a funny)

anyway, why are we going after just major organized religion? why don't we go after all of faith? let's get people to stop depending on this opiate.... but not through force. through ENLIGHTENMENT. through CONCIOUSNESS RAISING.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Two kids grow up in the slumbs, one walks to church every time the door is open and attends a Sunday school class every Sunday morning from the time he was eight until the time he was 30 or so. The other got into drugs and robbery to by another shot of crack. Which one is most likely to suceed?

I really feel like religion does far more good than it hurts. Not to mention some of the most beautiful buildings in the world are Churches. That provided an architect with a job and countless other skilled workers. Who would buy all those Church pianos? Where would all those choir members sing? Where would people meet their marriage partner?

I feel it needs fine tuning a bit not done away with completely. Kill the sunday evening service for one and a few other small things that make people so gullible and stupid.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Hey good idea outlaw organized religion, outlaw peoples right to worship a god of their choice in a place of their choice. You and a couple other guys I can think of had similar beliefs. Hitler, Stalin, those names ring any bells?

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voyager1
Two kids grow up in the slumbs, one walks to church every time the door is open and attends a Sunday school class every Sunday morning from the time he was eight until the time he was 30 or so. The other got into drugs and robbery to by another shot of crack. Which one is most likely to suceed?

alright, so religion is preying on the disadvantaged.
anyways, you're giving a clearly biased hypothetical situation

I really feel like religion does far more good than it hurts.

alright, you FEEL it. now PROVE it.

Not to mention some of the most beautiful buildings in the world are Churches.

well, that's clearly an issue of how much money religion holds onto...

That provided an architect with a job and countless other skilled workers.

alright, that was in the past. how about we build.. a musuem instead?

Who would buy all those Church pianos?

i don't know... but that isn't such a big deal. we could recycle them.

Where would all those choir members sing?

there are plenty of secular choirs.

Where would people meet their marriage partner?

now that's just ridiculous. actually, that is a problem. people meeting their marriage partners inside of their own religion, it fosters in group mentality and hostility towards the out groups.

I feel it needs fine tuning a bit not done away with completely. Kill the sunday evening service for one and a few other small things that make people so gullible and stupid.

well, it could be argued that the whole of religion makes people gullible and stupid.

Originally posted by gunner36
Hey good idea outlaw organized religion, outlaw peoples right to worship a god of their choice in a place of their choice. You and a couple other guys I can think of had similar beliefs. Hitler, Stalin, those names ring any bells?

wooo, GODWIN!

anyway, comparing us to hitler is kind of... well, lazy. and HONESTLY, religion has done just as much evil in the world as both of those two... probably a lot more given the amount of time it's had to corrupt everything.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I agree with you, but then people would make other stuff up to argue about.

And I think it'd be very very difficult to ban religion, and that would lead to banning of other things.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I assume you do mean to ban all religion including Scientology, Satanism, Christianity , Hinduism, Judaism and everything inbetween. What are you suggesting that we have no religion whatsoever?

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voyager1
I assume you do mean to ban all religion including Scientology, Satanism, Christianity , Hinduism, Judaism and everything inbetween. What are you suggesting that we have no religion whatsoever?

i think the intent was for organized religion to be banned. i guess holy books and personal spirituality wouldn't go away with it.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The title of this thread is not BAN GOD. It is a critique of INSTITUTIONS. I know God for myself, and I am the author of this thread. So please don't say I'm Hitler or Stalin, because that is equivalent to children tring to prove who's mother is ugliest. Please, let's not go there, I give all of us credit to go beyond that.

Look at the fact that the Christian Voice has much more sway over our politicians than say Hindu's, Satanists, or Athiest. Given this fact it results in "Legislation without Representation" over some of the most important issues of our time.

In an earlier post someone mentioned two boys, one going to church, and one turning to drugs, as if to say church prevents people from doing horrible things to themselves. Well listen up, my mother has been a crack addict for over ten years, and she will be the first to tell you all about her church life and the benifits of Jesus. Let me be clear on this, it is true my mother has reaped benifit from her associations with church, but is by no means a cure. If anything it allows her to continue her struggle because she feels it can all be absolve with some prayer and repentence. Her life is her choice, and I love her for it, Because in the end she is the one who has to face her choices in life.
Compare this to me, who has not gone to a phisical church in decades, have been known to smoke some pot from time to time, maybe even eat a mushroom every once in a while. Fact is I am good citizen, hurt no one, carry many hours of volunteer service to my community, pick up garbage on the sidewalk, always have a job, you get the point.
I guess what i'm saying in this whole drug/church rant is that not everyone needs to be threated to do what is right. I do what is right, because it feels like the best choice.

Now back to the main body of this dialogue, I believe no one does evil given thier model of the world. Hitler was not sitting around saying, " How can I be evil today". In fact he had millions of Germans telling him he was right; just like ministers, rabbis, monks, and pastors have people telling them they are right; furthermore I am not recomending we deny those people their lifestyle, just convince them to grant us the same freedom.
You see, when we have huge institutions, it allows horrible things to be done by one human being to another, because RESPONSIBILITY has been compartamentalized. Major Religions are some of these very institutions.

What If the United States was a Muslim country, or Iran was Christian? Do you suppose we would be as eager for one anothers blood? What if the people bombing abortion clinics were Taoist? Sure, we will always have things to disagree on, and that is OK. But to believe everyone outside your faith of choice is damned, that just doesn't seem like it helps the world in any way.

People say if we got rid of Institutionalized Religion then people would be robbing, raping, and killing one another. Fact is, this is already occuring, has been occuring, and seems like it will continue to occur. Do you have to be threated with hell to behave yourself?

And once again, to conclude, the title of this thread is NOT one of the following: Ban god, ban jesus, ban bibles, ban korans, ban buddha, ban candles, ban meditation, ban animal sacrafice, ban prayer, or ban the soul. Thank you to all who agree with me, and especially thank you to those who disagree.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Well sometimes you hear of the longlife crack addict or gangster getting religion, turning over a new leaf and changing his life for the better. And on the other hand a long time religion follower my turn away from religion because he/she has been in it so long they start to see through the falseity's.

I would be interested to know if their is a faction of people anywhere on the planet who live the kind of life you deem fit, with no religion whatsoever, zero, zilch?

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I would be interested to know if their is a faction of people anywhere on the planet who live the kind of life you deem fit, with no religion whatsoever, zero, zilch?

No. It would not be possible.

Voyager1,
Did you even read the post of mine directly before yours?
Please do so you can better understand the angle of this this thread.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join