It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your political compass?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I agree & understand your concern regarding access to resources. I too feel that citizens should not have their ambitions crushed. The great thing about government is it doesn't have to personify the economic models it adopts, there is plenty room for tinkering so such liberties can be valued. It can also be argued that capitalism restricts such ambitions in the same way, for those of the poorer communities.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
I agree & understand your concern regarding access to resources. I too feel that citizens should not have their ambitions crushed. The great thing about government is it doesn't have to personify the economic models it adopts, there is plenty room for tinkering so such liberties can be valued. It can also be argued that capitalism restricts such ambitions in the same way, for those of the poorer communities.
Ah, however, in a truly capitalist society (not the economic disease-ridden mutt we have in the US), the poor can get richer. Economic mobility is the great thing about capitalism.

I am glad that I only talk about economics with liberals--usually. I get really pissed off at conservatives who seem to think they know better when it comes to things like a woman's right to choose or gay marriage. Those f$@#s can kiss my ass.

In spite of being a libertarian, I'm not actually that emotionally attached to economic issues. Money is just another tool to me, and like all tools, it's easily replaceable. The same can't be said about destroying people's lives for some damn religious agenda.

If people want to destroy their own lives, they can do that as long as they don't interfere with the rights and freedoms of others, but more often than not, people freely choose to better their own lives as long as no one (e.g. the government) interferes with that free choice. Discouraging people from a particular lifestyle (like telling people that smoking might cause them cancer) is fine by me, but criminalizing it is usually not a good idea. I don't even mind taxes to discourage self-destructive behavior (like the taxes on tobacco products), but victimless crimes are just stupid.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by supercheetah

Originally posted by befoiled
Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.72

Well, I guess that puts me firmly in the commie camp. Though, in theory, I prefer libertarianism, I just don't feel we've evolved enough to make it work. Yet.

This is something I despise about the one dimensional view of American politics. There's an ocean's wide difference between American liberals and communists. I don't much care for current American liberal politics, especially their economic views, but I like them much more than communists.

On top of having a centralized economy, communism is staunchly authoritarian. While American liberals like the redistribution of money to the poor, they don't advocate for a completely centralized economy, and they're anything except authoritarian.

That was written tongue-in-cheek. I'm merely a liberal. "Commie" is the pet name for liberals given to us by the slobbering, double-digit IQ, Bush-loving, trailer park denizens of the far right.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   

That was written tongue-in-cheek. I'm merely a liberal. "Commie" is the pet name for liberals given to us by the slobbering, double-digit IQ, Bush-loving, trailer park denizens of the far right.

I don't think that was appropriate, i lean far to the right and don't call all liberals commies, just the ones that really are. Of course my IQ is more than double digit, and i don't love bush or live in a trailer park so maybe it wasn't aimed at me. Carry On then.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AegisFang

I don't think that was appropriate...

Probably not. Apologies.

[edit on 24-2-2007 by befoiled]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Economic Left/Right: -0.50 (just slightly left, surprised me a little)

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.97 (the highest authoritarian score thus far in this thread- not a surprise for me..)

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   
My results..

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Economic Left/Right: -5.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.31

Right between Mandela and Ghandi

I wish there had been just one more choice in those questions so I wasn't forced to agree of disagree on some of them

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -1.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.36

en.wikipedia.org...

That puts me right next To Gandhi

and just above Nelson Mandela.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Wow, apparently I'm the most liberal person to post results thus far.

Well, atleast I have evidence to the contrary when someone inevitably (because
I don't believe negotiation is the be-all end-all) calls me a Neocon.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join