It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Balloons to float above Pentagon to test defenses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
The Pentagon will lift off four balloons above the building for a test being conducted. They are not saying in what capacity the balloon test will enhance defense of the building or if they plan to keep this new defense up permanently.

www.reuters.com
Three large balloons will float above the Pentagon on Saturday as the U.S. Defense Department tests its chemical and biological weapons defenses, department officials said on Friday.

The balloons, each 6 feet in diameter, will be tethered to the Pentagon and sent 100 feet above the Virginia building from four different locations through the day.

According to department officials, the balloons are part of a series of tests the Pentagon does on its building defenses regularly.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It's interesting to me that they are using balloons to test for biological and chemical terrorist attacks. Are these balloons going to be a permanent part of the pentagon? What equipment is being lifted into the air and being used?

Why would the pentagon use balloons to test for bio-terror would attacks against it when if these balloons were to detect anything wouldn’t it already be too late?

Related News Links:
www.boston.com

M&C News

[edit on 17-2-2007 by whatukno]

[edit on 17-2-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Odd, wonder what they have in mind witha balloon? Do you think they might be carrying sensors of some kind?

Before you laught the thought off, look at Project Genetrix, where the US Air Force attempted touse balloon -mounted sensors to spy on the USSR. Another possibility is that they are a modern version of the Barrage Balloon of WW2. The concept being that the Ballons are teatherd on steel cables to deture aircraft from flying low.

Tim

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 04:51 AM
link   
It could also be that they are testing out some detection technology to see if it can pick out very low flying objects.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Aparently these balloons are being used allong with sensors to detect airborne bio-terror attacks. While I agree with the theory. I dissagree with the deployment of these balloons as if they do detect a harmfull chemical in the air it would already be too late to do anything about it.

However for comedic value it does apear that the pentagon is holding a garage sale.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   
What about some sort of airborne Radar system? Kind of simular to how the Navy used to use blimps. Surely, a balloon mounted radar would have a better field of view than a ground based radar set. It would incease Line-of-Sight dramatically allowing a Over the Horizon type system, but perhaps at less cost then a ground based system

Tim

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 05:17 AM
link   

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Three large balloons will float above the Pentagon on Saturday as the U.S. Defense Department tests its chemical and biological weapons defenses, department officials said on Friday.

From the orriginal article, I agree that they may be used for radar defense. But this is the reason that the military gave the press and as we all know the military would never lie to the press right?

[edit: replaced code tags with ex tags]

[edit on 19-2-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
From the orriginal article, I agree that they may be used for radar defense. But this is the reason that the military gave the press and as we all know the military would never lie to the press right?

Now that you've have your laugh, can I explaine my post?

Most Chem/Bio weapons despeserse their deadly contents as a cloud in the atmosphere to be carried on the wind. As we know, Radar can detect clouds(that why it's used for weather)

I'm not always perfect, but I'm trying to answer the question "why in a Balloon".

Tim

P.S. I find it ironic that you complain about your threads dying, but when I try to help, you laugh at my reply because I didn't develop my thoughts as well as you would have liked. Go Figure!

(or where you laughing at the offical story? If so, ignore my comments!)

[edit on 2/19/2007 by Ghost01]

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I was absolutly laughing at the official story. Not you my friend. As we all know the military is always completely honest with the press right? Thats what I was laughing at. I completely agree that radar would be effective at detecting a biochemical in the atmosphere.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Agreed! Thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding.

The reason I was wondering about the official statement is exactly what you said. What's the point of waiting to detect a chemical or biological attack untill it's right on top of you?

Then again, it is the Military!
We're talking about the same buch of brains that were burning Toxic Waste on the wind recieveing side of Groom Lake and wondered why Area 51 workers were dying

Tim

[edit on 2/19/2007 by Ghost01]

new topics

top topics

join