It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speaker Issue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Can anyone tell me what issues are involved with connecting a set of Home Stereo Speakers directly to a sound card via RCA plugs?

I was asked this by a friend and had no answer.

I know it has something to do with the OHMS or something or other, but I am ignorant in this area...

Thanks

Semper

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   
If the sound card has RCA [line-level] outputs, just connect them to the inputs on your amp/pre-amp.

If there are no RCA outputs, you can use an adapter from the "speaker/line out" port on the sound card and connect the RCAs to the inputs on your amp/pre-amp. What you're looking for in this situation is a "mini-headphone jack to RCAs" adapter.

i.e.

Hope this helps, semper ...

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Most speakers made for use with computers have a different impedance (the Ohm thing) from those used on audio systems.

To know if audio systems speakers can be connected to a sound card then you need to know the sound card specifications to see if they are compatible with the speakers.

One of the things that speakers made specifically to be used with computers have is better filtering of high frequencies, something that is quite abundant in and around a computer and that is undesirable to an audio system.

Having said all this, I have two old turntable speakers connected to my computer's sound card, and they give a great sound.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Thanks for the help all...

One thing though...

If the OHMS are not similar, will it damage either the Card or the Speakers??

Semper

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
If the Ohms of the speakers are lower than the supported by the sound card then you may damage the speakers because a stronger current is fed to them, expecting to find a stronger resistance to the current.

A higher Ohms value on the speakers does not damage either the speakers or the sound card, at least I think not, I do not work with electronics for more than 20 years.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I think you have that a bit sdrawkcab, ArMaP ...

A 16-Ohm speaker places a given load on the "source" [amp, receiver, etc]

An 8-Ohm speaker would double the load to said source, hence the speaker [Ohm] ratings for amps, receivers, etc.

If anything the potential for damage/failure is with the "source", not the speaker.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

semperfortis,

What exactly is your friend looking to do/achieve?

My initial post was with the assumption that they were trying to run it through their home stereo [amp/pre-amp/receiver] and out to the speakers (?), hence my suggestion of the "Y-adapter" from mini-to-RCAs.

If that be the case, the only "concern" would be "gain" adjustments on the receiving end, to match the sound card's output. That is, of course, assuming the receiving component allows for such.

If the query is simply to connect "stereo/home" speakers to the output of a sound card, Well ... you'll most likely get "sound", but it'll be Far from that typically considered as "music".

More insight as to expectation or purpose would certainly be helpful in determining the best "advice". Especially with regards to quality of the "end result".

Just sayin' ...

Hope this helps.

[edit: the "o" in Hope] :shk:

[edit on 17-2-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
A 16-Ohm speaker places a given load on the "source" [amp, receiver, etc]

An 8-Ohm speaker would double the load to said source, hence the speaker [Ohm] ratings for amps, receivers, etc.

If anything the potential for damage/failure is with the "source", not the speaker.

It looked like something was wrong but I couldn't say what it was.

Thanks for the correction.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
12m,

Just got off the phone with him....

Yes, it was his intention to simply hook them up straight to the sound card....

I have an old received and preamp that I can give him, but could you elaborate more on what to tell him about the "gain" issues....

(I don't know why he wont just but a good stereo system for the computer... He has heard mine but red neck as all get out.. HAHAHAHAHA)

Thanks in advance,

Semper

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
I have an old received and preamp that I can give him, but could you elaborate more on what to tell him about the "gain" issues....

semper,

It's really nothing to be concerned about, the gain/matching ... as esoteric value doesnt' seem to be the ultimate concern/goal.

Just my $.02

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
What I had done previously in a pinch was to connect desktop speakers to the headphone jack, with suitable adapter.

The sound won't be very loud, but as I am usually alone when I'm online(no other noises to interefere) , it was sufficient. Although not what anyone would consider high quality.

That's my 1 and a half cents...

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Do yourself a favor and go to the thrift store and find a old receiver with RCA in. One can usually be had for around $20. Sometimes you can find a real diamond if you shop around, like an old marantz or something. Then you can plug about any speakers you want up to it and not worry about your sound card if you have a nice one. It is especially good if you listen to music on your P.C. all the time. You also have a AM/FM radio if you want to change things up. You're going to be dropping ten on the RCA adapter cable anyway.

new topics

top topics

join